Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer Republic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    RTÉ player is needed for the time Soccer Republic is on.

I don't think Rovers require a Tallaght Stadium expansion. The crowds aren't there to warrant it.
    The expansion is not at Rovers request, but the request of the SDCC council.
    Rovers crowds are not relevant to the discussion
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Disagree about Richmond. I wouldn't say it's open. It's a natural amphitheatre, capable of generating a great atmosphere with a decent crowd, which sadly we haven't seen too often lately. Hopefully there will be a good crowd for the visit of Cork on Friday.
    Disagree. I've been in various parts of the ground over the years (not just for Rovers) and I don't really hear anything from the SEI end. I don't think sound carries well at all there.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    After Croly comments, he always has a sheepish, nervous smile and look at Collins as if to ask 'was that a good thing to say? Did I do ok?'
    Last edited by osarusan; 08/04/2015 at 10:06 PM. Reason: 1 'l' in Croly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Disagree. I've been in various parts of the ground over the years (not just for Rovers) and I don't really hear anything from the SEI end. I don't think sound carries well at all there.

I'd agree with this. Cup semi-final last year, sound didn't carry well across the ground. Apart from the slow clap where the whole ground gets involved, atmosphere is quite poor in Richmond. Open grounds with no roofs kill sound, it just goes straight up into the air.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I'd agree with this. Cup semi-final last year, sound didn't carry well across the ground. Apart from the slow clap where the whole ground gets involved, atmosphere is quite poor in Richmond. Open grounds with no roofs kill sound, it just goes straight up into the air.
    Ah slow down now, Pat Dolan...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Ah slow down now, Pat Dolan...
    ...sorry...what?

7. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    That interview with the Bray chairman

Turns out there wasn't an issue. Or there was an issue but there wasn't one on Tuesday, just an issue on Wednesday. But there's no issue with that because since there was no issue before and merely a small issue later, it's not an issue.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paykanti View Post
    That interview with the Bray chairman

Turns out there wasn't a tissue. Or there was a tissue but there wasn't one on Tuesday, just a tissue on Wednesday. But there's no tissue with that because since there was no tissue before and merely a small tissue later, it's not a tissue.
    I couldn't resist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    ...sorry...what?

That is a most unfortunate photo of Pat with the whole hand to mouth blur things. I wonder was he as lghtening quick eating a certain ex Dundalk FC employee..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    The Tony O'Donoghue interview with the Athlone chairman - Why play a music track over such an important and decent interview? That grated the ****** of me tbh.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Interesting discussion between Brian Kerr and Dave Barry last night. Kerr wanted to discuss attacking versus defensive football, but Barry interpreted this as Dublin versus Cork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I thought Kerr had some very decent points though RE Cork and Liam Miller. Where Miller constantly comes looking for the ball short and play some simple passing football, too many Cork players were looking for the long lump forward. I guess it shows the difference between international standard and where some of our players are at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I thought Kerr had some very decent points though RE Cork and Liam Miller. Where Miller constantly comes looking for the ball short and play some simple passing football, too many Cork players were looking for the long lump forward. I guess it shows the difference between international standard and where some of our players are at.
    I don't understand why Barry derailed the discussion by going on about the Dublin media. Wasn't he in Dublin and on the media?

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I don't understand why Barry derailed the discussion by going on about the Dublin media. Wasn't he in Dublin and on the media?
    Dave Barry is a bit of a dinosaur in footballing terms. He hasn't made sense for about 10 years now.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Everything is Cork v Dublin to Barry. I saw him in Eddie Rockets on Friday before the game. He over heard someone say that the Eddie Rockets in Phibsboro is the nices. He was fuming. Clearly Dublin bias.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I disagree, Dave Barry is one of the more knowledgable pundits, knowing players names without it written on a sticky somewhere. His views/analysis I find is ok, no worse or no more predictable as Byrne. Unfortunately he too suffers from the belief that there is an anti Cork bias exuded from Dublin and its media. El Pietro here on Foot is one of the very few Cork fans who dont constantly play the seige mentality card. CityRebel (very quiet these days) is the opposite and in the majority of the opinion that 'Dublin' is out to get Cork etc. Its a long running saga that was given a boost by Roy Keane and his whinging about having to travel to Dublin to train for Ireland at underage levels - shock horror that international representatives meet up and play in the capital. If there is a bias or favouritism in media outlets it is pro Dublin based clubs rather than anit Cork. Understandable if employees of media groups that are based in the capital end up top heavy with supporters of Dublin clubs. I dont happen to think this is the case as most are balanced enough. If it is to do with refereeing the issue is that they are all generally poor rather than 'Dublin ref syndrome'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Maybe that's the difference between a good manager and a poor one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Ridden Rock Solid again. Rico said that - the only Dub I have time for because his comments suit my agenda.

Dave Barry is a hero of mine, obviously, and normally I like him as a pundit as well. But this Cork v Dublin thing is getting old now. We built a lovely new motorway years ago so fellas from Cork can get to national training sessions easier and so we can go to All Ireland's quicker without having to slum it via Iranrod eireann. When the Newlands Cross flyover is finished perhaps the Dublin media bias perception can be finished with it.

Regards, the real capital.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Like Nesta, I do think that Dave Barry is a knowledable pundit and knows the teams and players inside out. I suppose we all get defensive about our own teams. There was the making a good discussion about Cork's tactics and whether it could hold back their title challenge. However, Barry killed it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    There is defensive (both tactically and about tactics) then there is playing defenders in midfield which is extreme to say the least. Cork have a squad that shouldnt be afraid of being more positive away from Turners Cross. If Caulfield is targeting home wins and then not losing away he should be warned that Dundalk while unbeaten at home in the league since 2013 wouldnt have won the league without winning away to Cork, Pats, and Rovers last season!

Just looking back there on RTE Player and DB does say something a bit odd just before 14mins, along the lines of "Miller is probably the best man in the league to get on the ball - I haven't seen him now, and pass it...judge him after 7 games not one".

If he hasnt seen him why the issue with Kerr saying Miller's teamates should be getting him on the ball more through the middle rather than the super direct back to front long ball especially v 10 men. It was far from critical Kerr was being. Even if it was just analysis of that one game where Cork failed to take advantage of being a man up it was still a valid point.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 14/04/2015 at 12:04 PM.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast