Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer Republic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Or... you know, show highlights... A lot of the time they end up showing the goals and very little, if nothing else.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
    That would involve doing some work - getting out of the studio, making enquiries, arranging meetings, filming, editing, etc. etc.
    I'd prefer better and longer highlights. That's what I really don't get about MNS and now Soccer Republic. Surely the big cost is the camera's at all the grounds, and they use in house stuff for the editing etc. Then they insist on minimising the return on the costs, so a few bitter ex-pros and disinterest RTE staffers can talk rubbish for longer.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    As I've often said- I like the national team being brought in from time to time. There are plenty of people interested in the nation team that may not be into the league that much and having them on together is no harm.

It's the overload of analysts I see as the biggest issue.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Most of them are ****e analysts at that. How Alan Cawley is getting so much media work is beyond me, but then I never liked him from his brief time at LTFC.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    There is something about Cawleys voice/accent that isnt tv or radio friendly but what he has to say is fine. He obviously works on his tv persona so he does. Sadlier gets champions league, internationals and LoI and could be chatting about gaa and get away with it, Cawley getting rte.ie work and kept on SR id imagine is no coincidence. He always seems like he is rushing to get his point across before he gets cut off all the time so speaks a mile a minute!

I wish there was more of the games shown and maybe a 1st division round up of goals only but never gonna happen. The mixing in of international stuff may open the league highlights to a broader audience but it is also possible that there are not always that many 'highlights' in games especially in half empty grounds. There could be muck ball on show but if there looks to be busy stadia the perception of the indifferent would be more positive i reckon. Oriel Park has few flaws but one it does have is that it could be sold out and on tv but the crowd can look sparse as people are dotted about the town end. At least with tallaght its obvious that there are 2 stands and behind the goals aren't used. This crosses in to the argument that away fans being accomodated in the stand only would make the stand full and look better on TV. Perception is everything and Sky have exploited that and making lawn bowling seem edge of your seat stuff!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    There is something about Cawleys voice/accent that isnt tv or radio friendly
    Funny coming from someone from Dundalk.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    There is something about Cawleys voice/accent that isnt tv or radio friendly
    That's it, have a pop at the Sligonians.

Reminds me of the Niall Toibin story about the American researcher in a Dundalk pub asking the customers about anti-Semitic views.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Never hailed the Dundalk accent as easy on the ear! I guessed that would be the part of the post that would be picked out mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Never hailed the Dundalk accent as easy on the ear! I guessed that would be the part of the post that would be picked out mind.
    It didn't do Jimmy Magee any harm.

It is not the general accent that is important, it is the individual's tone of voice. Crawley's does grate a bit, so it does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    In fairness the show is no longer about just the league.

That irish abroad bit was ok, definitely preferable to have it as a regular feature than randomly give twenty mins to the english leagues. Just keep highlighting all the former loi players. And the whole Duff thing was directly as a result of it, we could do with more of that kind of publicity once in a blue moon.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    In fairness the show is no longer about just the league.
    The main gripes relate to the decision to relegate the actual football to a sideshow of the numerous pundits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Is Soccer Republic available on RTÉ player? Can't seem to find it online, although I'm aware tonight's show probably isn't online yet.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yes, it is available but probably won't be up until the morning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Was up when I had a look just after 1am night owl that I am. It is a little annoying to have music over the highlights for games like at Turners Cross that drowns out the roar of the crowd. It is great to see such a busy stadium and when Cork scored the full ground was obvious. The music on the other hand deflects a little from smaller crowds elsewhere. The marketing value to Turners Cross as an enclosed stadium, big crowd and obvious atmosphere is totally under used by the powers that be. The noise that can be generated in Oriel isnt too bad in a wide open ground, i'd love to experience it more enclosed too. Tallaght really needs the goal end more enclosed to maximise the modern ground impact. To make this thread a bit less off topic , the size of the crowd came across in the highlights even with the music...how much easier it would be to get a league wide bandwagon going if TV viewers were seeing this example more often. Richmond could be hopping with better crowds and would look great too the was it is on TV.

*Just watching SR there now properly and I was wrong about music over the highlights. Maybe I was thinking about the crammed commentary. Comparison sticks though, the sound of individual shouts, a drum, muted celebration after scoring at Tallaght and lost in the open ground as opposed to Turners Cross where the crowd row sounded as if the mics were distorting from the volume of the roar.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 07/04/2015 at 2:14 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Tallaght really needs the goal end more enclosed to maximise the modern ground impact.
    There are plans underway and funding ring-fenced to put a stand in at the Square end, to the best of my knowledge. Whether it will go ahead any time soon is another matter. But yeah, the openness of Tallaght does really detract from the atmosphere even when there's a big/loud away support.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    For the record I'm not having a go at Rovers or Tallaght, it just feels souless as ive mentioned before as the atmosphere gets lost. It sounded dead enough on the highlights tonight yet there was a reasonable crowd. A similar gate in Richmond Park would probably be comparable to Turners Cross for atmosphere. How hostile must it feel traveling to Cork as opposed to a bigger crowd in Tallaght yet less intimidating, inside the ground at least! United Park as a small compact ground when full is fierce at times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    No I get what you mean. I wouldn't call it "soulless" for obvious reasons but it certainly has been a challenge to make it a loud place, particularly while the crowds tumbled after the European adventure.

It was a flat atmosphere on Friday but that was in part due to a disappointing crowd and the fact a lot people were understandably not in a festive mood after Thursday's news. I think Richmond and Dalymount have similar problems though as they are quite open too, but the proximity of the away fans to the main stand helps in Dalyer. I can't comment on Turner's X as the only time I was there it wasn't a big crowd but from what I hear it's the best atmosphere around.

I think having a third stand in Tallaght would help, particularly if away fans are stationed there, but it won't solve the problem either of having 3,000 people in an 8,000-seater (post-expansion) stadium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    RTÉ player is needed for the time Soccer Republic is on.

I don't think Rovers require a Tallaght Stadium expansion. The crowds aren't there to warrant it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    . I think Richmond and Dalymount have similar problems though as they are quite open too,
    Disagree about Richmond. I wouldn't say it's open. It's a natural amphitheatre, capable of generating a great atmosphere with a decent crowd, which sadly we haven't seen too often lately. Hopefully there will be a good crowd for the visit of Cork on Friday.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Disagree about Richmond. I wouldn't say it's open. It's a natural amphitheatre, capable of generating a great atmosphere with a decent crowd, which sadly we haven't seen too often lately. Hopefully there will be a good crowd for the visit of Cork on Friday.
    Have to agree! A good crowd at Richmond Park generates one of the best atmospheres in the league.

On Cawley of recent shows he doesnt seem as frantic getting his point over. Maybe he takes a peek at foot.ie as the 'so it is' end to every sentence stopped soon after a bit of slagging too.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 08/04/2015 at 6:56 PM.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast