Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer Republic

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    That the GAA is full of a lack of sportsmanship. I'd have thought that bit was obvious. I played and supported the game of Gaelic Football all my life and fell away from it around 4 or 5 years ago altogether once I realised how petty and bitter the game had become. Too many people get away with too much crap. The first sign of anything decent being done by the GAA was the ban handed out to the Tyrone player for feigning injury, to which a good 75% of GAA fans and players ended up outraged at the decision.
    I fail to see how Dundalk disciplining their player would in any way equate to "sticking two fingers up to the GAA". Also, i don't know who you've been talking to but from what I've seen there's been massive approval from the general GAA community over the ban.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    He also missed two elbows on Dundalk players. Refs miss things, that's what happens. The incident was in front of me and I missed the heel at the time, thought he just accidentally caught him as he came through and so did everyone around me. He obviously didn't clearly see it.
    Only the ref did see the kick as he gave Towell a yellow for it

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    When I saw this incident live, I thought it was accidental. But it certainly does not appear that way from the TV footage. Irrespective of whether or not Richie Towell intended to hurt it is crystal clear that an apology is due directly to the player involved.

Making a more public apology would also be appropriate for a whole host of different reasons.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Really? I'd have thought you'd have put out your strongest XI in chasing the double.

We'll have a couple of players back from suspensions but are still really stretched.
    The players I mentioned there as possibly starting aren't exactly fringe players. Bar Sava they would expect to be close to starting every week anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedwood View Post
    Only the ref did see the kick as he gave Towell a yellow for it
    He got a yellow because of Foresters reaction and the scuffles that followed, easiest thing for the ref to do was book both players. I don't think he would have been booked otherwise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    The players I mentioned there as possibly starting aren't exactly fringe players. Bar Sava they would expect to be close to starting every week anyway.
    Yeah - as long as the rest of the others play. Your team in the League Cup was very weak but I suppose you have to give those lads a game at some stage! Only a couple of missed pens by regulars cost you a place in the final.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Yeah - as long as the rest of the others play. Your team in the League Cup was very weak but I suppose you have to give those lads a game at some stage! Only a couple of missed pens by regulars cost you a place in the final.
    We won that competition last season by playing fringe players up to the final. I presume Kenny thought he could do the same this year.

However, Kenny has spoken consistently that the FAI Cup could be huge in growing Dundalk's support in the north-east. He thinks we could take up to 20,000 to the Aviva. I would expect a very strong side, There will be some changes; Shields, Kilduff, and Meenan instead of O'Donnell, McMillan, and Mountney.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    That the GAA is full of a lack of sportsmanship. I'd have thought that bit was obvious. I played and supported the game of Gaelic Football all my life and fell away from it around 4 or 5 years ago altogether once I realised how petty and bitter the game had become. Too many people get away with too much crap. The first sign of anything decent being done by the GAA was the ban handed out to the Tyrone player for feigning injury, to which a good 75% of GAA fans and players ended up outraged at the decision.
    Totally agree with this post and like you I was big into GAA until around 4 or 5 years ago when I realised what a horrible and bitter 'sport' it was

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    I take it the referee didn't see the incident so it could be open to retrospective action? Hence why an apology may not be forthcoming

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Still nothing from Oriel, the usual FAI modus operandi of "ah sure, it's grand, they'll forget about it soon" really seems to be the way to go. I have to get hold of their PR people and recommend them to the Russian Government! The Yanks who are currently running the show in the Kremlin are obviously not up to the task!
    http://www.championat.com/bets/artic...r-week-16.html

Giving the Russians a weekly taste of our glorious LOI!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Have the FAI ever banned anyone based solely on video evidence? I can't remember it off the top of my head anyway.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Have the FAI ever banned anyone based solely on video evidence? I can't remember it off the top of my head anyway.
    Stephen Henderson is up on FAI disrepute charges over claims he allegedly made about a FAS scheme, yet FAS is government funded and operated. Sadly this is all a case of "nothing to see here, move on." Again our league makes a joke of itself.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Still nothing from Oriel, the usual FAI modus operandi of "ah sure, it's grand, they'll forget about it soon" really seems to be the way to go. I have to get hold of their PR people and recommend them to the Russian Government! The Yanks who are currently running the show in the Kremlin are obviously not up to the task!
    Why should DFC? I genuinely don't get the Maude Flanders routine being pulled here by you and others? And that's not justifying or downplaying what happened in any way, shape or form. He should have got sent off and a ban. length depending on whether the ref put it down as violent conduct or not.

There's been a million and one worse things to happen on a football pitch than this, but yet won't someone think of the children/ down with this sort of thing... Careful now is the cry and Dundalk should fall on that sword/ die on that hill and voluntarily ban him for the rest of the season and other assorted toys being thrown out of prams, kettles being called black, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria going on.

If it was any other club in the league they'd be doing the exact same as Dundalk, say nothing and it's up to the referee, the 4th official and the match report. Whether the incident was seen by the ref and included in the match report no-one knows yet. If it was then no further action will be taken if the ref said the entire incident was covered by the caution, if not he'll get done and take his ban. Nothing more to it or less to it than that. It was nasty and Pats fans/ other people/ even Dundalk fans were saying it deserved a red (and was snidey etc if he meant it).

By the by, Richie already had the decency/ courtesy and rang the young fella to apologise yesterday. At least he did that relatively straight away as it seems that he'll be hung, drawn and quartered by weeks end. Hopefully with the pics on instagram and a suitable hashtag, maybe even a live stream on Persicope.

Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Was used in the racism/ Zayed thing the other year but we don't have the cameras or the coverage over here really. Goes by as I said above, ref/ assistants/ 4th official/ match assessors reports generally speaking.

Anyway, all the best to young McGrath and I hope he's back recovered and playing soon.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    The Yanks who are currently running the show in the Kremlin are obviously not up to the task!
    Feck the football stuff I want to know more about this!

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Still nothing from Oriel, the usual FAI modus operandi of "ah sure, it's grand, they'll forget about it soon" really seems to be the way to go.
    What are you expecting DFC to do? Hold a special press conference with Towell in attendance himself?

Kenny was quoted in the Sun today saying it was a careless kick by Richie and that Towell himself had phoned the guy to apologise.

Nothing more will come out of this, we all know Towell should have been sent off and should be starting a 3 match ban, but it wasn't spotted by the ref and this wont be the last time something like this is missed.

It was awful that McGrath had his nose broken, he is a fine prospect and I`m sure he will bounce back as an even better player, one thing for sure he didn't deserve what happened.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    FAI could easily say Towell was booked for his reaction, the ref didn't see the kick, and he'll be suspended.

It would be bullsh!t but nobody would even try to call them on it.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    It would be bullsh!t but nobody would even try to call them on it.
    Stephen Kenny would for certain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelwest View Post
    Why should DFC? I genuinely don't get the Maude Flanders routine being pulled here by you and others? And that's not justifying or downplaying what happened in any way, shape or form. He should have got sent off and a ban. length depending on whether the ref put it down as violent conduct or not.

There's been a million and one worse things to happen on a football pitch than this, but yet won't someone think of the children/ down with this sort of thing... Careful now is the cry and Dundalk should fall on that sword/ die on that hill and voluntarily ban him for the rest of the season and other assorted toys being thrown out of prams, kettles being called black, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria going on.

If it was any other club in the league they'd be doing the exact same as Dundalk, say nothing and it's up to the referee, the 4th official and the match report. Whether the incident was seen by the ref and included in the match report no-one knows yet. If it was then no further action will be taken if the ref said the entire incident was covered by the caution, if not he'll get done and take his ban. Nothing more to it or less to it than that. It was nasty and Pats fans/ other people/ even Dundalk fans were saying it deserved a red (and was snidey etc if he meant it).

By the by, Richie already had the decency/ courtesy and rang the young fella to apologise yesterday. At least he did that relatively straight away as it seems that he'll be hung, drawn and quartered by weeks end. Hopefully with the pics on instagram and a suitable hashtag, maybe even a live stream on Persicope.

Was used in the racism/ Zayed thing the other year but we don't have the cameras or the coverage over here really. Goes by as I said above, ref/ assistants/ 4th official/ match assessors reports generally speaking.

Anyway, all the best to young McGrath and I hope he's back recovered and playing soon.
    Finally some sense on here, the reaction has been utterly ridiculous. He should have been sent off, he might still get a ban and nobody would complain, he has apologised to McGrath, but there will be no public flogging I'm afraid!

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    What are you expecting DFC to do? Hold a special press conference with Towell in attendance himself?

Kenny was quoted in the Sun today saying it was a careless kick by Richie and that Towell himself had phoned the guy to apologise.

Nothing more will come out of this, we all know Towell should have been sent off and should be starting a 3 match ban, but it wasn't spotted by the ref and this wont be the last time something like this is missed.

It was awful that McGrath had his nose broken, he is a fine prospect and I`m sure he will bounce back as an even better player, one thing for sure he didn't deserve what happened.
    Kenny was lying or at best wrong - it was not a careless kick, he kicked a prone opponent to the head. What am I expecting? Sadly, nothing. Zero. Nothing but the type of excuses Colonelwest used - worse stuff happens, Maude Flanders etc etc. We all agree Richie should have got the line, I'm sure he himself and the manager are relieved too. However it shows their is zero honour in sport and that our club is the same as any other, no better, no worse.

In 2010 I was sickened by the lack of class shown by Meath in the aftermath of the cheating in Croker. I thought that at least the players would have the courage to stand up to the County Board, or at least the County Board would do the right thing and say "when we saw it on video, it was totally clear. Let's go for it again!" But it was Meath and they don't do decency (IMO).

The excuse of "he called the young fella" is all well and good and makes for nice - nothing to see here PR, but I'd like for once our clubs and association to show really amazing class and do something that the barstoolers would tumble into their carpeted pub floors in shock with. Then again, I'm still waiting for an athlete caught doping to say - "Yeah, I did it, sorry. I will race/play clean from now on."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Feck the football stuff I want to know more about this!
    Ketchum Inc (who are in the Omnicom Group) have been advising the Kremlin on PR and policy since, I think, 2006, and before that it was another US company. They made a big show last year of "distancing" themselves from the government after the LGBT law, Crimea etc - they tried to make out they were not advising on foreign or domestic policy other than finance and liaising with western media. However an internal memo was leaked with their advice on the MH17 spin and 2 other incidents. When I was working on a project with RIA-Novosti for Sochi, a briefing was sent to all journos on "message". Omnicom are a giant, as far as I know, nothing is too dirty or dodgy for them, and rightly so. But I heard they turned down a contract with the FAI :-)

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast