Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 attendances

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    My neighbours go to Derry. We go to Harps. Its about the same distance and theres many like that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Derry's sphere of influence would extend very much so into Donegal with supporters from border towns and villages like Killea, Newtowncunningham, Muff and Fahan. Inishowen generally would probably orientate towards Derry with dwellers there who might follow the LOI having little real or daily-life link to Ballybofey.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Terryland is lucky to be located where it is ; walking distance from town centre, parking at blackbox being advantages. Also you do not have the dislike(hatred even) of the local residents as is the case in Salthill towards gaa fans.
    I think price of tickets may be a factor, get people and then try and get more money off then in the club shop. All clubs should really have a clubhouse type facility like a lot of non-league clubs in England.Great away support by Shamrock R and compared to other live sports in Ireland the atmosphere created by the fans, apart from the big championship gaa games, is way better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Anyone direct me to the 2015 attendances thread? Im sure the census figures and all were discussed in the 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, etc. There was a break circa 2001 as it was the "foot and mouth" outbreak that was at fault that year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    "foot and mouth" outbreak that was at fault that year.
    Crazy forgettable times, not sure if it was this outbreak but when Dundalk played Monaghan supporters werent allowed in to the ground for fear of foot and mouth 'n all so Dundalk supporters hopped the fence and watched the game from the field beside with the damn cows watching on. Best view ever and free to view too!

Population is of course relevant and restrictive in general with a few exceptions. Think its on average about 1% of population that attends live games Europe wide so our crowds are within average based on population alone. But we are a sports mad country and the issue persists that as many travel abroad regularly for games, with the frustrations for us that the belef is with that additional support given locally a more professional setup could occur. Im not entirely convinced that greater support would do much more than inflate wages, reduce volunteerism, payed excessive administrators, FAI justifying pay increases and so on rather than give greater room for ground and youth development etc imo.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Any official figure from Longford yet?
    Club official told me last night there was 1872 paying spectators Saturday night of which 500-600 were Shams fans. Closer to the 600 mark I'd say.
    Last edited by Town Legend; 16/03/2015 at 11:16 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LOI_Fanatic View Post
    Counted 7 Buses in the away car park after the game...

I'd of out the attendance at about 1300.

Stand looked half full with about 80 in the "famous section o".
    Longford team bus might have been one of them, probably left from Tallaght too!
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Ridiculous comment.

Our players drive down as far as I know.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I'm not sure if that was a typo Marty but we've never, ever gotten 5k out there for a Town game! In the Kenny days we got 1,500 or so for a few league games, since then we've had maybe 3k for various cup games and just over 4,000 for the league cup final in 2004.

Nigel Terryland is a ten minute walk from the centre of Galway.
    Remember the local press in 2000/01 quoted those figures when we played Pats in the FAI Cup at home and Waterford in the cup semi replay. I always thought the crowds were the largest in my time going there as it was pre the seats being put in the ground. I am only going by what the media said at the time.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuisaSaigon View Post
    Longford team bus might have been one of them, probably left from Tallaght too!
    Galway fans seem to be very high and mighty about the fact we have a lot of Dublin players. While we would all love more local lads all you can ask for is the players give 110% to the jersey and the fans no matter where they come from and that's what this squad of players do, there's a great connection with the fans and the players. Suppose it's one of many things such a model club like Galway can look down on given their great 13 month history.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    I do have to laugh at (normally on LOI) fans who come out with these comments but would rather sit and watch Man Utd and Man City play with all the local Manchester talent on their team..... It's not the GAA where you play for your local parish!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Remember the local press in 2000/01 quoted those figures when we played Pats in the FAI Cup at home and Waterford in the cup semi replay. I always thought the crowds were the largest in my time going there as it was pre the seats being put in the ground. I am only going by what the media said at the time.
    Yeah it was harder to estimate the crowds pre seating but I was told some years ago that although those games had big crowds they weren't up on 5,000 anyway. Well if the money actually taken in was any indication anyway.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Galway fans seem to be very high and mighty about the fact we have a lot of Dublin players. While we would all love more local lads all you can ask for is the players give 110% to the jersey and the fans no matter where they come from and that's what this squad of players do, there's a great connection with the fans and the players. Suppose it's one of many things such a model club like Galway can look down on given their great 13 month history.
    No need to get your knickers in a twist, Longford have always been a Dublin club. Train in Dublin, do your business in Dublin. All of your players are based in Dublin. It's nothing new and it's been like that since before Alan Matthews and Stephen Kenny.

Personally I wouldn't be able to support a club like that with such little self identity, each to their own. It worked for a few years with Longford winning the cup twice.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    I like Harps to have players from the area because it helps to bring people in. But I would never ever agree with having a player just for that reason- the club, and any club, should field the best players the budget allows. I'm sure Longford do not have a policy of not signing locals- probably like Monaghan the standard of local player simply isn't there and the idea that they should hobble themselves by using substandard locals is crazy- they'd be dead in no time.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    There are good players in every county but they have to be developed and given a chance. Case and point - Sean Prunty. Longford aren't just signing players from Dublin, they do all their business there and train there which is completely counter-productive in my opinion. Where's the clubs identity? Why don't they just play games in Dublin too?

A few clubs have done similar in recent years: Monaghan United, Longford Town and most recently Athlone Town but to Athlone's credit they mostly trained and signed players in the midlands. Obviously you don't just sign a player because he's local.
    Last edited by Olander; 16/03/2015 at 10:48 PM.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Seeing as you've said this a couple of times, what business do we do in Dublin aside from training? Which is in Kildare technically. We may use a Dublin bus company for away games I suppose but there's a good few Dublin games this year so bus journeys will be rare. I believe there's been a fair bit of investment into the youth side of things lately with a new pitch opening soon at the ground and a proper tie up with the Schoolboys league.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    We've played local teams down the years and finished bottom of the first division playing in front of 50 people and I have have witnessed that. Longford had local players in Adrian and Gary Murphy, Stephen Brennan and John Rodgers but those boys also played GAA with their local clubs. Longford has a very competitive Championship where rarely any club retains a title. Because of this it has huge interest around the county and that not only pulls from the Towns attendance but also players choose to play GAA instead.

And your statement about us playing in Dublin is ridiculous. Sure while you're at it write to Arsenal and tell them to play in France and they can be placed by Man City at the Emirates considering the amount of players they signed from Arsenal over the years. It sounds like Galway supporters are jealous of how Longford run their club and haven't had to be reincarnated 4 or 5 times! If you like we could put a little DVD together to show you how to run a club and not let it go bust, because I hear ye like DVD's down in Galway!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Holds 1500. I would have said it was around two thirds full. It wasn't at the start of the game but it filled up a bit as the latecomers arrived.
    It wasn't 2/3 full. A little over 1/2 full I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    No need to get your knickers in a twist, Longford have always been a Dublin club. Train in Dublin, do your business in Dublin. All of your players are based in Dublin. It's nothing new and it's been like that since before Alan Matthews and Stephen Kenny.

Personally I wouldn't be able to support a club like that with such little self identity, each to their own. It worked for a few years with Longford winning the cup twice.
    This is the weirdest attempt to manufacture a rivalry since the Sligo fans on here started banging on about Finn Harps, much to the latter's bemusement.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Will we agree on 5/8 full?

i think what Olander is trying to get across is that anybody who plays with Galway whos not from there he will not support that player. Instead he will ridicule and abuse him. Seems harsh but that's the way he operates!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    This is the weirdest attempt to manufacture a rivalry since the Sligo fans on here started banging on about Finn Harps, much to the latter's bemusement.
    Strange angle to take, no rivalry or manufacturing going on here.

Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast