Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2015

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yep. Fenlon to try play it cagey, snatch a goal at home and hang on. What's the worst that could happen?

Still expect them to go through though.
    Ha ha. That still gives me the chuckle.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Not directly related but top Faroe island team B36 Thorshavn in mid season at home to a welsh team and 11/4 to win looks easy money, as long as the home team win of course.

I'll go for a score draw between Cork and KR but I would not be surprised if KR win. For the most part Icelandic clubs do okay in european competition. KR are by far the biggest football club here, much bigger club than Cork City. At the last count they have about 60 teams competing at various levels, male/ female. About 30 youth coaches all told. About 7 of the first team are from the academy.
    It's a very good KR team, though "not a great" KR team, but they are just hitting their stride in the local league, they badly need a front man. Cork's claim to fame, according to local press, is the presence of Liam Miller and his (very modest) connection with Manchester United. Liam is what makes Cork City famous.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Not directly related but top Faroe island team B36 Thorshavn in mid season at home to a welsh team and 11/4 to win looks easy money, as long as the home team win of course.

UCD at 5/1 at home to the Luxembourg team ain't a bad bet either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Rovers goalkeeper Craig Hyland made two remarkable saves after the break in what proved to be the proverbial game of two halves at the Stade d'Oberkorn in Differdange, last night.

And though both sides also hit the woodwork, on the evidence of the first half, Rovers' manager Pat Fenlon must feel quietly confident of getting through this tie at Tallaght Stadium next Tuesday night.

Despite the stifling 30 degree heat, Rovers started boldly, passing the ball well and opening Progrès up down the right flank on five minutes.

Simon Madden got forward to cut back and cross off his left foot. Marty Waters' glancing header wasn't far wide of Sebastian Flauss' far post.

Rovers got in behind on the opposite flank five minutes later. This time Brandon Miele, after working a one-two with Gavin Brennan, put Mikey Drennan in down the inside left channel. French defender Samuel Dog got across well to nick the ball off the Hoops' striker's toe for Rovers' first corner.

Four minutes after that Drennan was inches from punishing a defensive mistake when shaving the outside of a post with a low drive as Rovers maintained the upperhand.

Brennan then brought the first save out of Progres keeper Sebastian Flauss with a header from Gary McCabe's free kick on the right.

And the chances kept coming for Rovers. McCabe cleverly beat two defenders only to scuff his shot off target on 21 minutes.

Progres gradually came into it with Hakim Menai having their first chance when shooting into the side-netting on 27 minutes.

The Luxembourg side were gifted a second sight of the Rovers goal on 35 minutes from Hyland's poor clearance. But Giuseppe Rossini skied the chance over the top. Rovers then had a right let off two minutes later. Valentin Poinsignon picked out poorly marked dangerman Rossini whose lob came back off a post.

Their confidence raised, Progrès had another chance before the break with Rossini bringing a comfortable save out of Hyland from Poinsignon's left wing cross.

But Hyland had to make his first telling save with a superb stop from Rossini's header from Thill's cross with the ball frantically scrambled clear in the first minute after the restart.

Not surprisingly in the heat, the tempo of the game dropped, before Rovers had Hyland to thank for the save of the game on 74 minutes.

Cassan had a shot blocked away with the ball setting up nicely for Thill and the midfielder's curling shot with the outside of his left foot was brilliantly touched away one-handed by Hyland.

P NIEDERCORN 0 SHAMROCK RVS 0
    We are the SR the SRFC.......
    Part time Finn Harps too :)

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    . Cork's claim to fame, according to local press, is the presence of Liam Miller and his (very modest) connection with Manchester United. Liam is what makes Cork City famous.
    Edit - read it wrong.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 01/07/2015 at 9:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Where in the Cork Press did you read that Liam Miller was Cork's claim to fame? Have you a link?
    I assume hes talking about Reykjavik press. He always talks up Icelandic teams and talks down Irish teams chances against them.

9. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I assume hes talking about Reykjavik press. He always talks up Icelandic teams and talks down Irish teams chances against them.
    With the mention of Luxembourg and Iceland, Rovers two best aggregate scores in Europe where against teams from Luxembourg and Iceland. I had the pleasure of attending the Spora Luxembourg game back in the late 60s I think (4-1 and also won the away leg by the same score - the late Johnny Fulham scored) and the great game against Bayern Munich followed next and they also stuffed Fram Reykjavik in the early 1980s and it's no co-incidence that both were excellent Rovers' sides.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I assume hes talking about Reykjavik press. .
    That makes a lot more sense alright thanks.

I wouldn't be overly confident but we have a lot of experience in the team. I think it might stand to us. I hope a big crowd shows up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    That makes a lot more sense alright thanks.

I wouldn't be overly confident but we have a lot of experience in the team. I think it might stand to us. I hope a big crowd shows up.
    It's hard to gauge this one, but hopefully their 60 teams and 30 cause them a bit of a selection headache.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I think were about even. Its really hard to know as we have nothing to measure them against.

They've beaten Glentoran twice in the past few years but its hard to give them credit for that as Northern Irish clubs just don't care about European football. They have also beaten MSK Zilina though back in 2011.

Zilina were in the CL group stages the year before that but haven't done much since so I don't know how good they were that year and its been several years since, I know we've improved a lot since 2011!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Not LOI but definitely Europe related, I read last night that the Crusaders manager was not at his CL first round game at home, as 'he was on a pre booked family holiday'

This is just tremendous, not like they didnt know the dates months in advance.
    Last edited by oriel; 01/07/2015 at 1:55 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

16. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I guess he didn't think they'd win the league. And somehow also fail to make the Europa League.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Not LOI but defintely Europe related, I read last night that the Crusaders manager was not at his CL first round game at home, as 'he was on a pre booked family holiday'

This is just tremendous, not like they didnt know the dates months in advance.
    I read something about him not being present alright. It's almost unbelievable.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It happens every year in NI. To be fair, this is probably the only time lads with young kids will get a chance to take them on holiday before the season proper starts. It still shows how small-time the set-up up there is, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It happens every year in NI. To be fair, this is probably the only time lads with young kids will get a chance to take them on holiday before the season proper starts. It still shows how small-time the set-up up there is, though.
    Very provincial in mindset so they are.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Very provincial in mindset so they are.
    It shows up regularly, the whole mithering about the Setanta Cup and the never ending concessions that the IL clubs have had yet it's always geared in some way to the Southern teams. I'd have thought that the revenue would be attractive enough from Europe all the same.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think I've ever heard of it happening at Linfield or Cliftonville - clubs that actually have a bit of ambition. It's the likes of Crues and Glenavon where you get this every year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    When you consider they could reach the EL play-off round as they've 2 winnable ties against Estonian and Albanian sides in the CL draw,you really have to question the logic behind it.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Was just saying they'd have another round to win, but you're right - is that a new rule?

So if Dundalk beat BATE, they're guaranteed four more games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    It shows up regularly, the whole mithering about the Setanta Cup and the never ending concessions that the IL clubs have had yet it's always geared in some way to the Southern teams. I'd have thought that the revenue would be attractive enough from Europe all the same.
    I was making a quip about their geographical location... the Province.

But yes, I never undertsand why they alway moan about everything. Oh no. Wait, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard of it happening at Linfield or Cliftonville - clubs that actually have a bit of ambition. It's the likes of Crues and Glenavon where you get this every year.
    But those are two clubs neither living in the shadow of any other.

The rest of the IL are what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    When you consider they could reach the EL play-off round as they've 2 winnable ties against Estonian and Albanian sides in the CL draw,you really have to question the logic behind it.
    It makes no sense. Obviously they are flush with the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Was just saying they'd have another round to win, but you're right - is that a new rule?
    If that's how it is it beggars belief that they don't make a little bit of effort.

So if Dundalk beat BATE, they're guaranteed four more games?
    If they bate Borisov... come on. Keep this up. Betcha ya can't say "bate" without having an inner city accent appear in your head.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 01/07/2015 at 1:23 PM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 21 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast