Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Rubbish odds on a Cork away win!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I think that type of experience could benefit Dundalk this season as you could see Pats grow in belief in Warsaw and should have won the first leg by 2. Fear factor leading to giving these sides too much respect. The same with Dundalk at home to Hadjuk where we were tentative and lost. When caution was thrown to the wind in Split we got back in to the tie and could have nicked it. With some belief and some luck in the draw ye never know. Some of the supposed tougher draws may not actually be as tough as we fear! Still TNS thanks very much!!
    Dundalk's quality of football is easy to be seen but as you know they are also a super fit side, could really help them if they're drawn against a very good technical side who will try dominate possesion
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I've an awful feeling that City are going to disappoint in Europe this season. JC's tactics and lack of experience in Europe could find us wanting.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    I've an awful feeling that City are going to disappoint in Europe this season. JC's tactics and lack of experience in Europe could find us wanting.
    Agree, might get a result at the x but away from home ye might get shown up, then again it's the same for all our clubs really. Although, Dundalk look like our best hope for success in many a year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Reckon Cork are best set up to get a good European run this year. The negative tactics will frustrate the life out of continental sides and they've got the players and experience there to grind out a decent result of two. Missing Dunleavy from the back line is a massive loss for them in Europe though.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    We've sent plenty of teams to Europe with negative tactics and they haven't achieved much. Best teams in Europe tend to be the ones that play low-risk but well-drilled football with players who can hang onto possession for long periods, like Pats and Dundalk last year or Rovers under O'Neill.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    From what I have seen so far Id have to say its going to be a bad season in Europe for the Irish teams. None of the teams have been extremely impressive and have shown weaknesses that I reckon European teams will take advantage of easily.

In saying that the experience Cork have could stand to them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Dundalk are a serious side. A good draw and they'll do wonders.

I might hop on an easyjet and go support UCD on their away if it's a tasty one. Night out in Tallin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    A serious amount of 'kisses of death' here!

10. Thanks From:

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Agree, might get a result at the x but away from home ye might get shown up
    Nothing like the horror show that was FC Haka away from home the last time out. I know it's stating the obvious, but it depends on the opponent we're drawn against, but hopefully we're in with a chance of progression

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paykanti View Post
    Dundalk are a serious side. A good draw and they'll do wonders.

:
    We might be a strong and very fit side, but playing in the CL will be very different to the EL. No Lux sides this time out, the potential list of teams we can draw is looking very daunting.

Maybe if TNS squeeze in as the last seeded side we will have a good chance, also there is a Hungarian team called Videoton, may have a good go against them, apart from those all others appear to be top top sides.

We'll obviously know more about all sides chances when the draws are made, but you would think it would be up there with our greatest ever achievement if we could make it past round 2 (where we enter)
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    A serious amount of 'kisses of death' here!
    Why else do you think we're talking you up?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Going off Dodge's link below:

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    There's no steadfast regions anymore. They try to regionalise "somewhat" but they've no bother throwing others around to make up the numbers. In 2012 pats could have got Moldova, San Marino, Armenia as well as northern teams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2..._round#Seeding

This site is the best FWIW

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...OXC9yi0-hN17Z8

They have TNS as a seed
    Obviously reputation and names wise, only the bottom two look beatable out of the seeded sides but the fact a lot of those sides will be in pre-season shape was a major factor in Pats making Legia look damn ordinary in their own backyard so not all hope is lost against some of the others.

TNS -> Maccabi Tel Aviv -> Celtic -> Into the Group stages

You heard it here first. I'll provide the screenshots too once I manage it on FM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paykanti View Post
    Going off Dodge's link below:

Obviously reputation and names wise, only the bottom two look beatable out of the seeded sides but the fact a lot of those sides will be in pre-season shape was a major factor in Pats making Legia look damn ordinary in their own backyard so not all hope is lost against some of the others.

TNS -> Maccabi Tel Aviv -> Celtic -> Into the Group stages

You heard it here first. I'll provide the screenshots too once I manage it on FM.
    I presume you're factoring in a team accidentally fielding an unregistered player or two in predicting Celtic getting to the final qualifying round?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Woof.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Do any of the coefficient fetishists know how two teams are seperate for seeding if they are dead level on coefficient? Looks likely that TNS and the Albanian champions will be ranked joint 17th in the CL2 draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Do any of the coefficient fetishists know how two teams are seperate for seeding if they are dead level on coefficient? Looks likely that TNS and the Albanian champions will be ranked joint 17th in the CL2 draw
    As far as I know, when they are level it goes on the most recent years. I had a look and the Albanian team have a better coefficient than TNS last season so they will rank ahead of them. Looking at the last few leagues left it looks like TNS will be unseeded.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    As far as I know, when they are level it goes on the most recent years. I had a look and the Albanian team have a better coefficient than TNS last season so they will rank ahead of them. Looking at the last few leagues left it looks like TNS will be unseeded.
    That's correct. If two teams are level, they use the most recent year's score to differentiate them (and the year before that if still level).

You can see all rankings here.
    http://www.uefa.com/memberassociatio...rankings/club/

Albanians in 249, TNS in 250.

Sporting Fingal's last year on the list too...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

21. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Go Ahead Eagles were relegated today - so there'll be two second flight teams in the First Round draw (licences permitting). Might be targettable for Cork if they lose a few players as a result.

Progres Niedercorn took the third Luxembourg spot; Hobro lost today, which means it's all but certain Brondby and Randers will be the two Danish sides joining FC Copenhagen.

All ignoring the possibility of a left-overs pool, of course.

Also, this turned up in someone's attic literally two weeks ago -

I rang the BBC a few years back to see if they had any footage of this in their archives, but no joy. So never thought I'd ever see this!

The famous effort that skimmed the bar late on which almost saw us through to the second round seems to have, shall we say, grown legs down through the years...

Everton's goal was on 10 minutes (you can see the time on the scoreboard behind our goal in the first half, counting down from 45), so you can see the huge early pressure we were under.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Thanks. Big boo for Targu Mures who have fooked it up in Romania- they lost their second last game to let Steaua go ahead, now they need a miracle to win it. Steaua wil be seeded. The Polish champions will be seeded too unless it’s Jagiellona which looks very unlikely, so TNS will be squeezed out of the seeds, just about.
    (One game to go in Bosnia… Fk Sarajevo need to win at home against midtable opposition to seal the deal. They'd be ranked behind TNS and the Albanians. If FK Sarajevo feck it up Zeljeznicar will win the league and will be seeded.)

Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast