Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Leinster Senior Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yup - summer in Ireland has always started on 1 May.

In England and the rest of Europe, it starts on 1 June - but that means November is autumn, Feb is winter, etc, which is weird. Met Éireann use this and call it "meteorological summer". Midsummer is big in some scandinavian countries in particular, but they still have summer starting on 1 June, which is just a flat contradiction.

In the US, summer starts on 22 June, which I've never gotten my head around. This is technically "astronomical summer" - but I've never heard anyone in Ireland use it.

The difference between Irish seasons and other seasons is that others group months by temperature, while we group them by the grand aul stretch in the evening - partly because, as the last week has shown, the weather here is just too unreliable to base anything off.
    Those that say summer begins on May 1 are following Celtic tradition but the facts show that summer begins when the sun starts to shine on the earth more due to mainly increased day length and it begins in mid June. Those that say June 1 are more on the money, as in early July is Perihelion (Earth's furthest position from the Sun), so the the months before and after July are opposites.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    Those that say summer begins on May 1 are following Celtic tradition
    Of course. And they're entirely correct. This is a Celtic nation.

Your "fact" about when summer starts is completely arbitrary. Also "summer begins when the sun starts to shine on the earth more due to mainly increased day length and it begins in mid June" doesn't make any sense, because you're saying that increased day length signals the start of summer, and this occurs when the days start getting shorter.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Of course. And they're entirely correct. This is a Celtic nation.

Your "fact" about when summer starts is completely arbitrary. Also "summer begins when the sun starts to shine on the earth more due to mainly increased day length and it begins in mid June" doesn't make any sense, because you're saying that increased day length signals the start of summer, and this occurs when the days start getting shorter.
    That is common thing that many people often argue when they hear about the solstice and start of summer.

To try and simplify it, the temperatures of the oceans are still relativity cold from the previous winter and it takes time for the them to warm up and the process starts to speed up when mid June comes allowing for the warm temperatures in July, August and September.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That is common thing that many people often argue when they hear about the solstice and start of summer.
    I don't want to rain on your parade TheBoss (especially not in spring/winter/summer) but I really don't think there are any common arguments had about this subject.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    To try and simplify it, the temperatures of the oceans are still relativity cold from the previous winter and it takes time for the them to warm up and the process starts to speed up when mid June comes allowing for the warm temperatures in July, August and September.
    I'm aware of how that works. But your post was still contradictory.

And there's still no reason to view your preferred definition of summer as anything other than arbitrary. So arbitrary, in fact, that it has to be called astronomical summer to separate it from meteorological summer or even irish summer. And this is because we can't even define what summer is! Is it the warmest time of year or the time of year with most daylight?

No-one in Ireland views summer as starting on 22 June (midsummer). In Ireland, summer starts on 1 May. So your "correction" of my post wasn't needed as I was correct in identifying that summer here starts on Sunday. It's up to the weather to catch up whenever it's ready.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Slightly off topic and not weather related but UCD V Bohs in the semis. According to the UCD Twitter people. Tried looking at the Leinster Senior League Twitter to confirm the other semi but I'm still blocked soooooo

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Wexford at home v Collinstown in the other semi, say Collinstown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts

Thats correct. In the northern hemisphere the warmest time of the year historically is from mid july to mid august as the heat retained in the earth is still there even though the days are getting shorter. Also since there is more land in the nh it absorbs less heat and bounces it back to the atmosphere.

On the flip side in winter the coldest day of the year from the 6th Jan to end of Jan as it takes longer for the oceans to warm up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I'm aware of how that works. But your post was still contradictory.

And there's still no reason to view your preferred definition of summer as anything other than arbitrary. So arbitrary, in fact, that it has to be called astronomical summer to separate it from meteorological summer or even irish summer. And this is because we can't even define what summer is! Is it the warmest time of year or the time of year with most daylight?
    Summer is the warmest time of the year, do I have to even say this?

Every country/nation/tribe etc. has their own idea of when the seasons are, so all of them can't all be right if they are all different. But when we let science into this field, I think we can trust that discipline to give us a solution rather than old beliefs and traditions which is often wrong. Meteorological is a weather/temperature based model, where as Astronomical is the position of the earth relative to the sun.

No-one in Ireland views summer as starting on 22 June (midsummer). In Ireland, summer starts on 1 May. So your "correction" of my post wasn't needed as I was correct in identifying that summer here starts on Sunday. It's up to the weather to catch up whenever it's ready.
    No one in Ireland may take that view but that does it make it correct. All seasons are based on weather patterns, to say the weather needs to catch up with ancient time stamps when the proof is there to be seen is being very ignorant of the science behind it.

Anyway, didn't expect this to go this far especially in Leinster Senior Cup thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    It's still a completely arbitrary definition, and doesn't change that your "pedantic" correction of my post actually corrected nothing. Given the ultimate irrelevance of what constitutes summer, I'm happy to tell science to take a hike on this one and respect tradition instead. Irish summer starts on 1st May.

But this has become slightly less interesting than the Leinster Senior Cup, if that's actually possible.

Semi final dates are tbc, but is there a calendar around indicating even what week they'd be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Summer football runs from March to early November, therefore summer = March to early November. FACT.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I thought summer was last week there..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Summer = whenever you think summer is. Enough of the horrifically boring off topic discussion FFS.

Back the LSC please.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    UCD v Bohs is on this Monday after neither team needed a replay in the FAI Cup.

Winner to face Wexford in the final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    UCD 0-1 Bohs.

Daft goal to give away two minutes from time.

But overall - meh.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    UCD 0-1 Bohs.

Daft goal to give away two minutes from time.

But overall - meh.
    Some quality saves from your keeper Stu, Who is he?

A good 70 minutes from Jayo too, fitter than when he was with us last year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Niall Corbet. Performed absolute heroics in Europe last year. Then got dropped later in the season for throwing a couple of balls in the back of the net.

Jayo looks a bit portly to me - don't know how much it says that he's fitter than last year!

What sort of Bohs team was that out? I know it was your sub keeper, but heard someone else saying it was a decent-strength Bohs team?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Niall Corbet. Performed absolute heroics in Europe last year. Then got dropped later in the season for throwing a couple of balls in the back of the net.

Jayo looks a bit portly to me - don't know how much it says that he's fitter than last year!

What sort of Bohs team was that out? I know it was your sub keeper, but heard someone else saying it was a decent-strength Bohs team?
    Second choice keeper, both full backs, a centre half, centre mid. Other than that ,all first team players. Pretty awful finishing again from our first choice strikers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    So half and half really?

Yeah, thought Akinade in particular got into a lot of good positions, but it wasn't until we set him up ourselves that he scored. A fair few of the shots should at least have been on target, but ended up wide or over. Or off the bar of course.

Not the worst of games in fairness.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    [QUOTE=pineapple stu;1872048]So half and half really?

Yeah, thought Akinade in particular got into a lot of good positions, but it wasn't until we set him up ourselves that he scored. A fair few of the shots should at least have been on target, but ended up wide or over. Or off the bar of course.

Not the worst of games in fairness.[/QUOTE

Yep, good to see the College tradition continuing of ball on the ground].
    Would pay the admission fee alone for the PA , .Irish football'S John Le Mesuriers.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast