Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Drogs in turmoil Rico gone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    He wouldnt be walking off over a 30 minute drive either!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I saw nothing special in Darius up until this season. But the way himself and Neale Fenn turned the squad around after Horgan was one of the biggest achievements of the season. If Pats are willing to pay for his badges then fair play to him and I hope he goes on to be a huge success (maybe back with us down the road).

As far as we're concerned, our new managerial team are apparently ready to go and I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Good move for both parties.

Big blow for Drogheda

Meh - I'm sure their respective paths will cross again soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    If Pats are willing to pay for his badges then fair play to him and I hope he goes on to be a huge success (maybe back with us down the road).
    No club pays for badges as they know they won't get to see the value of it (look at Heary with Bohs for example).

Kierans has the A and that's all he needs for the job he'll do with Pats
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Wasn't there talk of assistants at Premier clubs having to have the Pro Licence in coming years or did I imagine that?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    No club pays for badges as they know they won't get to see the value of it (look at Heary with Bohs for example).

Kierans has the A and that's all he needs for the job he'll do with Pats
    We do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    So do we with certain limitations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Harps also have helped people through certain badges as far as I'm aware.

Far as I'm aware also, assistants will have to have Pro Licence from next season on. A licence is only good enough for First Division from here on. I stand to be corrected on that, but I recall hearing it at some stage over the last year.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Things are far from decided manager wise yet.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dejadem View Post
    That's it. The club has actually been overachieving for the last 4 years, on the field the squads have way out performed what a tiny budget should bring; off the field a small group of volunteers have saved & kept the club going with prudent management.
    And look how they treated the man who helped them over achieve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    New chairman named today

Drogheda United have this afternoon unveiled Fiachra Keirans as the club’s new Chairman. The Kierans family are well known around United Park and have a long running tradition with the club. Fiachra’s father, Finton, served as a director with the Louth based club during the 1970’s while Fiachra’s son, Andrew, never misses a game and the pair are well liked by the staff and supporters at United Park. Fiachra, himself is no stranger to serving on Board of Managements, as he has done in the past with many of the local schools. He has also been a coach in the local area for the past number of years with Boyne Rovers. Speaking about the honour of being named as the man to lead Drogheda United forward Kierans expressed his pleasure at being chosen for the role. “I’m delighted to be named Drogheda United Chairman. I’m a Drogheda man through and through, born and bred, and it’s a great honour to serve on the Board and to follow in my father’s footsteps.” Stability is the key word to everything in domestic football. We need to get a squad and a management team together and we are in the process of doing that. There will be no wholesale changes at the moment as we need to get up and running very soon.” With so many media reports circulating of late about the financial situation at the club, Kierans felt that it was important that he be up front with the fans and also any potential manager candidates. “We have been perfectly up front with any managerial candidate that we’ve interviewed with regards the budget. We can stand over the budget. I’d rather have a realistic small budget than an unrealistic one that could threaten the future of the club.” While many Drogs fans will be immediately fearing a relegation dog fight in the Premier Division, Kierans on the other hand is upbeat and optimistic about the season ahead. “I’m very hopeful of a successful campaign next year. We can’t see into the future but we can lay the foundations for next season from this point onwards. At the end of the day, it’s eleven men versus eleven men on the pitch and I’m always quietly confident of my chances.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    any relation to Darius?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    any relation to Darius?
    No , Fiachra Kierans is from the Kierans family that have a long established butchers/deli business on West St going back many generations.
    Darius is from a different clan.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Cooke in reckoning for Drogs return

FORMER Drogheda United manager Mick Cooke could make a dramatic return to the club.
    The Dubliner led the Boynsiders to the runners-up spot in the Premier Division in 2012 when they also lifted the EA Sports Cup.
    However, despite guiding United to all three major domestic cup finals in 2013, Cooke was relieved of his duties by the club 12 months ago.

Mick Cooke celebrates after guiding Drogheda United to the 2013 FAI Cup final

Now, however, after Damien Richardson’s decision to rule himself out of the running for the post after four months as caretaker and Trevor Croly declining the opportunity to take charge, Cooke has emerged as front runner.
    Pat Devlin — who managed Drogheda between 1991 and 1994 — has also been interviewed, as has ex-Dundalk boss John Gill.
    http://www.thestar.ie/star/cooke-rec...-return-56127/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I think the new chairman will do well. A decent guy who is both business and football aware, and should bring stability.

So the 'turmoil' is over. It could have been handled better but with so many changes at boardroom level I suppose it was inevitable that it would all blow up.

No chance of a Cooke return. I thought Croly had it but he wasn't interested/up for it. Most likely it will be either Gill or Devlin. It could be someone out of left field but it's probably better to have someone in place who knows the league, at least for the moment. It would be nice if we could have an announcement in a day or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    No chance of a Cooke return. I thought Croly had it but he wasn't interested/up for it. Most likely it will be either Gill or Devlin. It could be someone out of left field but it's probably better to have someone in place who knows the league, at least for the moment. It would be nice if we could have an announcement in a day or two.
    Gill and Croly in for the same job may have been a tad strange for them after their stint at Tallaght together so maybe one decided to bail. Id rather Gill than Croly if I were a Drogs fan as it would be a better fit if working off a small budget and trying to get players motivated. Croly doesnt seem to have motivation in his locker, well at least not with player with an ego. Cooke you seem very sure of not returning and they do say never go back but he has a rep to rebuild so certainly would have the bit between the teeth. Devlin ye kinda know what ye will get but a bit old school merry go round stuff. I half expect something out of left field in hopes of the Cauldfield type impact which would be the biggest gamble. Roddy is whinging about being out of a job, did he even apply or is that a given?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    seen in herald today that Mark Kinsella applied for job. He was last at Colchester as Joe Dunnes no 2 when Joe got the bullet. John Gill has ruled himself out of the running apparently. Heard that Cathal Brady who had a spell with us three yrs ago could be coming back to us!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    seen in herald today that Mark Kinsella applied for job. He was last at Colchester as Joe Dunnes no 2 when Joe got the bullet!
    Now thats the type of left field appointment that if it worked it would be great for the Drogs. Lived in Southend and often went to see ColU play(not that Id admit it round prittlewell way), was sorry that Dunne left simply 'cause of the Irish connection and was a proper club man. They they never improved under him really league position wise but was very much constrained by the clubs policy of promoting youth players so lower mid-table wasnt too bad. Getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Chelmsford who are awful for a 1 club City in the Conference South in 2012 wasnt nice!

If youth development is the type of philosophy Kinsella uses and what he was used to under Dunne well he could be a decent fit to working on a tight budget and not being afraid to play some young lads from the region. His past international profile would also bring some much needed positive publicity to Drogheda Utd. Hope it more than hearsay.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 25/11/2014 at 11:29 PM.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Now thats the type of left field appointment that if it worked it would be great for the Drogs. Lived in Southend and often went to see ColU play(not that Id admit it round prittlewell way), was sorry that Dunne left simply 'cause of the Irish connection and was a proper club man. They they never improved under him really league position wise but was very much constrained by the clubs policy of promoting youth players so lower mid-table wasnt too bad. Getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Chelmsford who are awful for a 1 club City in the Conference South in 2012 wasnt nice!

If youth development is the type of philosophy Kinsella uses and what he was used to under Dunne well he could be a decent fit to working on a tight budget and not being afraid to play some young lads from the region. His past international profile would also bring some much needed positive publicity to Drogheda Utd. Hope it more than hearsay.
    seen it somewhere today that he doesnt have the desired qualifications which is a pity!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    seen it somewhere today that he doesnt have the desired qualifications which is a pity!
    Doesn't hate Dundalk enough?

22. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast