Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Richie Towell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Mark Quigley was far too inconsistent.

Killian Brennan was never at an international level.

I'd have put Kevin McHugh ahead of both of the above.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Five players who should have been capped whilst playing in the League of Ireland, according to Nick Menezes of Pundit Arena: http://www.punditarena.com/football/...eague-ireland/

He singles out Mark Quigley, Liam Kearney, Killian Brennan, Christy Fagan and Richie Towell.
    Does the way all 5 of their careers ended up panning out not demonstrate exactly why they weren't called up for Ireland? That might be harsh on Towell but he hasn't demonstrated that he was deserving of a call up since he signed for Brighton.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Does the way all 5 of their careers ended up panning out not demonstrate exactly why they weren't called up for Ireland? That might be harsh on Towell but he hasn't demonstrated that he was deserving of a call up since he signed for Brighton.
    Towell has been unlucky with injury and, to be fair to him, has been given a contract extension, so Hughton obviously see potential in him, but I'd tend to agree otherwise. Kearney did stand out for Cork, but it was at a time when we had Duff and McGeady (and other cover on the left?), so that posed an obvious obstacle, on top of the fact he played in the League of Ireland.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Towell has been unlucky with injury and, to be fair to him, has been given a contract extension, so Hughton obviously see potential in him, but I'd tend to agree otherwise. Kearney did stand out for Cork, but it was at a time when we had Duff and McGeady (and other cover on the left?), so that posed an obvious obstacle, on top of the fact he played in the League of Ireland.
    I agree with you but when fit, Towell hasn't been picked that much. He hasn't gone onto prove himself as a rotational player at a Championship side (regardless of mitigating circumstances). Hardly suggests he was wronged in being overlooked previously.

Taking a retrospective view on Kearney as well. He was class when Heerenveen were in for him. His career tapered off gradually for one reason or another thereafter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    "'I was as shocked as everyone else' - Richie Towell on new Brighton contract": http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35830577.html

Quote Originally Posted by Richie Towell
    I was shocked as everyone else. The club kept telling me that they rate me. The manager kept telling me that he rates me. And I kept thinking, 'you don't like.' That's just being honest. I didn't think they did. But obviously they showed the faith in me and gave me a new deal. Because they're not going to hand them out.

Obviously everyone is ringing asking 'why are you not playing, why are not playing!?' Which is a bit frustrating because you never have the right answers for them. I just wanted to play when I went over. So when I wasn't playing it was frustrating. But the overall experience of being there was something I'll never forget. People don't realise the players we have in our team. They'll play in the Premier League next year and then people will probably realise, 'they're a really good side'.

I think I can play Championship. I was a bit unfortunate I was at the best team in the Championship and I found it hard to get in. But obviously seeing as I had a bit of time, I was watching every single game. And I have no doubt I can compete at that level. So, it's just about getting the chance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    It's not apples for apples, and I'm open to correction but I recall Stephen Hunt wasn't integral to Readings promotion to the premier league. But was a critical member of the team once promoted. It's not unprecedented so maybe there's scope here for such a turnaround.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Well Towell himself seems to want a chance at Championship level and Hughton already said he's keen for him to send him out on loan.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    It's not apples for apples, and I'm open to correction but I recall Stephen Hunt wasn't integral to Readings promotion to the premier league. But was a critical member of the team once promoted. It's not unprecedented so maybe there's scope here for such a turnaround.
    Had a quick look and he played 38 games. I think the issue was that he wasn't in their plans and they had Bobby Convey nailed to be their starting PL winger so he was, as far as I can remember, told he could leave. He told them he wasn't letting the chance to play in the PL pass him by.

Not that I think Towell is going to begin the season at Brighton but it's been interesting how quiet they've been in the market so far. The biggest activity they have had is their keeper Stockdale refusing a contract to sign for 'Arry instead.

Fingers crossed he gets the right loan for him. It's quite clear that our lads need to be careful who they sign on loan for and this is a crossroads for Towell.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It's quite clear that our lads need to be careful who they sign on loan for and this is a crossroads for Towell.
    Yeah, the days of our lads singing for Chelsea, United, Liverpool are largely over. You will still get some doing it but it is proving to be a Houdini like act for Irish youngsters to make it at the big clubs.
    Regarding Towell, I would love to see him at a place like Reading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    top of the rankings in some Brighton pre season trials: https://twitter.com/jake_perkins7/st...31812154130433
    according to the replies, it's based around 20m sprints, 5m sprints and body fat
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 12/07/2017 at 12:29 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    top of the rankings in some Brighton pre season rankings: https://twitter.com/jake_perkins7/st...31812154130433
    according to the replies, it's based around 20m sprints, 5m sprints and body fat
    Jan molby wept

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    top of the rankings in some Brighton pre season trials: https://twitter.com/jake_perkins7/st...31812154130433
    Any idea if he's going to stay at Brighton for their EPL campaign then or do they still intend on sending him out on loan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    no, nothing about that.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Richie Towell not even on the bench for Brighton in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Norwich.
    In all honesty a move to a Championship may be the best of both worlds for Richie.
    Don't think he's going to break into an Albion team which is going to struggle and ultimately be relegated this season.
    If he sets up at a decent Championship team it will be good for him and whereas his Brighton team mates will be headed in the wrong direction this season, he could be moving towards the PL?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    If he sets up at a decent Championship team it will be good for him and whereas his Brighton team mates will be headed in the wrong direction this season, he could be moving towards the PL?
    But hasn't he failed to get in a side challenging in that very division ? Sides gearing up for a tilt at Prem will be looking at better apps stats than he offers, or he would be seen as a squad depth addition which serves him badly. He might have to aim lower, I hope not and I think he is plenty good enough, but 6 months being the best player at a lower end Championship side or upper L1 would do at this stage, get him going again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    But hasn't he failed to get in a side challenging in that very division ? Sides gearing up for a tilt at Prem will be looking at better apps stats than he offers, or he would be seen as a squad depth addition which serves him badly. He might have to aim lower, I hope not and I think he is plenty good enough, but 6 months being the best player at a lower end Championship side or upper L1 would do at this stage, get him going again.
    I think he's been unlucky to be honest. He got injured this time last year and spent a long time on the sidelines. Had he been playing in last season's promotion winners he could have developed a reputation for himself already. He was never going to break into that Brighton team towards the end of the season as they headed for the top flight. I would love to see him hook up with the likes of Reading or Derby or Hull City. I think he could do a job for mid table club like that. On another note, Wes didn't play in the above game either. Nursing some sort of an injury, I believe. We will need him badly on September 2 and 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Plucked from the wilderness to start for Brighton tonight in the League Cup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Played for 77 minutes and was replaced by Aaron Connolly. Not much reported on how Richie played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Played for 77 minutes and was replaced by Aaron Connolly. Not much reported on how Richie played.
    He played the full 90. Hemed came off for Connolly.

Brighton fans weren't impressed in the slightest. Reading through a Brighton forum and several have said he was the worst player on the pitch and others saying he wasted a glorious chance to work his way in.
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 23/08/2017 at 10:05 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    He played the full 90. Hemed came off for Connolly.
    Some of the comments on one of the fans forum were not complimentary molumpy was the only one getting some bit of praise

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast