Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: 'Some grounds haven't had a lick of paint since I left'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts

'Some grounds haven't had a lick of paint since I left'

https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Can't really argue with any of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I spoke to a couple of Drogheda fans today who were none too pleased at being singled out.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Maybe all the other grounds he's played at recently have decent showers at least? Most players wouldn't care too much if the stands were falling down around them as long as the pitch and dressing room and showers were ok. It probably was fresh in his mind.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

5. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I spoke to a couple of Drogheda fans today who were none too pleased at being singled out.
    They can hardly complain too much. At best, it's the joint-worst ground in the league, and if the shower facilities were as described then they can't really complain about being singled out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Fair comment. Must be frustrating for him. Can the FAI do more to help improve facilities? The problem is basically the lack of fans equals no money. (What's the other 'joint-worst' ground?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Fair comment. Must be frustrating for him. Can the FAI do more to help improve facilities? The problem is basically the lack of fans equals no money. (What's the other 'joint-worst' ground?)
    Should clubs be looking to the FAI? Surely it's down to each club to get their own house in order. If clubs have not got the support of their community, it is going to be a struggle.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I think there is some level of joint responsibility here, European and even EPL clubs have govt. support in building new grounds, Swansea and Hull for example. Lower league clubs have gotten great support from local authorities in NI, Scotland, England etc. Our league needs to work with the Dept. of Sport, Clubs, local authorities etc. to develop grounds, Clubs and FAI need to take the lead but there has to be a plan. Delaneys plan to redevelop Dalymount for Bohs and Shels is a step in the right direction as is new Finn Park and Markets Field, but Pats, Bray and others need help, even the better grounds need some improving....

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Interesting Liam Mackey article in the Examiner today

Wouldn’t it be great if it was like this all the time
    Quoting Van Morrison, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: "wouldn’t it be great if it was like this all the time..."
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/c...me-295906.html
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 01/11/2014 at 3:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    thats a good article alright and there are some good points in it. yeah 10 ground developments throught the league would help but yes it has to be done "on faith" as the way things stand now no one would spend,
    improve the grounds, strengthen earnings for clubs and improve quality. look how the norwegian league has improved with investment and good management., look how our clubs are improving in European competitions... let's not forget that Rovers made the group stage in the Europa league... our league should be aiming to get some of our top clubs into the Europa league every other year or something like that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Have Drogheda made any application to their local council for funding for facilities? If a club is for the good of the community there should be some funding for showers etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Have Drogheda made any application to their local council for funding for facilities? If a club is for the good of the community there should be some funding for showers etc.
    Louth County Council have zero interest in Drogheda United (or Dundalk FC for that matter).

I have a lot of respect for the people in Drogheda United who give up their time to maintain a LOI club in the town. Given the lack of interest from local business and the public, it is a miracle that the club is still there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,347 Posts
    It should be a massive priority for every club in the league to work closely with the FAI and secure any sort of funding they can to upgrade grounds. How can you expect the attract a decent attendance when the place they're going to watch the match is falling down around them?

It's utterly embarrassing to hear someone say something like "I haven't been in Finn Park in 30 years and the place hasn't changed a bit", considering the fact Finn Harps has been rusted and dilapidated for the same length of time.

FYI, the new ground across the river isn't costing Harps a cent. It's entirely paid for through grants and the sale of the current Finn Park. Maybe something a few clubs could look at, especially the likes of Drogheda, which I agree, alongside Finn Park are the two worst grounds left in the league.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Louth County Council have zero interest in Drogheda United (or Dundalk FC for that matter).

I have a lot of respect for the people in Drogheda United who give up their time to maintain a LOI club in the town. Given the lack of interest from local business and the public, it is a miracle that the club is still there.
    Do any clubs lobby for anything or do they just accept things as they are? I mean like A Championship clubs lobbied for nothing, had a junior club mentality, had the plug pulled on the league and are right back where they started. That was all within the FAI and league.

Surely Drogheda and Dundalk are deserving of support from their local council. If not getting heard, have they been voicing disproval through local media? Solutions are more likely to come within Louth than from the FAI nor from outside ye're county.

I think Mounthawh Stadium in Tralee is to get funding from a number of sources. The plan then would be a side entering the U19 league. That league could do with the likes of Kerry League and Mayo League returning to the underage setup. There's been no fresh impetus at that level for a while.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Would 1/4 million euro help improve any grounds. That is the figure the Irish Sports Council spent on legal fees after it tried to investigate a member of its own organisation; John Byrne. The Council lost. Think I saw him at E Deacy Park last night, and it reminded me of the case. Folks may like to look the story up. Sometimes I would not blame local councils for not giving any money to soccer in this country if people are happy with those who are in charge of the game.
    The biggest joke of all is that the sport council hired Paul Appleby the former Corporate Affairs guy, the one who found it very difficult to bring/build a case against those in charge of the banks a while back.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    from readin that interview with Keith Fahy today in the Indo I think that is his parting shot. I would expect him to go back cross water once season is finished! hes dead right in what he says!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?