Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team of the Year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Team of the Year

Sure what better time to start this than before the final day of the season.

GK: Barry Murphy

RB: Simon Madden
    CB: Andy Boyle
    CB: Brian Gartland
    LB: Dane Massey

RM: Conan Byrne
    CM: Gearoid Morrissey
    CM: Colin Healy
    LM: Billy Dennehy

CF: Pat Hoban
    CF: Christy Fagan

Manager: John Caulfield

Some notable omissions: Richie Towell the obvious one. I think in a fair few games he wasn't that noticeable whereas others he showed the talent he has. Over the course of the season I think Cork's midfield has kept them going more. Keith Fahey too just didn't think he did much until the last 2 months. Up front obviously once Stuart Taylor left and Gaffney got some game time he was banging them in. Mark O'Sullivan too at Cork has had a great season.

Division 1

GK: Graham Doyle

RB: Jamie Mulhall
    CB: Paddy Barrett
    CB: Pat Flynn
    LB: Colm Horgan

RM: Don Cowan
    CM: Stephen Rice
    CM: Ryan Connolly
    LM: Dylan Connolly

CF: Dave O'Sullivan
    CF: Danny Furlong

A bit of messing around with positions here as Colm Horgan generally plays on the right of defence.

Don Cowan hasn't played that much for Longford but destroyed us in their 3-0 win in Terryland.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Darryl Horgan would be a good option for midfield also

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I think you'd have to include some city defenders based on our tendency to scrape a lot of 1-0 wins. Murray and D. Dennehy have been solid at centre half. Murray slightly better. B. Lenihan got a cross channel move from full back and captain John Dunleavy has had his best season yet for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Yeah, that's probably a fair shout. To be honest I've only seen City live once this season and Dennehy was sent off in that game (1-0 at UCD) wouldn't argue against dropping Gartland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Mark McNulty deserves some credit too.

The official team will look something like this

Mark McNulty (17 clean sheets, should be in the running for player of the year)

Massey Gartland Dan Murray Bermingham

Forrester Fahey Towell Byrne

Fagan Hoban

Fahey has no right to be there but hell still get selected, not sure about Massey, I could see Lenihan getting it but hes been gone for 6 weeks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    I think Furlong has something like 6 goals from the penalty spot, Sully and Shaw only have one from the pen spot between them for Longford. Shaw had one hell of a second half to the season, I'd nearly have him over Furlong, but hard enough to pick.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Simon Madden is a smashing right back, but Sean Gannon has been significantly better then any other I have seen in that position this season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    ---------------------------------Mark McNulty----------------------------------

Brian Lenihan-------Dan Murray----------Andy Boyle-----------Ian Bermingham

Conan Byrne------Richie Towell----------Gearoid Morrissey--------Daryl Horgan

---------------------Pat Hoban------------------Christy Fagan-----------------------
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry crumb View Post
    ---------------------------------Mark McNulty----------------------------------

Brian Lenihan-------Dan Murray----------Andy Boyle-----------Ian Bermingham

Conan Byrne------Richie Towell----------Gearoid Morrissey--------Daryl Horgan

---------------------Pat Hoban------------------Christy Fagan-----------------------
    I was thinking along the same lines.

I'm not sure about Lenihan for right back. I think Simon Madden and Sean Gannon are ahead of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Jake Keegan scored 2 more than Shaw, all from open play, I'd have some issues with JC's team, but not with the front 2 of O'Sullivan and Furlong
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Keegan's ffinished the season very well just like Shaw has as O'Sullivan's goals dried up.

I suppose you could argue Furlong got a hat trick against a weakened Harps side to boost his tally but First Division strikers have been pretty poor. Shels top scoring striker has 3 goals I think!

For Div 1 Gary Shanahan may have a case for RM. Manning probably not played enough to be in team.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Ah yeah I wouldn't quibble too much about JC's front two. Gary Shaw had a great second half of the season and especially the final third of it but Furlong was pretty consistent and was always a big threat. Sully managed to have an eight game drought and still end up with 21 league goals and a few assists for Shaw. Great striker.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Division 1

GK: Graham Doyle

RB: Jamie Mulhall
    CB: Paddy Barrett
    CB: Pat Flynn
    LB: Colm Horgan

RM: Don Cowan
    CM: Stephen Rice
    CM: Ryan Connolly
    LM: Dylan Connolly

CF: Dave O'Sullivan
    CF: Danny Furlong

A bit of messing around with positions here as Colm Horgan generally plays on the right of defence.

Don Cowan hasn't played that much for Longford but destroyed us in their 3-0 win in Terryland.
    I'd agree with most of that. I'd have Pat Sullivan instead of Paddy Barrett and I wouldn't have Don Cowan in there. Sullivan has been immense all season and our success has been based on our back 4 being very solid and settled (well 3 of them anyway, LB has chopped and changed a bit) week in week out. Don is very frustrating. His lack of end product is seriously annoying to watch. There's no real standout left full/left winger in the FD this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    1st Div

Bennion

D McNulty, P Mailey, P Sullivan, N Haverty

G Coughlan, S Rice, G Dempsey, J Molloy

D Furlong, D O'Sullivan

Only 2 easy decisions in picking that team were Furlong and O'Sullivan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    1st Div

Bennion

D McNulty, P Mailey, P Sullivan, N Haverty

G Coughlan, S Rice, G Dempsey, J Molloy

D Furlong, D O'Sullivan

Only 2 easy decisions in picking that team were Furlong and O'Sullivan.
    Most of the team of the year shouts so far have been fair enough but there are some seriously daft suggestions in there.

Chris Bennion? He isn't even Longford's first choice keeper.

Gary Dempsey played half a season for Shelbourne.... Ryan Connolly far more deserving of the position.

Jason Molloy isn't even our best left winger and he doesn't start when everybody is available.

Haverty is in and out of Longford's team, he's not a left back.... he couldn't dislodge Flynn or Sullivan (who should both be ahead of Mailey).

McNulty isn't even the top 3 best RB's in the Division, nevermind the best. Horgan/Mulhall far superior players.
    Last edited by Olander; 18/10/2014 at 9:57 PM.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

16. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Baz Murphy
    Simon Madden - Andy Boyle - Dan Murray - Dane Massey
    Richie Towell - Gearóíd Morrissey
    Conan Byrne - Patrick McEleney - Billy Dennehy
    Christy Fagan

Quite a difficult one in certain positions. The back four isn't actually that good, to be honest, but they've been the best players I've seen this season in their positions. If you were to pick a 'most talented' back four I'd say only Madden would remain (and even so he had the most competition from other players). I could easily have included Daryl Horgan, Pat Hoban or Rory Gaffney in the attacking positions too.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    Most of the team of the year shouts so far have been fair enough but there are some seriously daft suggestions in there.

Chris Bennion? He isn't even Longford's first choice keeper.

Gary Dempsey played half a season for Shelbourne.... Ryan Connolly far more deserving of the position.

Jason Molloy isn't even our best left winger and he doesn't start when everybody is available.

Haverty is in and out of Longford's team, he's not a left back.... he couldn't dislodge Flynn or Sullivan (who should both be ahead of Mailey).

McNulty isn't even the top 3 best RB's in the Division, nevermind the best. Horgan/Mulhall far superior players.
    I'd have to agree on all Longford related shouts there. Havo is a good player he was on the last two teams of the year for the First. But he was unfortunate that he was up against Flynn and Sullivan at CB and one of the best young players around in Jamie Mulhall at RB, he played a couple of games at LB but can't be in any divisional team. Benno played once in the second half of the season too as he was retiring and TC wanted to give Hunt his chance I think. Hunt had about 12 clean sheets I think if you wanted to include the Town keeper. Graham Doyle is or was the best keeper in the division tho IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    The fact that hunt had 12 clean sheets, shows just how good our defense was.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    The fact that hunt had 12 clean sheets, shows just how good our defense was.
    I know he had one er..outspoken.. critic but he's done ok. He hasn't had much to do in any game though which as you say is a sign of how good our defence was. Though maybe the defenders had a better relationship with him, who knows?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I know he had one er..outspoken.. critic but he's done ok. He hasn't had much to do in any game though which as you say is a sign of how good our defence was. Though maybe the defenders had a better relationship with him, who knows?
    Haha think it's fair to say he had more than one critic I remember his first game in waterford he was at fault for 2 goals and de town fans started to sign Chris bennion name, that must have been very off putting for him at the time so to go on the run he did fair play but I would agree the back 4 played a major role in that as he probably only had 2 major saves to make in that run of games.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast