Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Team of the Year

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Conan Byrne remains the most under rated player we have

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Mark McNulty to my mind has been by far the best keeper in the league this year, and I was very surprised to see so many people skipping over him hear. I'm genuinely surprised O'Sullivan has made it, not that he's not deserving, I just didn't think they'd go with three strikers.

I'd love to see Healy win player of the year, but I suspect Towell will get it.
    With keepers it's sometimes difficult to judge them on a couple of matches unless they really stand out. McNulty wouldn't have had much to do against a lot of teams, so fans wouldn't have seen him do much, whereas Murphy and Ryan were making great saves against absolutely everyone as they had crap defences in front of them.

Surprised Healy made it at all, to be honest. Like other people, any time I've seen Cork Morrissey has been the guy running the show and easily one of the tidiest players in the league. Glad to see O'Sullivan make it too - I reckon that's on the back of a lot of defenders voting because they'll remember they've had one of their hardest games every time he's played them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    He was a roofer this time this year, now hes in the team of the year and has helped bring City to the brink of the title. It's a crazy story. We didn't expect him to be so good.

You may be right about the defenders voting there because he wins a ridiculous amount of headers considering hes only about 5 10.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Slightly surprised to see no mention of Damien McNulty or Packie Mailey in FD team. Harps defence were arguably the best in the division for about 75% of the season and had we held onto Keating for the season we may well have squeezed into a play off place.
    There's a subtle difference between having the best defence in the League and having a team that is set up in an unbelievably negative fashion, that are set out primarily to contain the opposition. Your measly 26 goal haul reaffirms that point, Keating or not, you would were never really in the running for a playoff place because your team carries no threat.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    and none of the back four from the team with the best defence.

Lets wait to see which defence has conceded the least league goals over the course of the season!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Can't argue too much with that team. Conan Byrne and Billy Dennehy could feel aggrieved about not getting it but not much besides that.

It's the players that pick it as well so they would know better than ourselves who have done well based on playing against them
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    There's a subtle difference between having the best defence in the League and having a team that is set up in an unbelievably negative fashion, that are set out primarily to contain the opposition. Your measly 26 goal haul reaffirms that point, Keating or not, you would were never really in the running for a playoff place because your team carries no threat.
    Spot on. Harps fans (well Nigel anyway, not sure about the other 4 of them) consistently overestimate how good they are. They were never going to make the playoffs. Finishing 5th is the limit for them, and they managed that. They were miles off ourselves, Shels and Galway. And while Wexford probably overachieved this year, they're still much better than Harps.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    For the official PFAI team of the year, Chris Shields must be the unluckiest player not to be in it. Has been immense all year and arguably Dundalk's most important player. Without him doing all the dirty work in midfield we couldn't have played the way we done all year.

Edit: Actually want to add in, I am surprised Billy Dennehy isn't in it too.
    Last edited by Guinney; 21/10/2014 at 5:35 PM.
    @AidanMcGuinness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Disappointed for Conan Byrne after a great season, the other let down was no young player of the year nomination for Sean Hoare, think Gannon would have got it but think Hoare merited the nomination after an immense first season as a regular , a very classy player for his years composed and not a bit of malice in his play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinney View Post
    For the official PFAI team of the year, Chris Shields must be the unluckiest player not to be in it. Has been immense all year and arguably Dundalk's most important player. Without him doing all the dirty work in midfield we couldn't have played the way we done all year.

Edit: Actually want to add in, I am surprised Billy Dennehy isn't in it too.
    I'm not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    It's strange that fellow players don't appreciate players like him.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Is Richie Towell the best midfielder in the league?

That question brings to mind the famous John Lennon quip:

On one occasion when John Lennon was asked if Starr was the best drummer in the world he replied, tongue in cheek: “He’s not even the best drummer in the Beatles.”
    Chris Shields has been magnificent for Dundalk this season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Odd how everyone else rates Dennehy much higher than city fans. He scores important goals but is anonymous for a lot of the time. There's been calls from our fans for him to be dropped, never mind being in the team of the year. Think it shows how hard it is to judge when you don't see them every week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    Spot on. Harps fans (well Nigel anyway, not sure about the other 4 of them) consistently overestimate how good they are. They were never going to make the playoffs. Finishing 5th is the limit for them, and they managed that. They were miles off ourselves, Shels and Galway. And while Wexford probably overachieved this year, they're still much better than Harps.
    Oh god no, we were awful for the entire second half of the season once we lost all attacking threat. The defence is all that kept us going really.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Harps were about as close to Cobh as they were to a playoff place. Keating or no, Harps weren't getting next nor near the playoffs this year imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    A tongue-in-cheek take on the Team of the Year that was destined for another location but didn’t fit in the end…. (i.e. it would’ve been in the Dundalk v Cork programme id we’d had won the league in advance of that fixture)

With the season coming to a close The Spectator assembled a committee of leading experts, over a pint or three, to pass judgment on the League of Ireland team of the season. Here are the results of the Lilywhite Lounge jury…

Goalkeeper
    Nominees: Cherrie (Dundalk), Clarke (St Pats), Murphy (Shamrock Rovers)
    Winner: Peter Cherrie

Left back
    Nominees: Bermingham (St Pats), Byrne (Shamrock Rovers), Massey (Dundalk)
    Winner: Dane Massey

Right back
    Nominees: Gannon (Dundalk), Lenihan(Cork), Madden (Shamrock Rovers)
    Winner: Sean Gannon

Central defenders
    Nominees: Boyle (Dundalk), D Dennehy (Cork), Gartland (Dundalk), Hoare (St Pats), McEleney (Derry), Rossiter (Dundalk)
    Winners: Andy Boyle and Brian Gartland

Defensive midfield
    Nominees: Higgins (Dundalk), O’Donnell (Dundalk), Shields(Dundalk)
    Winner: Chris Shields

Central midfield
    Nominees: Fahey (St Pats), Healy (Cork), Towell (Dundalk)
    Winner: Richie Towell

Left midfield
    Nominees: Brennan (St Pats), B Dennehy (Cork), Horgan (Dundalk)
    Winner: Daryl Horgan

Right midfield
    Nominees: Byrne (St Pats), McDermott (Dundalk), Meenan (Dundalk)
    Winner: Darren Meenan

Attacking midfield
    Nominees: Byrne (Dundalk), Forrester (St Pats), Mountney (Dundalk)
    Winner: Kurtis Byrne

Forwards
    Nominees: Fagan (St Pats), Hoban (Dundalk), McMillan (Dundalk), Patterson (Derry)
    Winner: Pat Hoban

So, our independently verified, official, Spectator League of Ireland team of the season looks like this:
    Cherrie (Dundalk); Gannon (Dundalk), Massey (Dundalk), Gartland (Dundalk), Boyle (Dundalk); Shields (Dundalk), Towell (Dundalk), Horgan (Dundalk), Meenan (Dundalk), Byrne (Dundalk); Hoban (Dundalk). Manager: Collins (Derry)… just kiddin’… Horgan (Drogs)… oh, ok then… Kenny (Dundalk).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    A tongue-in-cheek take on the Team of the Year that was destined for another location but didn’t fit in the end…. (i.e. it would’ve been in the Dundalk v Cork programme id we’d had won the league in advance of that fixture)
    Should have gone ahead with this, it would have brought Cork to the point of spontaneous combustion.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Left back
    Nominees: Bermingham (St Pats), Byrne (Shamrock Rovers), Massey (Dundalk)
    Winner: Dane Massey

good man SeanD.
    you made me laugh out loud when i read the bold part.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    good man SeanD.
    you made me laugh out loud when i read the bold part.
    obviously the whole thing was thrown together in a handful of seconds, but I thought Luke Byrne was fairly highly regarded? Looked half decent any time I saw him at Bohs/Rovers? Far be it from me to give undue credit to a Hoop!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Should have gone ahead with this, it would have brought Cork to the point of spontaneous combustion.
    In fairness it doesn't take much
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast