Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyrus Christie D Hull b.1992

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    The Twitter account of the cretin involved was still public earlier today. He isn't even Irish.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Don't think Christie has the tricks to be a winger - he's a pretty standard attacking full back. Needs to work on his defensive positioning and he'll be a Premier League player.

The abuse he received is vile - hopefully the person responsible gets a visit from the police.
    Seems to have more effective tricks than some of our other option.

Swapping him and Brady on the left, Brady to right back, Christie to right wing would have been a better idea
    I expect.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 20/11/2017 at 8:40 PM.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Best thing is to just ignore such people, if you don't likle their tweets stop following them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Christie tweeted the following a short while ago:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I am in two minds about this story. Take it as read that racist comments are unacceptable but they've hardly gone away especially now with social media. Is it such a huge story that some cretin of a racist posts a pejorative comment on Twitter and it is the headline on the sports news? One or is it two or three nobodies make a racist comment and it's headline news. If there were 15 or 20 people or the fans were making racist comments I think it's a story because it would be reflective of a greater feeling among people.

Or perhaps it's good to highlight it so that people are aware of such things. I am not sure. It just seems an ott reaction for the comment of one or two persons. I remember I was at and England v Ireland rugby match (free ticket I hasten to add) and an Ireland player (I think it was O'Driscoll) was injured and this English supporter kept shouting at him "Get up, you f'in Paddy!! Get up, Paddy!! There's nothing wrong with you, Paddy!!" which I thought was racist at the time but would it be worth headline news? The song "James McClean hates the f'in Queen" does us no favours either for the "best supporters in the world".

Is it a storm in a teacup or something worth highlighting ? I would imagine that James McClean gets far worse and in bucket loads. Does highlighting one or a couple of racist Tweets help in the fight against racism or encourage it. I just don't know.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Is it such a huge story that some cretin of a racist posts a pejorative comment on Twitter and it is the headline on the sports news?
    Yeah its not like there is even a hint that this isn't an isolated minority incident. I guess what changes it over, say verbal abuse, though is that it goes straight to his timeline and that it has become a headline. Once it becomes a headline it becomes a story. Ultimately though it is 2 absolute cretins tweeting racist abuse. I'm not saying its "just" this as if downplaying it, but the story is that two people have publicly outed themselves as racist idiots.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Controversial view here maybe, but - is "Go play for Jamaica" even racist? I presume Christie has some Caribbean roots given his name and colour. "**** off back to Jamaica" may well be racist, but "Go play for Jamaica" to me just implies he wasn't/isn't good enough, and a lesser team is his level. Obviously the own goal makes him a target unfortunately.

But would it be racist to shout "**** off and play for the North" at Gibson after a bad performance?

The tweet I've seen online is brain-dead and an example of all that's bad with social media. It's abuse, unnecessary and, as noted, apparently not even from an Irish person.

But why is it racist? Is it because Christie is black? That's not what makes something racist; in fact, it undermines real racism to suggest that everything slightly offensive is racist. Arguably, "Go play for Jamaica" is just a variant of what's been shouted in frustration from terraces for decades.

Obviously the lynching comments are utterly indefensible and should be followed up, (but they're still not racist by themselves)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Controversial view here maybe, but - is "Go play for Jamaica" even racist? I presume Christie has some Caribbean roots given his name and colour. "**** off back to Jamaica" may well be racist, but "Go play for Jamaica" to me just implies he wasn't/isn't good enough, and a lesser team is his level. Obviously the own goal makes him a target unfortunately.

But would it be racist to shout "**** off and play for the North" at Gibson after a bad performance?

The tweet I've seen online is brain-dead and an example of all that's bad with social media. It's abuse, unnecessary and, as noted, apparently not even from an Irish person.

But why is it racist? Is it because Christie is black? That's not what makes something racist; in fact, it undermines real racism to suggest that everything slightly offensive is racist. Arguably, "Go play for Jamaica" is just a variant of what's been shouted in frustration from terraces for decades.

Obviously the lynching comments are utterly indefensible and should be followed up, (but they're still not racist by themselves)
    I have to agree that its not too bad and the example of the North is a good example. People scream stuff at white Irish players all the time, Ginger B#$tard being one that is 100% racist and offensive but sure that's allowed of course because the victims of this abuse are not counted. Its all ******

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    you don't get to decide what is it and is not racist. The "go and play for Jamaica" implies he's not supposed to be here, i.e. that he's not Irish. He has an Irish passport, he plays for Ireland, he's Irish. End of discussion.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 21/11/2017 at 1:27 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

11. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The same person also talked about starting a lynch mob to go after Christie.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The same person also talked about starting a lynch mob to go after Christie.
    Shouldn’t Lynch Mobs only go after Lynchs.....I’d say that twitter fella isn’t the smartest .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    you don't get to decide what is it and is not racist. The "go and play for Jamaica" implies he's not supposed to be here, i.e. that he's not Irish. He has an Irish passport, he plays for Ireland, he's Irish. End of discussion.
    Exactly. and would the person say it to his face? Good rule of thumb.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately a headline like those over the last few days are going to give an impression that we have a number of racist fans and may make other players think twice about playing for us. It really doesn't make sense for footballers to have social media accounts. They may enjoy the praise when they have a good game, but its a guarantee they will get abuse when they inevitably have a bad one

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    It's abuse with reference to his (alleged?) ethnic roots. How is that not racist?
    By the way, I'd see it as equally racist if he was a white guy with, let's say, Latvian roots and he'd be told to go play for Latvia.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    A statement can be unintentionally racist, I could use a term that I didn't know was racially charged (e.g. Suarez using "negrito"), but once it has been established as racist, then it's racist. That doesn't make me a racist for saying it, but using it again would.
    These people clearly wanted Christie to leave because they don't regard him as Irish. The reference to Jamaica is a clear link to the colour of his skin. These people singled Christie out for this type of abuse because of his race. They are racists. This is not up for debate.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Of course it was racist

21. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I think telling someone born in Coventry to go home to Jamaica is racist. I suspect most if not all of us here when supporting Ireland do not even notice the colour of the skin of our players or whether they are "Anglos" or born in Cork (ok maybe we notice that!). To suggest to someone that they should go to Jamaica is abusing them because of the colour of their skin and is therefore racist. If they were from Jamaica, it would arguably not be racist.

However, I am a bit p'ssed off with Christie that he chose to start reading his tweets in the dressing room after one of the most catastrophic results in Irish footballing history. I expected him to be in tears before reading the tweets not after them but then I am not a professional footballer who has to deal with disappointments week after week. But seriously, what did he expect to see in his Tweets? "Great game, Cyrus" "Unlucky, Cyrus" ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I checked out the two racists fools who made those comments on Twitter. One is a diehard Milwall fan from London.
    The other says he is German-English born in India (I think he’s since shut down his account. Maybe he f**ked off back to India)

So neither of them are Irish and feel they have a right to speak on behalf of Irish soccer supporters. Cretins!

Regarding the debate on whether the Jamaica comment was racist, it absolutely was. You need to look at the motivation behind that tweet. It was made with intent to be racist and get to Cyrus. Language can be interpretable but you must look at the intent and the intent here was vitriolic and abusive, designed to be as insulting as possible.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Did Cyrus have the possibility of playing for Jamaica ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I think telling someone born in Coventry to go home to Jamaica is racist. I suspect most if not all of us here when supporting Ireland do not even notice the colour of the skin of our players or whether they are "Anglos" or born in Cork (ok maybe we notice that!). To suggest to someone that they should go to Jamaica is abusing them because of the colour of their skin and is therefore racist. If they were from Jamaica, it would arguably not be racist.

However, I am a bit p'ssed off with Christie that he chose to start reading his tweets in the dressing room after one of the most catastrophic results in Irish footballing history. I expected him to be in tears before reading the tweets not after them but then I am not a professional footballer who has to deal with disappointments week after week. But seriously, what did he expect to see in his Tweets? "Great game, Cyrus" "Unlucky, Cyrus" ?
    that's not necessarily what he did. What I imagine happened is he just turned on his phone, and the tweet that mentions his account would have appeared in his alerts - same as any text message, whatasapp, etc - and then he searched for his name to see what else was being said.

28. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast