Things seem to have worked out well for ye since

It's been a long road Patrick
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    In fairness to Dunne he had Cork playing some really nice football at times and just looked to be a few players short of really challenging higher up the table, then Caulfield came in and looks like he got more of a financial backing than Dunne did, so he might feel a little hard done by.
    budget was significantly reduced in 2014 after some very large losses last year.

Daryl Kavanagh, Adam Rundle and others were on decent money in 2013 and did not work out.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    The billionaire sponsors of Galway, who have already committed €300,000 to the club, intend to increase their investment.... according to their own website
    http://www.thecomergroup.com/news/co...p-of-galway-fc
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    That article is months old - refers to renaming of the stand 'this week', which certainly wasn't this week!
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    What he is highlighting is that the comer brothers will be investing in the club long term rather than just the 3 years.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    Out of the 21 play-off series' since they were introduced in 1992/1993, First Division sides have only been victorious on 9 occasions- Monaghan Utd (1993, 2011), Home Farm Everton (1996), Kilkenny City (2000), Dublin City (2005), Dundalk (2006), Finn Harps (2007), Sporting Fingal (2009), Galway FC (2014).
    And feckin' hell, four of those nine were against us!
    I do think the relegation part of the play-off should have been dispensed with by now - promotion play-offs by all means, but relegation should be automatic. An imbalance that the second-last-placed side might have weeks (or half the season ) to effectively abandon a busted flush of a premier division campaign and concentrate on the one game that will keep them up, while the promotion-seeking side knock the sh!te out of themselves to make that same game.
    Must add my +1 to the Galway congrats though, best footballing side in the Division this year by some way.
    Last edited by stann; 04/11/2014 at 8:38 AM.
    more bass

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    I do think the relegation part of the play-off should have been dispensed with by now - promotion play-offs by all means, but relegation should be automatic. An imbalance that the second-last-placed side might have weeks (or half the season ) to effectively abandon a busted flush of a premier division campaign and concentrate on the one game that will keep them up, while the promotion-seeking side knock the sh!te out of themselves to make that same game.
    Must add my +1 to the Galway congrats though, best footballing side in the Division this year by some way.

Still sore?

Promotion/Relegation play offs are what they are. All clubs know the rules before the campaign starts.
    Long Live King Kenny

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Still sore?

Promotion/Relegation play offs are what they are. All clubs know the rules before the campaign starts.
    Incisive. Play-offs are different in different jurisdictions, and have been known to change. The football league in England did away with the relegation aspect of their play-off system within a couple of seasons IIRC. Serie A never had it, I think. Of course all clubs know what the rules are before each season, doesn't alter the view that it's far from the best system.

You'd be surprised how quickly quite a lot of Blues fans got over that play-off, by the way (and the ill-advised and regrettable course of action taken afterwards), and any residual memory would have been fairly comprehensively wiped out by the season just endured, so jokey reference notwithstanding, no.
    Nice to see it's still forefront in some people's minds though.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post

Still finished third. Gah.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Still sore?

Not always

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    Still sore?

Should we simply accept the status quo though? I think the idea of 2 up and 2 down is much more appealing straight out than a relegation play off, and that's not just because Harps are in the First Division. When we were last relegated, there was a shift in numbers in the Premier and three teams went straight down, meaning much more competition right through to the last day of the season towards the bottom end of the table.

Would certainly be in favour of two down, one up automatically with second/third promotion play-off as is the case in most European leagues.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Not always
    I maybe wrong but as far I know 2006 had no promotion or relegation that season and positions were determined over some criteria that I forget. Also the game between Dundalk and Waterford in the playoff was not sanctioned and as I remember Des Casey at the time was on the restructuring panel and critised the game taking place.
    Dundalk didn't make the cut that year and neither did Waterford but shelbournes collapse relegated them and Waterford took their place.
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Should we simply accept the status quo though? I think the idea of 2 up and 2 down is much more appealing straight out than a relegation play off, and that's not just because Harps are in the First Division. When we were last relegated, there was a shift in numbers in the Premier and three teams went straight down, meaning much more competition right through to the last day of the season towards the bottom end of the table.

Would certainly be in favour of two down, one up automatically with second/third promotion play-off as is the case in most European leagues.
    I would prefer the same because the league is the league and the placings should be defacto. In our league though with 12 team division v and 8 team there should be only 2nd v 2nd from bottom if there is a playoff.

Isn't there UEFA rule that if there is a change in league promotion/relegation then 2 years notice has to be given
    Long Live King Kenny

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I maybe wrong but as far I know 2006 had no promotion or relegation that season and positions were determined over some criteria that I forget. Also the game between Dundalk and Waterford in the playoff was not sanctioned and as I remember Des Casey at the time was on the restructuring panel and critised the game taking place.
    Dundalk didn't make the cut that year and neither did Waterford but shelbournes collapse relegated them and Waterford took their place.
    It is a time and series of events that are probably best left where they lie.

18. Thanks From:

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910