Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gibraltar (H) - Sat, 11th Oct. / Germany (A) - Tues, 14th Oct.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I would be intrigued to see a 4-2-2-2 against Germany. Whelan and McCarthy holding. Possibly Quinn and McGeady again, but just playing narrower (Quinn on Schwiensteiger?). Doyle and Long upfront.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yes, you are
    ah boll0¢ks
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

Squad for Gibraltar and Germany

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/inter...ireland-squad/

Conor Sammon has been named in the 37-man provisional squad for the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2016 qualifiers with Gibraltar and Germany.

Paul Green in. Joey Obrien out. I suspect thats the end of his international career.

Republic of Ireland squad: David Forde, Shay Given, Keiren Westwood, Darren Randolph, Rob Elliot, Richard Keogh, Marc Wilson, Seamus Coleman, John O'Shea, Alex Pearce, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Damien Delaney, Shane Duffy, James McCarthy, Jeff Hendrick, Ciaran Clark, Stephen Ward, Glenn Whelan, Darron Gibson, Andy Reid, Paul Green, Aidan McGeady, Anthony Pilkington, James McClean, Robbie Brady, Stephen Quinn, David Meyler, Wes Hoolahan, Robbie Keane, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy, Jon Walters, Kevin Doyle, Anthony Stokes, Simon Cox, Conor Sammon.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Joey Obrien out. I suspect thats the end of his international career.
    dont think he played last sat v liverpool and saw it reported he is out injured

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Is O'Neill obliged to name an enlarged squad or is it just to manage relationships with club managers? It seems a bit pointless naming such a long list.

I agree wrt O'Brien. No loss. He clearly can't be depended on to be available so no point pinning any hopes on him. Meyler might be the beneficiary.

Cillian Sheridan might be disappointed. McGoldrick must be struggling with his passport forms, though he is still on the way back from injury I suppose.

Isn't Stokes due in court on those dates?

There'll be hoots and howls regarding Green but resist lads, please.

I expect there'll be some derision over some younger lads not being in the squad but their time will come. I can't comment on whether, for example, Mason or Murray are better than some named (like for like) but I'm not fussed really. That's not a dig at TOWK by the way, who I know rates Mason. It's more to pre-empt the usual cries of not calling up Zak Gilsenan because he's a talented 13 year old.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 23/09/2014 at 9:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    These squad announcements are really going to lose their lustre if O'Neill is going to pick the majority of players he can pick.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Is O'Neill obliged to name an enlarged squad or is it just to manage relationships with club managers? It seems a bit pointless naming such a long list.

I agree wrt O'Brien. No loss. He clearly can't be depended on to be available so no point pinning any hopes on him. Meyler might be the beneficiary.

Cillian Sheridan might be disappointed. McGoldrick must be struggling with his passport forms, though he is still on the way back from injury I suppose.

Isn't Stokes due in court on those dates?

There'll be hoots and howls regarding Green but resist lads, please.

I expect there'll be some derision over some younger lads not being in the squad but their time will come. I can't comment on whether, for example, Mason or Murray are better than some named (like for like) but I'm not fussed really. That's not a dig at TOWK by the way, who I know rates Mason. It's more to pre-empt the usual cries of not calling up Zak Gilsenan because he's a talented 13 year old.
    do we know if that gilsenan lad and the other lad at real are still at barca and real?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I haven't heard otherwise. Was it Real or Atletico?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    I haven't heard otherwise. Was it Real or Atletico?
    oh the real deal. c scotland under 19s have a lad who is playing for real

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Honestly, Sheridan played against Barcelona last week in the Champions League.
    He must be a better option than Sammon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Great to see Andy Reid back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Honestly, Sheridan played against Barcelona last week in the Champions League.
    He must be a better option than Sammon
    Fair play to Sheridan for expanding his horizons and all that, but the fact that he played in the Nou Camp is indicative of nothing but luck of the draw.

Remember Alan Mahon played in the Bernabeu for Sporting Lisbon. David Connolly started up front for Feyenoord away to Juventus. Phil Babb, Darren O'Dea and Andy O'Brien have more Champions League experience than Richard Dunne. Liam Miller has scored as many Champions League goals as Robbie Keane.

I've seen Sheridan play enough times; he adds very little bar effort and size. He scored six goals in twenty-odd appearances in the Cypriot League last season. I'd imagine the likes of Cox, Walters, Murphy and Best would rattle in goals at that level.

I personally think Sammon is an awful footballer, and I'd have Mason or Best ahead of him, without doubt. However, I don't agree with the logic that 'Sheridan plays for a team in the Champions League groups, therefore he must be international standard'. A few games in the CL can't obscure the fact that Sheridan is playing in a poor league, and not exactly standing out.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Sheridan is the first-choice striker in the top team in Cyprus. It's not a great league but their European performances show they are pretty good. I don't reckon I'd have him in the squad either, but you're writing him off a bit prematurely, I think.

As for Mason, we don't even know if he still wants to play for Ireland. He was very suddenly not in the underage managers' plans and hasn't featured for three or four years now. We can't assume he is a current option.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Sheridan is the first-choice striker in the top team in Cyprus. It's not a great league but their European performances show they are pretty good. I don't reckon I'd have him in the squad either, but you're writing him off a bit prematurely, I think.

As for Mason, we don't even know if he still wants to play for Ireland. He was very suddenly not in the underage managers' plans and hasn't featured for three or four years now. We can't assume he is a current option.
    In fairness Charles I dont think Paul Doolin was at fault with mason !

17. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Cillian Sheridan 2012–2013 Kilmarnock 26 (9)
    Conor Sammon 2008–2011 Kilmarnock 65 (17)

Not much between them to be honest but I wouldn't waste too much time debating players who would be at best 4th choice striker.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'm equivocal over Sheridan. He certainly deserves consideration, especially over Sammon, but just because he played in the Nou Camp means nothing. Stokes impressed at San Siro last year.

If Daryl Murphy took a pay cut (I presume he'd have to?) and played for Apoel would he do better than Sheridan? I wouldn't be surprised.

There's really very little to argue with in this squad. As usual any controversy is at the margins and not really of any significance.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 23/09/2014 at 12:38 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Killian Brennan and Keith Fahy played in European this year too!!!

All joking aside, if Stokes is getting a chance then Sheridan, Mooney and Doyle should be giving a look at. League One is more or less on the same level as the SPL and the Cyproit league.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBlackCat View Post
    Killian Brennan and Keith Fahy played in European this year too!!!

All joking aside, if Stokes is getting a chance then Sheridan, Mooney and Doyle should be giving a look at. League One is more or less on the same level as the SPL and the Cyproit league.
    The pertinent issue with Stokes is not the standard of the league he plays in, it's the low standard of his play this season and his last season was so so. Anyway, Stokes most probably won't get a chance and get called up. I suppose one reason why all the extras are included in this preliminary squad, is to tell them that they do exist somewhere on the radar, seeing one's name in black and white confirms that more than a verbal.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Why is Stokes in the squad anyway? His trial is that week so he won't be able to take part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Why is Stokes in the squad anyway? His trial is that week so he won't be able to take part.
    Why is Stephen Kelly in the squad when he hasn't started a league game for one reason or other since the turn of the year? Why is Andy Reid getting called up when he is only playing league games with injections? Why are Simon Cox, Paul Green and Conor Sammon in the squad when they are not good enough?

There is not much to argue about with the squad selections but there is still grounds for concern. As big as the squad is there isn't a player in it who didn't feature under Trapattoni. We aren't brimming with full backs so why isn't Matt Doherty of Wolves getting in the squad? Why isn't Eunan O'Kane getting in the squad?

It's pretty unimaginative. They should try and bring a couple of players through on form. Poland have loads of players on minus ten caps getting call ups for competitive duty. We seem to be straitjacketing ourselves by only calling up players who already have over 5 caps - regardless of their suitability.

Left-back is a serious problem. Stephen Ward isn't getting first team football. Joey O'Brien is not available. They have to try and do something about it. For sheer lack of depth there, Tommie Hoban or Ian Bermingham should be called up to get assessed in person. WTF happens if Ward and Wilson are unavailable at the same time? It's not like we can ask O'Shea to fill in there anymore.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast