Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Matchweek 28 [September 19-21]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Was always going to be a tricky game for Cork, so it was a good 3 points for them. We are still 3 points clear, (4 with GD as that won't be beaten) so we're still very much favourites. I'm not so sure Cork will win all of their remaining games before the last one, we mightn't either, but 4 wins from 5 for us and we're league champions. I still think 10 points might be enough to win it.

It might very well go down to the last game (temporary stand!!!!) who knows, definitely interesting last 5 games for both now, and our 3 away games (2 in a row) will be key, if we can't beat UCD, Athlone & Bray we don't deserve to win it.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Cork appear to have made hard work of beating a depleted Limerick side. However, they got the expected three points in the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Not sure limerick were any more depleted than us.. We had 2 suspensions, 3 injuries. All to players who would start.

Very good 3 pts IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    Very good 3 pts IMO.
    Damn right. No such thing as a bad 3 points in a title race.

It's still all to play for.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    if we can't beat UCD, Athlone & Bray we don't deserve to win it.

That's a pretty big statement!

The team that finishes top of the table (usually) deserves to win it.

There are load of permutations - It is even possible to lose 2 of the above mentioned games, and top the table by winning the other remaining 3 games

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Certainly keeps things interesting anyway and the permutations simple. Dundalk can afford to drop three points and still win the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Saw Cork for the 3rd time this season this evening, very poor side, they'd give Stoke City a bad name. Come on Dundalk!
    "We've had a lot of good times, but you don't know how good they are until you have the bad ones" Tony Adams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Shame ye couldn't take a single point from the 3 games considering the silky football Limerick play!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They'd lost the moral battle before the game even started.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    Shame ye couldn't take a single point from the 3 games considering the silky football Limerick play!
    we aint gonna be champions Adam, but lets hope that terrible team of yours aint gonna be either. Long ball diagonal rubbish to corners all night. We prob had 80% of the possession and a mistake gave yee the win. Best of luck in the run in but for footballs sake i really hope Dundalk do it. As for a few of your fans at the end of the game

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353 View Post
    we aint gonna be champions Adam, but lets hope that terrible team of yours aint gonna be either. Long ball diagonal rubbish to corners all night. We prob had 80% of the possession and a mistake gave yee the win. Best of luck in the run in but for footballs sake i really hope Dundalk do it. As for a few of your fans at the end of the game
    I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourselves, lads. You've only been playing proper football for a month or so. Cork play better stuff than all but Pats and Dundalk.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Certainly hope Galway get promotion this year. A team, a city, and a ground that needs Premier football. While they weren't overly fantastic last night, they're definitely steadily improving. Harps were just downright awful though. 3 games in a week really took it out of some players, while the fringe players given a run out aren't up to much.
    hope ye get yer first teamers ready for Shels next week as we want a favour pls..If ye can do that we could relax properly for Ballybofey!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourselves, lads. You've only been playing proper football for a month or so. Cork play better stuff than all but Pats and Dundalk.
    At no time did i say i was happy with limericks football Charles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You said you had 80% of the ball, which implied you were doing something right. You might be justified that Cork play very direct and sometimes unimaginative football, but they're a pretty good team and derbies across the board tend not to be the most flowing of encounters. I've seen Cork play really good football this season and I've seen them play really bad stuff.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    What happened at the end of the game? I was there but didn't see a thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    They started singing football songs, the whole town was offended, especially the women and children.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    You said you had 80% of the ball, which implied you were doing something right. You might be justified that Cork play very direct and sometimes unimaginative football, but they're a pretty good team and derbies across the board tend not to be the most flowing of encounters. I've seen Cork play really good football this season and I've seen them play really bad stuff.
    Cork went 4 5 1...in their own half...we played around at the back but had nothing going forward. Maybe it was the blanket defense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Cork went 4 5 1...in their own half...we played around at the back but had nothing going forward. Maybe it was the blanket defense.
    I didn't see the game but maybe Limerick just played well? I've seen enough games to know - god, I've seen Shamrock Rovers game under Croly - and I've played in enough to know that you can send your players out to play a certain way and the other team just forces you backwards, especially away from home. Limerick are a good side with some good passers of the ball and Martin Russell has encouraged that. His teams tend to try to dominate the ball and to force you to work hard to find space. Cork might have been lumping diagonal balls but that doesn't mean it was the gameplan, it's often just the way the game turns out.

I saw Cork in Tallaght and in Richmond and they played the game relatively short, passed the ball around the middle and used it to create space out wide. I also saw them against Bohemians and UCD on TV and they weren't allowed to do that, so they used more direct tactics. I've also seen Dundalk and Pats resort to playing it long when the opportunities weren't there to play the ball short all the time. That's just the way it is in this league - there's no team so good they can impose their gameplan in each and every game. Pats are probably the closest but they have their moments too, because football doesn't always work out the way you want it to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    The Cork Pavement Dancing Tween Crew or whatever they call themselves got the trouble they came looking for.

Another puzzler for the local constabulary. These clowns were standing across the road from the home section before full time. Mayorstone Garda station is about fifty feet away and they couldn't muster up one rookie to tell these eight or nine children move on, with the result that one of them ends up in an ambulance and will probably miss his foundation maths class in the morning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    The Cork Pavement Dancing Tween Crew or whatever they call themselves got the trouble they came looking for.

Another puzzler for the local constabulary. These clowns were standing across the road from the home section before full time. Mayorstone Garda station is about fifty feet away and they couldn't muster up one rookie to tell these eight or nine children move on, with the result that one of them ends up in an ambulance and will probably miss his foundation maths class in the morning.
    They were probably Shamrock Rovers fans. Did they have umbrellas?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast