Thread: Eligibility Rules

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts

Eligibility Rules

From yesterday’s Indo (in relation to Macken):

However, the recent claim from Fulham defender Zat Knight that he might declare for Ireland, seemingly initiated by his agent due to the player being consistently ignored by Sven Goran Eriksson, has not mirrored Macken's apparently meaningful pledges of loyalty in any way according to Kerr.

"Nobody has contacted me about it," said Kerr, who last night launched the FAI's Technical Development Plan roadshow in Portlaoise.

"The one-year amnesty allowed by FIFA is nearly up at this point so there'd be a lot of work to do at this stage of it.”

I wasn’t aware that there was only a limited window to switch allegiance. Does this mean we needn’t be fretting about people like Leon Best jumping ship, and that the Zat Knights & Noel Whelans of this world can be put back in their boxes before too long?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Found the rules on the English FA website

----------------------------------------------------------
    The new FIFA Statutes which came into force on 1 January 2004 saw a significant change regarding international eligibility for players with dual nationality.
    The new Article 15 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the FIFA Statutes has been amended to state that that "a player may exercise his right to change Associations only if he has not played at "A" international level for his country and if, at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition of any other category, he already had such nationalities."

Previously, players with dual nationality were deemed to have committed themselves to one national association after playing a competitive match at any level.

The new regulation also states that up to their 21st birthday, a player with dual nationality, a player may only once request changing the association for which he is eligible to play international matches.

However, any player who has already had their 21st birthday at the time of these provisions being implemented and who hold dual nationality have twelve months in which to request to change Associations.

This request must be submitted in writing to FIFA and will be decided upon by the FIFA Players' Status Committee.

After making the request the player is no longer qualified to play for his current national association.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

The way I read this is that any player over 21 who has played for a country at underage level but not at senior level has until the end of this year to change country. Anyone under 21 who has played underage football but hasn't played for the senior team can change up until their 21st birthday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha
    The way I read this is that any player over 21 who has played for a country at underage level but not at senior level has until the end of this year to change country.
    Good news I suppose.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Thanks Irish Praha. Your summary is a bit more to the point than my summary on soccercentral!

Looks like Best is free to jump ship until he's 21 unless we give him a senior cap. McGeady is ours for keeps.

If Whelan, Gallen, Nolan or Knight have played competitive underage football for England they only have until 1st January 2005 to declare. I think we should get them to declare and then tell them to sod off. Once you write to FIFA the declaration is irreversible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    whatever about anyone else lads get nolan on a form surely he is a quality midfielder playin regularly in the premiership there is no reason not to tie him down cos RMK aint gonna be around forever and can anyone see a real genuine replacement coming on the horizon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    If Whelan, Gallen, Nolan or Knight have played competitive underage football for England they only have until 1st January 2005 to declare.
    Just to clear it up, once we hit 2005 no player over 21 can change alliance? Is there anywhere a bit more clearer because that FA thing just says 12 months. 12 months from when?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    12 months from 1st January 2004 according to FIFA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Just to clear it up, once we hit 2005 no player over 21 can change alliance?
    That's what it looks like. Good idea IMO.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know this wont go down well, but I would get Nolan on board. I was at the Bolton V Newcastle game a few weeks ago and he looked handy. After 2006, we wont have Keane and there maybe more who will retire.

I know we have a few players coming through the ranks, but I believe its good to have a strong and competitive squad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zidane
    I know this wont go down well, but I would get Nolan on board. I was at the Bolton V Newcastle game a few weeks ago and he looked handy. After 2006, we wont have Keane and there maybe more who will retire.

I know we have a few players coming through the ranks, but I believe its good to have a strong and competitive squad.
    Im all for having Kevin Nolan in our squad, but I also want Rory Delap in the squad. They're similar players, but it just goes to show how stubborn Brian Kerr is.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo