Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 36 of 66 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You can watch the whole thing back on tets' link.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Does that mean he leaves the FAI position if elected? The answer to this question may or may not lead to me starting as "John Delaney for UEFA Committee" campaign.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Does that mean he leaves the FAI position if elected? The answer to this question may or may not lead to me starting as "John Delaney for UEFA Committee" campaign.
    Don't shoot the messenger but
    'As a general rule, the UEFA Executive Committee meets once every two months,'

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Successfully elected. 2nd highest vote of candidates running

The mind boggles
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post

The mind boggles
    Not at all.

He's a genius at this schnakey stuff.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post

The mind boggles
    not really, I've been saying it for a while that his long term aim is to be president of UEFA, this is another rung on the ladder
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'm with bttw. I'm not even remotely surprised but yet my mind boggles. I know it sounds contradictory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    its being reported that he will earn another €100,000 on top of his current mad FAI salary. surely he should take a pay cut from his FAI salary if he wont have as much time to spend on FAI matters from now on??

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    To the outside eye though, he must be doing a great job. He's delivered the Aviva Stadium, overseen Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk become the first two Irish sides to break into European group stage football, seen Ireland qualify for successive European Championship tournaments, writing off massive debt in good time...

They don't see the mess that Irish club football is in, the disgraceful amounts of prize money 'awarded' to League of Ireland clubs, the lack of transparency in the FAI accounts, the hiring of his own missus to a cushy job, the enormous and ultimately ridiculous salary he has awarded himself, the shambles that is the Womens football team story that's come to light this week, the p!ss up's and lack of professionalism shown on Irish away trips, the refusal to take questions at FAI AGM's, the refusal to take interviews from Irish journalists, and probably a hundred other things I've forgotten about while writing this.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Delaney will go from strength to strength because those who keep him in power are well provided for.
    As long as the blazers like Fitzgerard & his cronies are backing him we'll be stuck with him.

Fair dues to the International Womens squad for taking the stand they have.
    If they didn't stand up they would still be waiting into the future.
    Its like the mens team when the FAI blazers were travelling 1st class while the players were sitting in the cheap seats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    To the outside eye though, he must be doing a great job. He's delivered the Aviva Stadium, overseen Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk become the first two Irish sides to break into European group stage football, seen Ireland qualify for successive European Championship tournaments, writing off massive debt in good time...

They don't see the mess that Irish club football is in, the disgraceful amounts of prize money 'awarded' to League of Ireland clubs, the lack of transparency in the FAI accounts, the hiring of his own missus to a cushy job, the enormous and ultimately ridiculous salary he has awarded himself, the shambles that is the Womens football team story that's come to light this week, the p!ss up's and lack of professionalism shown on Irish away trips, the refusal to take questions at FAI AGM's, the refusal to take interviews from Irish journalists, and probably a hundred other things I've forgotten about while writing this.
    That's a really good post as it captures the disconnect between making headlines and making meaningful changes. JD is expert at the former and absolutely useless at the latter.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    You could buy a lot of ladies' track suits with €100k. Pay the abysmally low bonuses that some of our national players deem sufficient compensation for their time and dedication. Maybe even pony up for some wifi access. I'm confident Delaney will do the right thing.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 05/04/2017 at 9:15 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    An excellent post indeed Nigel. They're likely also unaware of details such as he's delivered a stadium the FAI will never own or derive non-football income from. That many at Rovers and Dundalk (and elsehwere) will say their successes are in spite of him. That the financial packages assembled to lure the big name managers have set a precedent that could haunt us for decades and leave us beholden to some right dodgy blokes -and that the debts have merely been 'restructured'.

He is made for UEFA. I only wish they'd take him altogether.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Perhaps it'll all go wrong for him and we'll look back at today as the day he flew too close to the sun.

Or maybe he'll use all his guile and duplicity to screw millions out of UEFA for Irish football
    Last edited by backstothewall; 05/04/2017 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    You could buy a lot of ladies' track suits with €100k. Pay the abysmally low bonuses that some of our national players deem sufficient compensation for their time and dedication. Maybe even pony up for some wifi access. I'm confident Delaney will do the right thing.
    Yea the right thing for Delaney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Knowing John Delaney he'll give the women's team everything they have asked for, then despite having ignored them for a decade or more he'll hold a press conference with the squad to explain how although he wasn't aware of the issues (despite countless letters, emails & phone calls), as soon as he heard about the press conference he acted immediately to solve all the problems. Then he'll spin the whole thing to show how he's a man of action and a champion for the women's game. On the back of the spin he'll end up being responsible for womens football on the UEFA Exec Committee, and use the position to bring the 2027 women's World Cup to Ireland. A mobile phone video will emerge from a do in the Aras after the opening ceremony showing him ****ed out of his head and pinching President Mary-Lou McDonald on the arse, but it'll be all smiles between them by the time the final comes round at Lansdowne Road

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The 100,000 euro hug of relief, our John and Zbig Boniek share the moment, with manly intimacy.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

To be fair, I don't think he awards the salary to himself. Is that not job of the Council on which there are 60 members or is that the Board's function?

Has the FAI not also arranged for Dublin to be awarded three group games and a last-16 fixture at Euro 2020 which is a bit of a coup.

I have lived through the days when the FAI was the laughing stock of the country (you'll say it still is) and the international team played its games in a dilapidated Dalymount Park. The LoI was well in decline before Delaney took over, due mostly to the Big Match and Match of the Day, but it certainly seems to be in a better state than our brethren across the border. Live LoI games on TV were never shown (are they ever shown up North?) - in fact it took a long time before RTE would even show the Cup Final live. I may be wrong but the first one I remember was in the early 1970s between Cork Hibs and Shels and I remember cringing because it was a 0-0 draw.

That's not to say that a lot of your points are not well made but the truth in most things is usually somewhere in the middle ground.

I'll go off and get my asbestos jacket now.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Page 36 of 66 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast