Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RTE to show games until 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

RTE to show games until 2018

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish...24-rte-fai-tv/

RTÉ will show 78 live SSE Airtricity League Premier Division and FAI Ford Cup games as part of a new agreement with the Football Association of Ireland, which runs from now until November 2018.
    The deal also includes live coverage of all of the Republic of Ireland’s qualification matches in the UEFA EURO 2016 qualification campaign, which kicks off on Sunday, 7 September, against Georgia in Tbilisi, and highlights of all home international friendly matches.
    Soccer Republic will also continue to cover domestic and international football on Monday evenings.
    Commenting on the news, FAI chief executive John Delaney said: “I want to thank RTÉ for their continued support of Irish football, both in the SSE Airtricity League and our international matches.
    "With an exciting league season under way and as we head into a highly anticipated EURO 2016 qualification campaign, television exposure is important for the development and promotion of the game and helps the Association continue the work it does across all strands of the game in every part of Ireland.”

Acting Group Head of RTÉ Sport Clíona O’Leary added: “We are delighted to extend our partnership with the FAI, bringing Irish viewers live free-to-air coverage across the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division and FAI Ford Cup.
    “This comprehensive coverage, combined with Soccer Republic, an exciting series covering all aspects of the game, with a particular focus on football in Ireland, underlines our strong commitment to the domestic game.
    "And, as RTÉ has already secured live broadcast rights for all of Ireland’s Euro 2016 qualifying games, we really have the most comprehensive offering for fans, all free-to-air.”

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    anyone know if that represents and increase or decrease ? havent a notion myself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Sounds good and then break it down to 4 season 17/18 games as season, cup semis and the final, so 13-15 league games per season, Added to Setanta coverage and its not that different to the current set up is it? Does the agreement feature any renumeration to clubs or are we expected to be grateful for simply having the privilage of RTE showing games. Maybe UTV Ireland has stirred things up a little

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    RTE are said to be delighted to have been paid by the FAI for this arrangement.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    RTE will cover a few games at the start of the season usually Dublin based games, then nothing in the mid part of the season or European coverage, coverage will appear again for the FAI semi's and end of season league deciding games..............!
    ?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    So what's in this for the clubs? Increase your profile on live tv, and in some cases see a reduced attendance?

There should be a properly compensated arrangement in place for the home side to get a set fee for each game, and not just the previous arrangement of having to be on for certain amount of times, even that was a paltry sum.

I think it's good for the league and shows good commitment from rte but the clubs need to paid as without them there is no game on TV.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    How much is this deal actually worth to the FAI and do the clubs see any monetary reward?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    How much is this deal actually worth to the FAI and do the clubs see any monetary reward?
    Not sure if you're joking or not regarding the clubs.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Being on TV on a weekly basis should be worth a fair bit to premier clubs in terms of the commercial revenue they bring in. Retaining Soccer Republic is the main thing here- it helps all premier clubs in terms of exposure.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Not sure if you're joking or not regarding the clubs.
    I was actually being serious, but I'm not sure why I thought anything might have radically changed in terms of how the clubs are treated under this "new deal". It will be more or less a continuation of the same, assuming RTÉ honour this one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    The harsh truth is that RTE neither need nor (I would guess) want to show the league. Is this a condition of them getting International rights ? Anyway, it means the clubs are not in a strong bargaining position when it comes to demanding payment for games.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Is this a condition of them getting International rights ?
    RTÉ's original announcement would suggest that they had already secured the international rights:

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    “And, as RTÉ has already secured live broadcast rights for all of Ireland’s Euro 2016 qualifying games, we really have the most comprehensive offering for fans, all free-to-air.”
    Although I'm almost certain I saw another report on it somewhere which indicated that the LOI coverage was tagged onto a deal for the international games. I can't quite put my finger on it now though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    When they're getting a chance to air the games at no significant cost to them, and without having to pay the clubs, it's a no brainer for RTÉ.

They take a lot of flak at times, but at least they are actually willing to show a certain number of games each season as well as a very decent highlights package. While Soccer Republic is by no means perfect, it's light-years ahead of anything the league has ever had before in my opinion.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Any chance the Bwin or Bet365 will do live streaming next season like they agreed for the Irish League? It could be a revenue stream that actually gets to the clubs

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    It could be a revenue stream that actually gets to the clubs
    That rules out that so.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    Any chance the Bwin or Bet365 will do live streaming next season like they agreed for the Irish League?
    Where did you hear that? Can't find any reference to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    That's an amazing service for Northern clubs and fans. You can be sure the FAI have sold off the broadcasting rights for a pittance and RTE/Setanta would no doubt get their knickers in a twist if games were streamed by Trackchamp. Didn't they (FAI and broadcasters) pull the plug on Rovers and Pat's fans streaming their matches a couple of years ago? I believe the release of footage from our game against Linfield in Windsor has been blocked on similar grounds.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    I know lads in a company overseas that had professional dealings with the FAI. They thought they were a bunch of muppets and that while they dealt with FA's in dodgy places around the world, the FAI's behaviour was still ridiculous in comparison.

So much marketing that would cost them nothing and would take care of itself if they didn't have the hand out before they even knew what was being proposed.

Edit: I'm not tarring everyone in the FAI with the same brush, but you can guess which lads with decision making power would behave like that.
    Last edited by gufcfan; 04/09/2014 at 3:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    I see Sky have pulled coverage of IL matches.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-30571020.html
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast