23 Posts

Ice Bucket Challenge

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    There should an 18s rating against that. especially the coach at the end
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Watching a lot of these i.e. Conor McGregor, you would be forgiven for asking yourself if it is about bringing awareness to a good cause and being benevolent, or if it is about social media hubris and publicity.

I just get the impression that it's all a big laugh to some people, and they wouldn't even be able to tell you what ALS or MND is if you were inclined to ask them.

Am I right in my belief that the rules are you have 24 hours to do the challenge or you have to donate 100 dollars/pounds/euros?!

Don't get me wrong. If attention whoring inadvertently brings awareness to a good cause then I am all for it but I would rather quietly donate and not brag about it then crusade for likes and shares and not actually donate anything to the cause.

Edit: Didn't one of the founders of the ALS challenge die recently in a fit of hubris while jumping off some high object?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Watching a lot of these i.e. Conor McGregor, you would be forgiven for asking yourself if it is about bringing awareness to a good cause and being benevolent, or if it is about social media hubris and publicity.

I just get the impression that it's all a big laugh to some people, and they wouldn't even be able to tell you what ALS or MND is if you were inclined to ask them.

Am I right in my belief that the rules are you have 24 hours to do the challenge or you have to donate 100 dollars/pounds/euros?!

Don't get me wrong. If attention whoring inadvertently brings awareness to a good cause then I am all for it but I would rather quietly donate and not brag about it then crusade for likes and shares and not actually donate anything to the cause.

Edit: Didn't one of the founders of the ALS challenge die recently in a fit of hubris while jumping off some high object?
    He drowned at a charity event where they rose about 100k dollars that day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post

I'd rather you went about your whinging about charitable work quietly too but it seems you'll post it here looking for attention anyway...

Look at the figures here; http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamo...he-dollars-go/

If the worst thing about this a few people you dislike get extra attention than so be it. It's completely worth it if it raises millions for very good causes.

In Ireland the IMNDA have started to use it. Feel free to donate

http://imnda.ie/get-involved/donate/donate-online/
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    With the benefit of hindsight the addition of that edit was stupid and unnecessary on my part.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I'd rather you went about your whinging about charitable work quietly too but it seems you'll post it here looking for attention anyway...

If the worst thing about this a few people you dislike get extra attention than so be it. It's completely worth it if it raises millions for very good causes.

That's unnecessarily intemperate, don't you think? Fair enough, a lot of TOWK's post drive us to distraction, but I'd hate to see any poster have 'belittle' as a default response to their posts.

FWIW, I have some of the same reservations - remember that most of the people chucking ice water on themselves and uploading their shrieks aren't paying anything to charity.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Big ego driven thing, most havent a clue about what its all for, most barely mention it. Another save the girls/kony internet fad. By all means give to charity but why show the world?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post

And I'd rather you went about stalking Jessica Farry quietly but you seem intent to do it on Twitter.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    If only 10 out of every 100 people that do it donate isn't it 10 people that have donated something to a worthy cause.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    I really don't mind everyone doing it and postiong videos, yes sure it's a vanity project for some, and I'd much prefer if they all donated while doing it. But if all these videos are making at least a portion of people aware of the issues being raised, and generates more revenue than would otherwise have been made, then it's for the greater good.

You also get to see famous people, football managers and the like do something amusing with a positive message, that isn't the usual crappy news stories we get treated to.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    I nominate Theonewhoknocks , bennocelt and Dong. The only stipulation is that you must act surprised when water with ice added to it makes you feel momentarily frozen.

20. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Big ego driven thing, most havent a clue about what its all for, most barely mention it. Another save the girls/kony internet fad. By all means give to charity but why show the world?
    Philanthropy often is vanity, though. Personally, I haven't done the ice bucket thing, but I can see how doing it and then donating can make you feel an awful lot more like you've done something meaningful than just donating some money and not really knowing what happens to it. All in all, it's a good thing.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Philanthropy often is vanity, though. Personally, I haven't done the ice bucket thing, but I can see how doing it and then donating can make you feel an awful lot more like you've done something meaningful than just donating some money and not really knowing what happens to it. All in all, it's a good thing.
    Wont argue with that, I can be a cynical c*nt at times. Surprised that Bono hasnt done it yet, thats a surprise

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Wont argue with that, I can be a cynical c*nt at times. Surprised that Bono hasnt done it yet, thats a surprise
    Bono has already single-handedly solved all the problems in the world, he probably feels there's no need. Surprised George Bush didn't nominate him though. That must have hurt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Bono has already single-handedly solved all the problems in the world, he probably feels there's no need. Surprised George Bush didn't nominate him though. That must have hurt.
    He's just waiting for the pope to nominate him.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Whilst it's undoubtedly self-congratulatory and narcissistic,* are most of those taking part at least vindicating themselves by actually donating to the cause? Or does performing the stunt absolve you from having to donate? Do most participants even know what it's all about?

It's also a terrible waste of water; no, really, there were actually people protesting about this in China's drought-stricken Henan Province!

*Well, maybe not in the barely-enthused Roy's case; Roy looked like he was doing it just to please some nark who nominated him:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    You can tell shoddy Roddy's no more than an interior plasterer; that's a shocking paint-job he's done on the exterior side-wall of his house!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    There is a funny one Id seen from John Joe Joyce in Moate doing it but cant find it at moment. its comment section was amusing

30. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast