Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Epl 2014/5

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think EPL players' agents earn more together in one year than the RFU does. Or very close anyway.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Much and all as I hate Pardew's post game "referee is at fault" rants, he made a point that all the time wasting had been by Crystal Palace until Newcastle scored on very late in the game. Thus the Palace equaliser was in the injury time added due to their time wasting. Is this fair? However, the flaw in his argument is that the half would only have lasted 40 minutes if the Palace time wasting was not added on. So in theory Newcastle scored in the 40th minute and Palace in the 45th if the time wasting was taken off.

Apropos nothing, Rolando Aarons has apparently replaced Gary Ablett in the alphabetical list of Premiership scorers.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    There are reports that the first year of Falcao's deal is a loan expressly because of FFP, and a much larger long term deal has been agreed to make him an official Manchester United player in 2015.
    I happened to have a read of this piece on the Daily Mail site* on the increasing prevalence of unusual loan arrangements and was absolutely staggered by its apparent naivety. I'm pretty sure Adrian Durham is one of the Daily Mail's primary football writers - the site even boasts itself to be "sports website of the year" - but he seemed to be completely oblivious of the impact that FFP has had on this transfer window and the favoured method of "transfer" for big-spending clubs in many cases: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...g-players.html

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Durham
    I hate the loan system. This window has seen some bizarre deals – loans with a view to a permanent signing, loans with an obligation to sign permanently, a two-year loan deal, loans between Premier League clubs, and loans with the club sending the player out STILL paying his wages.

Supporting a club is belonging to a club, being part of a club. The team representing that club goes on to the field and can generate passions and memories that very few other things in life can bring.

I don’t expect the players to have the same love and support for a club that the fans have. But I do expect commitment for all the time they are there.

At a time when, at the top level of our game, players have become so distant from fans, the plethora of loans sadly increase that distance.

Sunderland signed two players on loan on deadline day – Sebastian Coates from Liverpool, and Ricardo Alvarez from Inter Milan. I’ve no reason to doubt they will both put in 100 per cent when asked to play for their ‘temporary’ club.

But ultimately these players don’t belong to Sunderland. They’re not as committed to the club, because they don’t belong there.

The same applies to all loans, although the bizarre nature of Alvaro Negredo’s ‘loan’ switch from Manchester City to Valencia is a bit different. He’s joined on loan, but at the end of his year-long stay back in Spain, Valencia are obliged to buy him from City.

So why not just buy him now?

And what’s to stop Valencia carrying out their obligation of signing him permanently next summer, but then immediately selling him on to a Premier League club, possibly one of City’s rivals?

In this case, the commitment of Valencia to the player is questionable.

Players loaned between Premier League clubs simply shouldn’t be allowed. The only exceptions should be Under 21s – loan moves for Jack Wilshere, Daniel Sturridge and, long before that, David Beckham proved fruitful.

But on deadline day Gaston Ramirez, an international who set up Uruguay’s winning goal against Italy to take them through the group stage in Brazil, a player who was Southampton’s record signing only two years ago, a ‘statement’ signing after the club’s fantastic rise from the depths of League One back to the Premier League, joined top-flight rivals Hull City on a season-long loan.

It’s a clever move from Steve Bruce – his record signing Abel Hernandez was also at the World Cup with Uruguay. The £9.5million striker might settle in quicker with a familiar face close by.

Having lived in Hull I can see where Bruce is coming from with that thinking.

But one Premier League club borrowing a World Cup player from another Premier League club is just wrong. If you want him – buy him.

If you can’t afford to buy him, then don’t buy him. Loans like these can sometimes depend on which managers or chairmen are friendly with each other – this isn’t how football should work.

Some loans are understandable – Radamel Falcao’s serious injury that forced him to miss the World Cup would be enough to make any club want to ‘try before they buy.’

A serious glut of injuries, or the sudden departure of a key player, might also lead to loan moves. Some temporary transfers are understandable, but generally I’m not in favour of loans.

He didn't mention FFP once in the piece, so it obviously hadn't struck him that it's a primary motivating factor in what he merely comprehends as "bizarre" or inexplicable arrangements. I just thought it a bit strange that a professional football writer wouldn't spot something so obvious. It's embarrassingly imperceptive. What else could have triggered such an odd spate of "transfer" agreements?

*I have to resort to it sometimes as it's one of the few sites uncensored in work, I swear!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    It's going to be a long hard slog of a season for Man Utd. Top heavy with talent but a staggering lack of depth at the back and then there is the Rooney conundrum.

3-3 at the moment with Leicester.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    The way that Van Gaal and Woodward have approached the United defence is truly baffling. Between the recurring injury problems (must be some issue with the physio/training regime) and the steadfast refusal to bring in proper CB's to replace Ferdinand and Vidic, its already bad, but then you have this self-evident lack of confidence. The way some of them were hoofing balls away when 3-2 up defied belief.

Opposition teams have long since figured out that when something goes wrong they just panic, and its been happening since Alex Ferguson retired. Every time I see United play nowadays, I see their defenders getting hassled in possession, and struggling to deal with it.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    There I was going to post about the League Cup after the Liverpool vs Boro game that the Championship sides are as good if not better than the multi-million pound players who are in the Premiership squads - that was until Maine Road last night. Mind you Forest gave Spurs reserves a tough time and Bolton almost forced a draw against Chelsea.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    This banner was displayed by anti-Pardew Newcastle fans today away to Swansea:

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Mourinho's lucky he didn't shake Van Gaal's hand early yesterday to head off down the tunnel; he'd have gotten serious football pie on his face. Would he even have dared to try something so disrespectful with his old buddy anyway?

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Mourinho's lucky he didn't shake Van Gaal's hand early yesterday to head off down the tunnel; he'd have gotten serious football pie on his face. Would he even have dared to try something so disrespectful with his old buddy anyway?
    Does he ever dare to do it when his side are only one up?
    Lets talk about six baby

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    If only...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Why would Palace want Pardew? Ashley giving him a 5 year contract makes sense now with the compensation he might get.

Irvine sacked by WBA. Strange appointment when you consider his record:

...............................P....W....D....L... ..Win %
    Preston North End.....110...45..25...40.... 40.91
    Sheffield Wednesday...59...24..13...22.... 40.68

Nice guy but not sure he was of Premiership standard as a manager.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Steven Gerrard: Leaving Liverpool

Say it ain't so, Stevie.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Took long enough. Lot of liabilities in that squad.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Sky Sports have released their new score centre app for mobiles, but it's slow and loaded with unnecessary ads, so I've written a different version of it and it's running here: http://tetsujin1979.github.io/ngSkySports/
    if you're of a coding nature, you can clone the source here: https://github.com/tetsujin1979/ngSkySports
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Steven Gerrard: Leaving Liverpool

Say it ain't so, Stevie.
    Three pages, yes three pages, devoted to this story in Saturday's Irish Independent. Bizarre.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Three pages, yes three pages, devoted to this story in Saturday's Irish Independent. Bizarre.
    Incredible, unreal, crazy. Mad stuff Ted!
    Lets talk about six baby

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    It speaks volumes for what really matters to the Irish football fan / viewer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    My mistake. It was four and three quarter (the back page had a smidgen of rugby) pages for an English footballer who won one Champions League medal and never won a league medal. I can't remember how much coverage Robbie Keane got when he announced that he was going to the USA other than a lot of abuse, especially from the Indo. Never seen anything like it before.

24. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast