Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Epl 2014/5

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    901 Posts
    Those messages cross the line alright. Nothing glib or inadvertently offensive them at all. Mackay will find it hard to rebuild his reputation. Tan isn't coming up smelling of roses either though: if I get you right, CD, he seems to have held out the threat of exposure (blackmail by any other word) to force Mackay to drop a lawsuit. What's that old saying - revenge is a dish best served cold?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Haha, it hasn't finished EG. Convenient the timing here, hours after Mackay apologised for the texts that were leaked out, more have emerged. Mackay apparently referred to Tan as a chink, and Moody makes reference to Mackay being a racist: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...Tan-chink.html

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    A week later came another illuminating exchange, offering what appears to be a startling observation about Mackay. At the time, Mackay was concerned that a player they were pursuing had been linked with a rival club. He relayed his feelings to Moody, who replied: ‘He told me he had an offer to go there but will never accept because the manager is a racist. Thankfully he hasn’t met you.’

Harry Redknapp?

Also, on what planet is it acceptable to blow off steam by referring to people as "chinks" and "*******"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Hmm, I'll maybe retract that "decent man" hunch for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Mackay apparently referred to Tan as a chink
    The most ignorant form of racism; if one must be racist, must they further humiliate themselves and be such a lunkhead so as to be geographically inaccurate and unaware of which ethnic group they're actually trying to insult?

6. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I doubt it's Redknapp as they were never in the same division so wouldn't be competing for players like that, but I don't think you could speculate who it is since a) even if we knew the player, we wouldn't know who the other club is and b) there are probably a few racist managers around.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Who sends that kind of banter as a text message though? Fair enuff if it was said with mates and all but actually sending it off as texts, that takes a little more thought. A little more mind!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    You'd never get racist or antii-Semetic content in GAA texts or social media What was that idiot thinking?

I wonder how the Mackay texts got into the public realm?

What annoys me most about this episode is that these two are among the younger guys on the circuit. Football can't be expected to rid itself of old dinosaurs who grew up in a less enlightened time but Mackay is in his 40s. He's younger than me I think. Nobody my age finds this stuff even borderline acceptable anymore. Mackay needs to sit down with The Duke of Edinburgh for a lesson on contemporary political correctness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The Daily Mail (Sportsmail) broke the news of the exchanges as an "exclusive" and claim to have been involved in "months of investigation": http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...e-Cardiff.html

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Mail
    After months of investigation, Sportsmail can reveal the details of two letters sent to the FA outlining explicit and offensive texts.

These messages came to light after a dawn raid on Moody’s south London home in March this year, as part of Cardiff’s £750,000 investigation into eight controversial transfers.

They engaged London law firm Mishcon de Reya, whose investigators obtained a search order from the High Court to enter Moody’s house in Balham, seizing work computers and phones and taking electronic imagery of evidence.

They were investigating alleged wrongdoing related to one of these transfers.

Around 70,000 text messages and 100,000 emails were allegedly recovered, including the text and email exchanges that form the basis of letters sent to the FA by Mishcon de Reya, on behalf of Cardiff.

Under FA rules, Cardiff are required to report any matters which may constitute ‘aggravated misconduct’.

The letters to the FA make reference to the following alleged offensive communications between Moody, Mackay and others:
    Although Cardiff deny having had anything to do with the exchanges becoming public, the Daily Mail must have had an insider at either the club or FA leaking info.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    To me the most disappointing thing about the EPL this season was the sale by Southampton of half of their promising side and the departure of their manager. Is this how it is to continue to go. The ambition of the medium sized clubs is purely to survive in the EPL and feed the bigger clubs? Southampton had a chance to kick on and perhaps compete for a CL spot or at worst a Europa league position. Instead they decided to sell the crown jewels and once again dwell among the also-rans. Perhaps that's why they sent the reserve side out in the FA Cup quarter final: to preserve their assets. Unless you have the backing of a billionaire, it looks as if there is no hope for the medium sized clubs. The days of Forest and Villa winning leagues and European Cups are well and truly gone if that is to be the attitude.

Now when is that Azerbaijani billionaire going to complete his take-over of the Owls?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    They did have a billionaire owner but he died. His daughter is in charge now and the club seems to be run by a cabale of dodgy spivs and misfits. My recollection is that they had huge debts from their earlier EPL days and some of these sales are a result of previous over exuberance. However, their academy seems very strong and they will always be a selling club. It has always been thus, except that instead of the big buyers being Italy, the biggest buyer now is the EPL - outside of Spain of course. The days of Forest and Villa winning European Cups is long gone anyway. Even Ajax is a non-entity in today's market.

Some criticise FFP as being the cause of this behaviour, but without FFP you get more clubs like Southampton going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think anybody knows how FFP will play out but I think there's a reasonably good chance it will help lower teams out rather than slamming the door shut. It should, at the very least, stop so many clubs from dicing with death, and for the teams who can no longer look forward to being taken over by a benefactor, hopefully it will encourage more innovation on the still massively undervalued commercial side of football.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    MK Dons did well to avoid a cup upset last night.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Can someone explain to me how Man Utd are allowed to spend, potentially, a combined £150m on Rojo, Di Maria and Falcao in the space of a few weeks?

Do the financial fair play rules apply to PSG but not to English clubs?

I'd love to know where the money is coming from because - apart from the new players - there is barely any sell on value in any players at that club apart from Rooney, and that is dwindling fast.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Falcao looks like a loan move, so dial the price of that way back. New sponsorships agreements have also injected a lot of cash in the club in the last few months.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Can someone explain to me how Man Utd are allowed to spend, potentially, a combined £150m on Rojo, Di Maria and Falcao in the space of a few weeks?

Do the financial fair play rules apply to PSG but not to English clubs?

I'd love to know where the money is coming from because - apart from the new players - there is barely any sell on value in any players at that club apart from Rooney, and that is dwindling fast.
    Man City got sanctioned too.

United still can cover the FFP regulations from existing cash flow despite their high debt service costs. This debt was not related to any investment in infrastructure so the servicing counts fully towards their FFP number.

Falcao is indeed a loan move but as a loan move any fee paid to Monaco must be accounted for in one years's accounting period. But, the FFP breakeven assessment is carried out on a 3 year rolling basis, so any affect on the current season's finances can be blended into the previous two seasons or future seasons.

Even if a player cost 50 million (say) the impact on any season's expenditure column is probably only 10million as a player's transfer cost is amortised on a straight line basis over the life of his contract. Wages obviously impact things too, of course.

So Rojo and DiMaria's transfer costs don't hit the bottom line immediately, and the annual impact can be offset by past and future' years' results because of the 3 year rolling effect. So, without looking at Man United's accounts my guess is they have enough of a cushion from the last two years, plus they can take a bit of time to offload high wage costs and sell players.

Remember also that their commercial income is rising.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 01/09/2014 at 10:45 AM.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Falcao's going to cost £6 million for the season, presumably his wages...

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    There are reports that the first year of Falcao's deal is a loan expressly because of FFP, and a much larger long term deal has been agreed to make him an official Manchester United player in 2015.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, £51 million !!!

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    So almost £60m all-in when you factor in agent payments, etc. His wages alone will be £10m a year.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 01/09/2014 at 3:43 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    This year is a bargain then...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast