Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rugby 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Bid for 2023 being unveiled on Friday. Yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30333843
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    That'd be excellent. 13 stadiums being used for the 2015 World Cup in England (and Wales). Is there 13 grounds here capable of holding a major event? I know there's plenty with the capacity, but how many with the amount of facilities required?

1. Lansdowne
    2. Thomond
    3. Croker
    4. Ravenhill

After that, you're relying on the GAA as Musgrave Park surely wouldn't be big enough?

Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Fitzgerald Stadium, Pearse Stadium, McHale Park, Casement Park, Nowlan Park, Breffni Park, Healy Park? Few of those would need major upgrades too before anything.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Musgrave Park would be big enough for some of the smaller games - it'll be around 11,000 from next year I think. It's a pity there's no LOI ground that would be suitable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Musgrave Park would be big enough for some of the smaller games - it'll be around 11,000 from next year I think. It's a pity there's no LOI ground that would be suitable.
    Dalymount will be perfect after it gets the John Delaney makeover.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I've just heard John Delaney is to sing at the opening ceremony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Don't compare it to England 2015. Compare it to NZ 2011. We have a bud that will be almost better in every way AND no earthquakes.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    After that, you're relying on the GAA as Musgrave Park surely wouldn't be big enough?
    The RDS is another. The GAA are desperate for games to fill all their white elephants around the country, especially if it gives them leverage to suck up more of the available grants.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    As Nigel pointed out, you at least 12-14 stadiums to host an event of this size and I can't possibly see any chance of Ireland winning the bid with the likes of US/Canada and Argentina perhaps the opposition to Ireland, who already have stadiums. If you're on the panel that chooses the winning bid and you see all the GAA grounds that may be selected, they aren't exactly stadia that are suited to hosting a major event. Most GAA grounds do not have full covered stands and have a lot standing terraces also the fact that Dublin could have 3 or 4 grounds in the bid would also be off putting as you want different areas to be involved. If the Ireland bid were to build 3 or 4 new stadiums that were not in Dublin like say in Galway, Tipperary, Meath or Kerry , I think they may have a better chance but as of now, absolutely no chance for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    As Nigel pointed out, you at least 12-14 stadiums to host an event of this size and I can't possibly see any chance of Ireland winning the bid with the likes of US/Canada and Argentina perhaps the opposition to Ireland, who already have stadiums. If you're on the panel that chooses the winning bid and you see all the GAA grounds that may be selected, they aren't exactly stadia that are suited to hosting a major event. Most GAA grounds do not have full covered stands and have a lot standing terraces also the fact that Dublin could have 3 or 4 grounds in the bid would also be off putting as you want different areas to be involved. If the Ireland bid were to build 3 or 4 new stadiums that were not in Dublin like say in Galway, Tipperary, Meath or Kerry , I think they may have a better chance but as of now, absolutely no chance for me.
    The main opposition seems to be Italy and South Africa who have both bid before in the last few tournaments and failed.
    Argentina can't sell out home games in the Rugby Championship, USA / Canada would be a hard one to sell to the traditional rugby playing countries.
    Comparing the GAA stadia to what was a hugely successful tournament in NZ in 2011 then we could host this tournament tomorrow. The corporate facilities are not great at some of them but they will be top class in a redeveloped Pairc Ui Chaoimh , the redeveloped Casement as well as Croke Park / Aviva.

I reckon it will pan out something like this.
    Final / Semi Finals - Croke Park
    3rd place game in Aviva
    1 QF in Aviva , 1 in Croker , 1 in Casement Park 1 in Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Then you need between 10-12 stadia for the group stages. Ravenhill / Thomond Pk / RDS could be used for some of the lesser games. Then by listening to them today I reckon they will try to give 2 or 3 games to a few stadia and try and give a good geographical spread.

Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney is a obvious choice with all the hotel beds there.
    Pearce Stadium Galway is another / maybe Castlebar could be a venue - big stadium but not a big place.
    I'd be surprised if Nowlan Pk in Kilkenny didn't get a few games - regular concert venue.
    They will need to go to another city in the North so I reckon Celtic Park in Derry could be a venue - that would need some work perhaps some temporary stands. Gaelic Grounds in Limerick might get a game or two along with Thomond.

Thats 12 venues - most in cities / towns well able to host such an event.
    Dublin - 3 venues
    Belfast - 2 venues
    Limerick 2
    1 each for Cork, Killarney, Kilkenny, Galway, Derry and Mayo.

Other possibilities include Thurles / Clones - but not many hotel rooms there.

We would be eminently capable of hosting this - but it would be tough to beat SA / Italy in any bid, might have to contest a few bids before we win one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Great idea this. The one thing that annoys me though is the attempt to use two venues in one city. 2 for Dublin and 2 for Belfast (casement & Ravenhill).
    Then the west of the island is getting the benefit of this, Cork, Killarney, limerick % Galway.
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    With the 2019 tournament in Japan it will definitely be in a traditional power so the USA will have to wait until 2027.

2023 going to Ireland or Italy is made harder as it will be a 3rd tournament in a row for the N Hemisphere.

We should be able to start the politicking early enough though and try and get the votes in for 2023 in exchange for support for 2027. Expect the Welsh to get their spoke in as always.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    This is a big weekend for all 4 sides this weekend in the European competitions - i think only 2 will continued to have any chance of qualifying after this weekend for the quarter finals .......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    This is a big weekend for all 4 sides this weekend in the European competitions - i think only 2 will continued to have any chance of qualifying after this weekend for the quarter finals .......
    Actually only one now after seeing the team news ...... but hope i'm wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Well bravo Connacht - great win in France after so many changes - still in the race to make the last eight of the Challenge Cup ..... They only loss 3 matches this year so far - its unreal ....and Leinster are leading by one with 3 minutes to go - they have to win to stayed in the race

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Leinster win as well so they still in it - bravo. But fair play Connacht - its brilliant!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Heartstopping finish to the Leinster match, stupid punch up at the end, but great to see both Irish sides win today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    And Munster still in it as well - never bet against these men but they have to win away in Round 5 and stop Saracens getting a losing bonus point. - Back to the Pro 12 for 3 huge games!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12