Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League 2014/5

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Apparently there was a fascist banner or two in Dortmund at one point as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Don't support Israel, so not especially in favour. But as long as they're not overtly offensive (eg.no swastikas, fascist crosses) have no problem with flags in general being waved unlike the cretins in UEFA...
    But what you deem "overtly offensive" won't be the same as what flag-wavers of other particular flags might deem "overtly offensive", so how do you discriminate? I suspect many waving various questionable flags and such will generally display those symbols because they feel they are representative of something they feel is right and good, rather than because they are villains who are malevolent to the core and intentionally and gratuitously hellbent on causing offence to innocent victims simply for its own sake. Some people might consider the Palestinian flag "overtly offensive", but I imagine you would strongly deny the flag's offending potential and would disapprove of any suspicion directed towards those seen waving such flags of seeking to cause offence. How then would you determine exactly what should and shouldn't be permitted? If you reject any supposed right of supporters to wave Israeli flags, but strongly approve of a supposed right to wave Palestinian flags, aren't you guilty of the same double standards of which you accuse UEFA in reverse?

Anyway if clubs whose fans wave Israel flags, get fined, will be surprised.
    But do we know that UEFA haven't been fining clubs for their fans displaying Israeli flags? Maybe they have, for all we know...

Except it's about the principle to protest, within reason.
    Where do you draw the line of "reason"?

And UEFA levying unreasonable fines, never mind the club. Depending on what they get fined for, Dortmund too should refuse to pay.
    But they'll incur further punishment (possible disqualification) if they refuse to comply, so in what position are they to refuse to pay when they seek to continue participating in UEFA competition? Celtic were fined for fans waving Palestine flags; would you urge Celtic's disputing of that fine to the point of disqualification? Are you disappointed that they haven't refused to pay and, if you are, then why did you welcome Celtic's reinstatement back into the Champions League (a UEFA competition) at Legia's expense, especially if you have absolutely no time for UEFA's double standards?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I could have sworn we had a thread about this issue somewhere....
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I could have sworn we had a thread about this issue somewhere....
    Aye, where'd that go?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    We really should set up CL/Europa flag bingo
    I saw a Palestinian flag at the Bayern game yesterday. House

7. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Spurs v Partizan should be good craic in the flag stakes.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    But what you deem "overtly offensive" won't be the same as what flag-wavers of other particular flags might deem "overtly offensive", so how do you discriminate? I suspect many waving various questionable flags and such will generally display those symbols because they feel they are representative of something they feel is right and good, rather than because they are villains who are malevolent to the core and intentionally and gratuitously hellbent on causing offence to innocent victims simply for its own sake. Some people might consider the Palestinian flag "overtly offensive", but I imagine you would strongly deny the flag's offending potential and would disapprove of any suspicion directed towards those seen waving such flags of seeking to cause offence. How then would you determine exactly what should and shouldn't be permitted? If you reject any supposed right of supporters to wave Israeli flags, but strongly approve of a supposed right to wave Palestinian flags, aren't you guilty of the same double standards of which you accuse UEFA in reverse?

But do we know that UEFA haven't been fining clubs for their fans displaying Israeli flags? Maybe they have, for all we know...

Where do you draw the line of "reason"?

But they'll incur further punishment (possible disqualification) if they refuse to comply, so in what position are they to refuse to pay when they seek to continue participating in UEFA competition? Celtic were fined for fans waving Palestine flags; would you urge Celtic's disputing of that fine to the point of disqualification? Are you disappointed that they haven't refused to pay and, if you are, then why did you welcome Celtic's reinstatement back into the Champions League (a UEFA competition) at Legia's expense, especially if you have absolutely no time for UEFA's double standards?
    These points have already been answered elsewhere.

Not sure what all the self-righteousness is about btw? UEFA are and will continue to be fallible, hypocritical and two-faced about this.
    If you really don't get that...I give up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I do get that. I've repeatedly acknowledged UEFA's weaknesses; they've never been under dispute. Most posters in the Dundalk/Palestine flags/UEFA fine thread were critical of UEFA's position and the ambiguity or potential inconsistency in the application of some of their regulations. I was just trying to get clarification on your own position as it seemed untenable and contradictory in very significant places. I'm not sure you did answer all of the above questions though. If you could shed some further light on them, it'd be helpful. Was any explanation ever given for your welcoming stance on Celtic's participation in UEFA competition this season when you expect Dundalk to have risked disqualification for the sake of a vague principle that has absolutely nothing to do with them? Why don't you apply the same principle to Celtic's situation? If you've answered that, I've missed it and would need you to direct me to it. I'm not trying to be self-righteous; it's just the expectation that I can't at all fathom, especially given Dundalk's very modest financial position. I'm not testing your position against my moral standard; I'm testing it against the standard or principle you yourself have set. Sure when would I ever be self-righteous anyway?!

Why was the whole thread moved to the rubbish bin, by the way?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Don't ask...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Spurs v Partizan should be good craic in the flag stakes.
    Indeed, Partizan are being investigated following the display of an anti-Semitic banner:

More on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29283118

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If that wasn't racist it would actually be a cool banner.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Apparantly Partizan have Jewish links themselves, though can't currently find the link I saw on Fbk.earlier...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Apparantly Partizan have Jewish links themselves, though can't currently find the link I saw on Fbk.earlier...
    Well Avram Grant was briefly their coach so they might be a bit less bigoted than other clubs in the area, but I don't think they have any real Jewish connections. Which is just as well for the Jews.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    No, apparantly it was something stronger, but can't be bothered to trawl through Facebook feed to find it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    This is the day geysir's reputation soars like steam-propelled water or comes crashing back to earth like the same steam-propelled water moments later. I can't think of the word right now.

Either way, sounds like a great atmosphere in Basel. I expect Basel to win and take control of the group now that Ludogorets are leading Real.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    This is the day geysir's reputation soars like steam-propelled water or comes crashing back to earth like the same steam-propelled water moments later. I can't think of the word right now.

Either way, sounds like a great atmosphere in Basel. I expect Basel to win and take control of the group now that Ludogorets are leading Real.
    I don't know Charlie, anyone that knows anything about football, who has observed european competition football over the past few seasons,could have predicted a win for minnows Basel against the billion dollar brand, team Liverpool. This result completes the double for Basel who comprehensively beat the liverpool youth team last night.
    It was a so so game tonight but the locals won't care a jot about that, though Basel did manage some good ball retention in the last 1/4 of the game, with a couple of phases of 30 -40 passes. How we would celebrate a phase of 10 passes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I don't know Charlie, anyone that knows anything about football, who has observed european competition football over the past few seasons,could have predicted a win for minnows Basel against the billion dollar brand, team Liverpool. This result completes the double for Basel who comprehensively beat the liverpool youth team last night.
    It was a so so game tonight but the locals won't care a jot about that, though Basel did manage some good ball retention in the last 1/4 of the game, with a couple of phases of 30 -40 passes. How we would celebrate a phase of 10 passes.
    Youth game was this afternoon, wasn't it?

Basel have now won their last four meetings with English top-four opposition. And yet people will still say it's a result of a bad performance from Liverpool. After Switzerland dominated England and lost due to their own poor mistakes.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    RTE are just so embedded in the cause of the epl teams that they lose objectivity and balanced analysis in the pre/post game chat. Then again, that's their stock and trade.
    Basel out-passed, out-possesed and outplayed a bedraggled Liverpool who just have no excuse for not having their pecker up, for a big CL league game in a competition that they put so much energy and placed so much importance, getting into.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Without Suarez to bang in the goals at will, Liverpool look distinctly more ordinary. All it needs is for Balotelli to do something stupid in a game and the wolves will be circling Rodgers.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Two good last posts on the matter (sorry, Fly!), a few games to go mind. BrendRod safe for a few more weeks I reckon.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast