Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuart Taylor and Lims part ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Where are you going to get a spine of a team from? Leahy was Russell's captain at UCD. Reckon him, Turner, Oji, Folan and Williams has the makings of a decent defence. Gaffney is a terrific talent who could do much the same job Kilduff did at UCD. In Duggan and Tracy you have a couple of very good midfielders.
    Leahy just tonight played his first twenty minutes for us since signing.

Robbie Williams has less interest in Limerick than you do.

Gaffney at the moment is no more a Ciaran Kilduff than he is a Packie Bonner.

And Shane Tracy is crocked.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Doing that at UCD with the likes of Corry and Finn on scholarships is a lot different then doing it at any other club. Our young players are crap.
    A lot of the players at UCD wouldn't be the highest-rated either but he got them playing good football (as has Callaghan too from what I've seen). The principle is the same I think - empower decent young players with some confidence and they'll exceed your expectations. There are a lot of very good young players in Cork looking for an outlet and the right manager could tempt them over. The Cork squad at the moment looks a bit oversized so there's going to be a few lads thinking they need to move on to get a chance. Do Limerick have any links with the IT there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    A lot of the players at UCD wouldn't be the highest-rated either but he got them playing good football (as has Callaghan too from what I've seen). The principle is the same I think - empower decent young players with some confidence and they'll exceed your expectations. There are a lot of very good young players in Cork looking for an outlet and the right manager could tempt them over. The Cork squad at the moment looks a bit oversized so there's going to be a few lads thinking they need to move on to get a chance. Do Limerick have any links with the IT there?

Going by Turners first two games they can keep em. They had something with UL but im not sure if it is still there. My problem is why bother sacking Taylor for having us mid table to go get Russell to have us mid table.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Going by Turners first two games they can keep em. They had something with UL but im not sure if it is still there. My problem is why bother sacking Taylor for having us mid table to go get Russell to have us mid table.
    Surely Taylor was sacked because, in spite of three recent victories, you were perilously close to a relegation battle?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Surely Taylor was sacked because, in spite of three recent victories, you were perilously close to a relegation battle?
    I don't think we will be any further away with Russell tbh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Based on what, though? Limerick have a better squad than any Russell was ever involved in with UCD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Based on what, though? Limerick have a better squad than any Russell was ever involved in with UCD.
    I honestly would not agree with that. From reading what you said about the spine we could have you are overestimating us tbh. There is no reason other than he is cheap that we are getting Russell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Taylor was sacked because he spunked a pretty hefty budget on rubbish and our crowds have fallen to zombie apocalypse levels.

Solution?? Hire a nobody whos never had to work with a budget before.

I hope im wrong but I dont really see the logic. Maybe its cos its late and we got walked on by Athlone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I honestly would not agree with that. From reading what you said about the spine we could have you are overestimating us tbh. There is no reason other than he is cheap that we are getting Russell.
    I doubt it will be cheap to get him to commute three hours a day from Dublin or else move his family to Limerick (I suspect the latter). If Lims have got him, it's because the people in charge know what they're doing and they're looking to build something over the next couple of years rather than, as LITD says, spunking a heft budget on English journeymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Taylor was sacked because he spunked a pretty hefty budget on rubbish and our crowds have fallen to zombie apocalypse levels.

Solution?? Hire a nobody whos never had to work with a budget before.

I hope im wrong but I dont really see the logic. Maybe its cos its late and we got walked on by Athlone.
    I don't mean this in a condescending way because I think Lims are a terrific club run by people who know how to run a football club and are looking to build something long-term and sustainable, but are you really in a position to be calling a proven Premier Division manager a "nobody"? Rovers were, by all accounts, seriously looking at him for the B team this year but went for Hawkins because he was already doing well within the existing structure, and Liam Buckley went out of his way to recruit him for the league champions. I would have loved to see what he could do with the First Division team and think we missed a trick.

10. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I don't know much about Russell really although his son has just left us, always seemed to be trying to play football but you can do that at UCD and you won't be getting any stick if you're losing. In terms of players signing, LTID you're even more cynical than I usually, the manager is probably third on the players' list at best behind "what's the pay?" and "where do I have to train during the week?". The former is usually most important in the First.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I doubt it will be cheap to get him to commute three hours a day from Dublin or else move his family to Limerick (I suspect the latter). If Lims have got him, it's because the people in charge know what they're doing and they're looking to build something over the next couple of years rather than, as LITD says, spunking a heft budget on English journeymen.

I don't mean this in a condescending way because I think Lims are a terrific club run by people who know how to run a football club and are looking to build something long-term and sustainable, but are you really in a position to be calling a proven Premier Division manager a "nobody"? Rovers were, by all accounts, seriously looking at him for the B team this year but went for Hawkins because he was already doing well within the existing structure, and Liam Buckley went out of his way to recruit him for the league champions. I would have loved to see what he could do with the First Division team and think we missed a trick.
    Well if that doesnt fill us with confidence haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Youre patronising Limerick because you know nothing about the lie of the land down here.

If it is to be Russell I will support him 100% and hope it turns out to be a fantastic appointment. I am in a position to call him a nobody though because in the eyes.of the "Great Limerick Sporting Public tm" he is a nobody.

With the outlay Pat O'Sullivan has we should be on the coattails of the top four, not trying to build some kind of vague Cork City feeder club youth farm.

You would have loved to have seen what he did with your B team?? I'd love to see Limerick in Europe.

Theres absolute fortunes being spent on everything besides success. How long is long term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    In terms of players signing, LTID you're even more cynical than I usually, the manager is probably third on the players' list at best behind "what's the pay?" and "where do I have to train during the week?". The former is usually most important in the First.
    I was more thinking those Russell have the contacts to get good things done (i genuinely dont know enough about the man to say whether he does or not)

Im around Limerick long enough to know footballers are whores, jaysus theyd play for Pat Dolan if the money was right

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Youre patronising Limerick because you know nothing about the lie of the land down here.

If it is to be Russell I will support him 100% and hope it turns out to be a fantastic appointment. I am in a position to call him a nobody though because in the eyes.of the "Great Limerick Sporting Public tm" he is a nobody.

With the outlay Pat O'Sullivan has we should be on the coattails of the top four, not trying to build some kind of vague Cork City feeder club youth farm.

You would have loved to have seen what he did with your B team?? I'd love to see Limerick in Europe.

Theres absolute fortunes being spent on everything besides success. How long is long term.
    As long as it has to be. Those plans are going to set the club up for a very long time if they're done right. I'd rather a few midtable finishes and those "everythings"
    proceeding as planned than a financially dangerous tilt at getting a few Euro fixtures.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    As long as it has to be. Those plans are going to set the club up for a very long time if they're done right. I'd rather a few midtable finishes and those "everythings"
    proceeding as planned than a financially dangerous tilt at getting a few Euro fixtures.
    Which "everythings" do you think I was referring to??

And how long do you think P O'S is going to be around to **** millions up against our not particularly pretty wall??

By your logic why bother putting anythin into the first team. Lets just sign the Oscar Traynor and bobble around the middle of the first.division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Team stays in around where it is now then crowds stay where they are now and these long term things dont happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Just heard more from my sauces.

Everything is alright with the world.

ALL HAIL KING MARTIN!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well if that doesnt fill us with confidence haha.
    Haha, well that's not the spirit I meant it in. I meant that I really rate him as a coach and, as the mentality within Rovers with the B team at the moment is to build a system where we can promote from within, the B team is as much an audition for coaches to move up to the senior team as much as it is for the players. Hawkins seems to be highly rated within the club. You've also only to look at the league to see how many players who wouldn't have been superstars in schoolboy football but are nonetheless some of the success stories at the top clubs.

Did I not admit that straight off? I might talk an awful lot of crap in here but I don't pretend to know things I don't.

My point about Russell has nothing to do with the opinions of the great unwashed in Limerick and everything to do with what I have observed about him as a coach, both from my own outlook and what I've been told by people who've worked with him.

Your point about being on the coattails of the top four is, frankly, unbelievable. You've been a PD team for 15 months and are disconnected from the major population centre in the country. Can you seriously say you have the budget and system to be competing with the major Dublin clubs, Cork, Dundalk, Sligo and Derry? Not a chance. Mid-table is a pretty good position for Limerick to be in right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Haha, well that's not the spirit I meant it in. I meant that I really rate him as a coach and, as the mentality within Rovers with the B team at the moment is to build a system where we can promote from within, the B team is as much an audition for coaches to move up to the senior team as much as it is for the players. Hawkins seems to be highly rated within the club. You've also only to look at the league to see how many players who wouldn't have been superstars in schoolboy football but are nonetheless some of the success stories at the top clubs.

Did I not admit that straight off? I might talk an awful lot of crap in here but I don't pretend to know things I don't.

My point about Russell has nothing to do with the opinions of the great unwashed in Limerick and everything to do with what I have observed about him as a coach, both from my own outlook and what I've been told by people who've worked with him.

Your point about being on the coattails of the top four is, frankly, unbelievable. You've been a PD team for 15 months and are disconnected from the major population centre in the country. Can you seriously say you have the budget and system to be competing with the major Dublin clubs, Cork, Dundalk, Sligo and Derry? Not a chance. Mid-table is a pretty good position for Limerick to be in right now.

Our budget not much different to those 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Our budget not much different to those 3.
    Cork and Derry have bags of young talent based in the city and Dundalk are up the road from Dublin. The same budget won't go as far in Limerick, hence why you've been bringing in folks from the UK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast