Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Abroad 2014/2015

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eitoof View Post
    Hard to see Dawson being empoyed again too readily after the match fixing allegations.
    http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/...fixing-scandal

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...awson-new-deal

It appeared a month after the scandal that Barnsley had offered Dawson a new contract amid interest from other sides. Not sure what the current status is.

I'd be more worried about Graham Cummins' prospects in England.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 28/07/2014 at 1:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Kyle McFadden facing a fitness test ahead of friendly against Nice tonight: http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich..._out_1_3703479

<EDIT>

passed the test and on the bench alongside Pilkington, Hoolahan starts: https://twitter.com/NorwichCityFC/st...23480073576449

<EDIT(again)>

Came on to make his debut late in the second half: http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/artic...t-1788752.aspx
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 28/07/2014 at 10:20 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Just read about that Robertson chap signing for Hull and stumbled across a piece about a signing made by Dundee United during the summer- former Ireland under 21 player Callum Morris.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27893153

Morris went off the radar after being released by Newcastle (being released/rejected by non-league sides and signing for the Glenn Hoddle academy) but rebuilt his career in a big way over the past two seasons at Dunfermline Athletic and he's done enough to impress Jack McNamara.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Just read about that Robertson chap signing for Hull and stumbled across a piece about a signing made by Dundee United during the summer- former Ireland under 21 player Callum Morris.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27893153

Morris went off the radar after being released by Newcastle (being released/rejected by non-league sides and signing for the Glenn Hoddle academy) but rebuilt his career in a big way over the past two seasons at Dunfermline Athletic and he's done enough to impress Jack McNamara.
    also, changed his allegiance to Northern Ireland about two years ago: http://www.dafc.co.uk/articles/20120...207955_2902293
    Although born in Birkenhead, Callum represented the Republic of Ireland at U19 and U21 level but any future representative honours will be for Northern Ireland. He explained:-
    "My mother is from Liverpool and all her family are from Waterford, my father and his family are from Belfast in Northern Ireland so I got to choose which to play for. I went for the Republic but it turned out when I left Newcastle I was left out of the Republic squad and when Northern Ireland showed an interest I was happy to opt to play for them. That was probably eight or nine months ago but the international clearance only came through a month ago. If I play well you never know. It would be a bonus to play at international level again."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Beggars. Sure they'd hardly go around trying to poach current Ireland internationals, would they? No, that would be hypocritical

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    also, changed his allegiance to Northern Ireland about two years ago: http://www.dafc.co.uk/articles/20120...207955_2902293
    Fair play, well spotted. That's one that went under my radar in terms of switches from FAI to IFA. He's actually jumped from League One to SPL with that move. He didn't mind stating that Ireland left him out when he left Newcastle. If he does get a call-up for the North it'll be on the back of this move.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Jeff Hendrick and Harry Arter on the scoresheet for Derby and Bournemouth in their friendlies tonight.

edit: Alan Browne now for Preston
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 29/07/2014 at 7:58 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    A bit of Irish interest in this game, Deegan and Cregg on trial for Southend plus McGoldrick's return for Ipswich.

http://www.southend.vitalfootball.co...e.asp?a=364889

Brighton supposedly interested in Joe Mason.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11374751._/
    Last edited by gastric; 30/07/2014 at 9:28 AM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Signs on at Notts County till '16

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28545791

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Spare a thought for poor Liam McAlinden, Alex Bruce, Alex Pearce, Adam Barton, Johnny Gorman, Callum Morris, Carl Magnay and Alan Kernaghan. They don't know whether they are Irish, Northern Irish, Scottish or English. Though their existential crisis about dual-identity invariably comes in handy when they don't get a call up for their first and/or second choice countries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Signs on at Notts County till '16

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28545791
    I love how you left out his name to keep us guessing. All links should be prefaced this way from now on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Eoghan Stokes scored tonight for Leeds in their pre-season match against Glenavon & Simon Cox scored for Forest
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 30/07/2014 at 8:50 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Is Stokes in line to b involved this season with Leeds? Have never seen him much with Irish youth sides. Is he an under 19 this season?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I love how you left out his name to keep us guessing. All links should be prefaced this way from now on.
    If you read the 'anything on your mind' thread, you would see that such behaviour is one of Tets' great hates , and I for one, would never cross the great man. Unless we all agree to annoy him... there's an idea.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Now that Tets is a canonised moderator of the international section I expect standards to be markedly different to the old laissez faire era. Paul and TOWK be warned
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 31/07/2014 at 9:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    If you read the 'anything on your mind' thread, you would see that such behaviour is one of Tets' great hates , and I for one, would never cross the great man. Unless we all agree to annoy him... there's an idea.
    it is, if there's anything I hate, it's omitting some form of narrative with a link

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Now that Tets is a canonised moderator of the international section I expect standards to be markedly different to the old laissez faire era. Paul and TOWK be warmed
    nope, not yet. at least, not that I'm aware of.
    In any case, I'm pretty busy at the moment so I'd have to defer any such promotion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Spare a thought for poor Liam McAlinden, Alex Bruce, Alex Pearce, Adam Barton, Johnny Gorman, Callum Morris, Carl Magnay and Alan Kernaghan. They don't know whether they are Irish, Northern Irish, Scottish or English. Though their existential crisis about dual-identity invariably comes in handy when they don't get a call up for their first and/or second choice countries.
    Haha, very austere... You really do reserve an enormous amount of judgment, antipathy and disdain for people you don't even remotely know. Why the need to frame a legitimate dual or multiple identity - something you've consistently demonstrated, throughout the Jack Grealish thread and elsewhere on here, that you're unable to even begin comprehending - as an "existential crisis"? Not that I have any particular affinity (or gripe) with any of those decidedly soft targets you've casually lumped together to be the beneficiaries of some sarcastic concern, but maybe some of them genuinely do identify with multiple identities? Is it really your place to judge? To use Callum Morris as an example, he was born in England, his Liverpool mother's family are from Waterford and his father is from Belfast; if he wants to identify with multiples identities, really, who are you to tell him he's having an "existential crisis"?...

Either way, none of those players have ever compelled any manager or association to select them. In fact, it was Jack Charlton who went after Belfast-raised international careerist Kernaghan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Kernaghan
    I had no problems pulling on the Republic shirt. I was simply furthering my career. There was always a lingering tension on the periphery. Some Republic of Ireland fans and journalists didn't like it. I dealt with it as I deal with it now - it didn't matter to me.
    Kernaghan had first become aware of Charlton's interest through his Middlesbrough team-mate at the time, Curtis Fleming.

I think your problem is with how the general system works and possibly with how we operate within the existing legislative framework. If so, your dissatisfaction might be better directed towards FAI selectors and FIFA legislators rather than towards dual or multiple national footballers trying to make a living and represent the country of their ancestors. I'm not going to delude myself into thinking pretenders and mercenaries don't and won't exist, but it's clearly the system that legitimises the potential conduct of such candidates that is your fundamental problem.

On a slightly related note, would you ridicule, say, James McClean or Shane Duffy in such a derisive manner for having played for more than one association? Or Niall McGinn for having chosen to play for NI, primarily to aid the progression of his career, despite supporting us?

Edit: Just to add, I'm not necessarily saying that having an admitted careerist or mercenary like Kernaghan coming in is ideal as I'd like to think our players are primarily playing for the shirt due to some held affinity with the nation, but it's up to the management to weed out or dismiss potential chancers or players who they feel will lack the requisite level of commitment. (Perhaps, the ignoring of Jermaine Pennant is a good example of the management at the time deciding that entertaining a particular eligible player wouldn't really sit right.) Not that Kernaghan necessarily ever let us down when called upon either. And, in claiming his Irish passport, he was, or at least became, undeniably Irish, after all, whether or not adherents to a strictly-ethnic and romantic form of Irish nationalism can swallow the idea that an Ulster Protestant from a unionist background might possibly be or become an Irish citizen too, and despite where his original allegiance may have lay.
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 01/08/2014 at 9:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Michael Timlin out for three months with a dislocated elbow received in a behind closed doors game against Spurs: http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news...s-1763611.aspx

Gary Deegan and Patrick Cregg played for Southend on trial against QPR earlier this week: http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news...t-1794018.aspx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Finnish U21 Daniel O'Shaughnessy who's eligible for us has signed a 2 year deal at Brentford
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Finnish U21 Daniel O'Shaughnessy who's eligible for us has signed a 2 year deal at Brentford
    His brother Patrick, also a Finnish youth international now playing with PK-35 Vantaa in the Finnish second tier, has already stated he'd rather play for Ireland than Finland: http://theemeraldexiles.com/2013/11/...essy-brothers/

Quote Originally Posted by The Emerald Exiles
    Last year, Patrick who has Europa League experience with his club MyPa, told The Irish Sun that he wanted to represent Ireland ahead of Finland.

“I feel more Irish than Finnish. I think maybe it has to do with my personality and it would make my father very proud if I played for Ireland.

“I have never had any contact from the FAI but I would prefer to play for Ireland if possible.”

“I did actually play for Finland against Ireland at Under-17 level, which was weird because I knew both national anthems when they were played before the game,” he continued.

Republic of Ireland Under 21 manager Noel King has been alerted to the O’Shaughnessy’s availability and has contacted the family to say they are being monitored. That was in September 2012 however, and as of November 2013, the two remain key members of Finland’s set-up.
    I wonder does Daniel feel the same way.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast