Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pete Mahon for the Drogs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Wonder will he be as successful as the last ex-Linfield boss to come to a Louth club!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I'm far from a DJ fan but when he took over Linfield we where nearly bankrupt. He had to improve the team and drastically cut costs. He done that and was successful and we didn't have any money until ni drew England in the qualifiers. That was the start of the money.

His brand of football is woeful to say the least though and he thinks tactics are tictacs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Wow. That would be a fantastic appointment. Says a lot about the direction of the Irish League if he's happier to manage Drogs than Linfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Wonder will he be as successful as the last ex-Linfield boss to come to a Louth club!
    Dammit, I was jumping on this thread to say I hoped he'd be as successful as Trev** Anders** at Dundalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    The club held an EGM last night; the Board had invited the potential investor (who promised to reappoint Cooke to the manager's role) to attend to discuss his plans and business proposals for the club with the members. Unsurprisingly, it turns out he was full of nonsense - he failed to submit any business plans and didn't even bother to show up. So the whole Cooke thing can finally be laid to rest and the club can move on.

It was confirmed that Jeffrey is in the running for the job but it's far from a done deal and there are several other candidates still under consideration.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Wow. That would be a fantastic appointment. Says a lot about the direction of the Irish League if he's happier to manage Drogs than Linfield.
    Eh? He officially resigned but in reality he was told his time was up. Linfield let him resign as a way of respect for what he had done for the club.

So please don't try and make this out as some sort of indication of how far Linfield/IL football has fallen away, it isn't and if anything the co-efficients of Europe shows the leagues are closing together with us improving and you lot getting worse.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    So please don't try and make this out as some sort of indication of how far Linfield/IL football has fallen away, it isn't and if anything the co-efficients of Europe shows the leagues are closing together with us improving and you lot getting worse.
    This closing together of the leagues wouldn't be some sort of advocation for an All Ireland League?!

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Eh? He officially resigned but in reality he was told his time was up. Linfield let him resign as a way of respect for what he had done for the club.

No no no, not having this at all. I think the IL is one of the poorest premier leagues in Europe. Linfield advanced v a Faroese side (2-1) and couldn't beat them at home. I was in Windsor in 2011 when Dundalk played Linfield , we won 5-3 and we finished a very deserved 6th that season.

The results from the IL clubs that took part in the Setanta this year was appalling. I'm really not sure Cliftonville or Linfield would have made it past the first round.

I'd consider IL clubs from 4th or 5th down to be LOI FD standard, and that's not great. Attendances back it up with most just under 1k. Granted we have poor crowds too at some clubs.

Linfield are possibly top 5 LOI, but from what I've seen last 3 years they are well behind Derry.

As for Davy, decent guy I like him, but lets see his next job.

Steve. Nothing personal.
    Last edited by oriel; 12/07/2014 at 11:41 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Your entitled to your opinion but if you think having the 2 best teams in the IL missing from the setanta wouldn't have made a difference your dillusional. Also the Crues where champions of Ireland the year before.

I wasn't for 1 second saying that il football was on par with loi, it isn't but the gap is closing and that's reflected in the Co efficients.

Also don't worry about me taking it personal mate. I'm not that soft lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    In hindsight I would agree if Linfield and Cliftonville had taken part, they would of course have represented the IL much better, and fair point on Crusaders winning it previously.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Your entitled to your opinion but if you think having the 2 best teams in the IL missing from the setanta wouldn't have made a difference your dillusional.
    Of course he didn't say that (but then you already knew that!)

Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I'm really not sure Cliftonville or Linfield would have made it past the first round.
    Obviously both of those teams are stronger then the ones who replaced them, but Oriel's comment is reasonable.

Perhaps the gap is closing between the the two leagues but it remains a wide chasm at the moment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Didn't realise it was a "mutual" resignation.

I thought it was more him saying he'd taken you as far as he could.

Drogheda wouldn't be a particularly attractive job but I guess geographically it would work for him.

It's good to see some sort of shake-up taking place over the last few weeks with the NIFL proposals but that was much needed for the Irish League as far as I could see.

Shocking as it may sound the LoI seems to be run much better.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Jeffrey to take charge of Drogheda

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-30428180.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Didn't realise it was a "mutual" resignation.
    That's the nice way to put it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Shocking as it may sound the LoI seems to be run much better.
    I would contend that point. The main difference between the two leagues is the LOI's ability to offer full time training, though that has been at major cost to many LOI clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Wouldn't mind a few of the IL grounds and if there is a gap on the field one way there is a gap on infrastructure the other! I think DJ is a risky appointment as what Drogheda needs is stability and consolidation for now and that would be a Pete Mahon type remit. But then my opinion could based on our experience of a 'successful' manager tipping down from Belfast...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    On Monday we'll unveil Damien Richardson as manager. Darius as number two. Good appointments in my opinion.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    On Monday we'll unveil Damien Richardson as manager. Darius as number two. Good appointments in my opinion.
    Acer, do you think this is a short term appointment until the end of the season in the hope Darius goes for his badges in the off season and takes over full time?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Drogheda programme sales will go through the roof anyway

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    heartbreaking!