Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Elliott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts

Stephen Elliott

City chief, Kevin Keegan has revealed that leaving striker, Stephen Elliott off the bench for the derby was one of his toughest decisions for the match.The twenty-year-old broke through into the senior squad for the Premiership clash at Anfield in mid February when he was an unused substitute.
    The Republic of Ireland U21 international was again on the bench for the FA Cup defeat at Old Trafford before making his debut in the closing minutes in the win at the Reebok.
    The return to fitness of Paulo Wanchope then edged the former Academy player out of the picture.
    But Kevin Keegan is convinced that the striker, who has scored seven goals in fifteen outings for the second string, is a player for the future.
    "The biggest problem for me on Sunday, one of the biggest problems was leaving young Stephen Elliott off the bench," said Kevin Keegan.
    "He has done really well and scored again in the reserves win on Tuesday night. I got him in before the derby and said that I knew he thought he was going backwards here."
    "That is not the case his training has been exceptional and I really do believe he is one for the future."
    "I had to give Paulo the edge because of the experience he has as an international and he has done it all. So I had to explain that to Stephen."

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good to hear positive news about a young Irish forward. City need 3 wins to be safe I reckon. The sooner they achieve that the sooner we'll see Elliott being given a chance to prove himself. Keegan knows that City have nothing but safety to play for and will experiment for next season given the chance. Hopefully Paddy McCarthy gets a chance too. Was hoping Whelan would be part of that experimentation but that's another discussion thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stephen Elliott

Is it time for Stephen Elliott to be "blooded" in the Senior team? 6 goals from 7 starts for Sunderland isn't a bad return. Better than Connolly and Lee anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed...

Haven't seen that much of him, Sunderland ain't on the telly too much these days - looked like a good proposition in their game against Leeds - set up the winner in that game - seems to be very popular among their supporters too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    He's been withdrawn from the U-21's - see here
    It means the 20-year-old striker will be withdrawn from the Republic of Ireland under-21 squad for their game against France on October 8.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was thinking mre in terms of next year. He's young but would benefit from squad involvement. I was surprised he didn't get a call up for friendlies ahead of the WC campaign. Alan Lee has nothing but his size to justify his place on the pitch. elliot should be ahead of him in the pecking order

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonegalDub
    I was surprised he didn't get a call up for friendlies ahead of the WC campaign.
    Honestly? That would make a mockery of our national team to call up a player who had never played a game at club level.

There's no doubt he'll be called up to next months friendly though. Its only a matter of time before Doc is dropped by Kerr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    firstly it's 5 goals in seven league starts- he may have scored league cup goals- I'm not sure

the doc is in trouble if he's being left on the bench by naaawrich.

elliot to play in the nov friendly without doubt. expecially if he's up to 10 goals by then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

elliot to play in the nov friendly without doubt. expecially if he's up to 10 goals by then
    I've no doubt he will! He made a great move in going to Sunderland, and he's taken his chance with both feet...and head. Think he's a real star of the future by all accounts.

only1kilbane
    yeah as a sunderland fan well happy with his progress. Its a pity for him kevin kyle is injured as he would score a lot more alongside a target man rather than marcus stewart who he is quite similar too. Hopefully he will get a good season under his belt and maybe get a run in a friendly in feb

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anyone who has seen the U-21s this season will have been impressed with the way Kevin Dolye (7 League Goals form 10 games as a stirker plus two against Natntes and NEC) and Elliot (who is pure class) combine.

I'd have the two boys in the squad as strikers ahead of the Doc any day.
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC
    Anyone who has seen the U-21s this season will have been impressed with the way Kevin Dolye (7 League Goals form 10 games as a stirker plus two against Natntes and NEC) and Elliot (who is pure class) combine.

I'd have the two boys in the squad as strikers ahead of the Doc any day.
    Sorry, Doyle plays in the Eircom League and so ability and performances don't really count for anything, he's automatically rubbish and wont prove himself until he moves to the big leagues, like the Scottish third division or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Sorry, Doyle plays in the Eircom League and so ability and performances don't really count for anything, he's automatically rubbish and wont prove himself until he moves to the big leagues, like the Scottish third division or something.
    Suffering a persecution complex are we Slash?

If Doyle's any good, won't it be only a matter of time before an English club comes a-calling? And couldn't the same be said for Hoolahan at Shelbourne?

I'll get me coat...

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    Suffering a persecution complex are we Slash?

If Doyle's any good, won't it be only a matter of time before an English club comes a-calling? And couldn't the same be said for Hoolahan at Shelbourne?

I'll get me coat...

PP
    Donno about Hoolahan but English clubs have come calling for Doyler, a lot of them a good few times. He stayed in Ireland to do his leaving cert and is also tied down to a three year contract at Cork City, luckily for us
    Oh no not them again

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC
    Donno about Hoolahan but English clubs have come calling for Doyler, a lot of them a good few times. He stayed in Ireland to do his leaving cert and is also tied down to a three year contract at Cork City, luckily for us
    Yes, he'll need a good leaving cert, if he's going to stay in Cork, cause there's not much hope of a future in football there.
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This from Sunderland's official website 20/10/04:

"Stephen Elliott was in seventh heaven after making a successful return from injury at Watford last night.

The young Irishman scored his seventh goal of the season in Sunderland's 1-1 draw to nudge ahead of Marcus Stewart in the goalscoring charts.

Elliott, back in business after a groin injury, is now the club's leading scorer and is being tipped to become a full international by boss Mick McCarthy.

The striker said: "I'm happy to get back into the team and to be scoring again. As long as I'm playing and getting goals for Sunderland, then that's all I'm worrying about.

"Of course it's a big ambition of mine to play for my country at senior level and it's flattering to have people saying nice things about you.

"But I still have a lot to learn and at the moment I'm just trying hard in every training session and every game for Sunderland to get better and do the best I can for this club."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    For those who haven't seen Elliott play, Rotherham v Sunderland is on Sky Sports at 8 tonight.

Willo Flood will most likely start the Carling cup game for Man City against Arsenal on Wednesday which is on Sky Sports too. Liverpool play Millwall tomorrow so could get to see Stack, Dunne, Potter, Partridge..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Speaking of Willo Flood, he made an appearence away to Newcastle yesturday, off the bench I think, he came very close to scoring too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Only caught a glimpse but I'm sure it was Willo that lost the ball at the edge of City's box for Newcastle to then score the winner

No big deal I know, all part of the learning process.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Elliott looked very good tonight, not very big but very mobile and good skill.
    Granted this was against a very poor Rotherham side.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast