Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Collins sacked.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    It should be a declared aim of the FAI, IFA and UEFA to normalise the footballing status of Derry City F.C. and return the club to its native association.
    Why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    No that's just none sense and counterproductive no need for two associations on the island

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Why?

Well for starters it would stop the old firm pointing fingers continuously as a precedence when they seek a move to the English system while conveniently ignoring the circumstances of the time at DCFC.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    The Old Firm have plenty precedents without using Derry. Wrexham, Cardiff, Swansea for example.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avvenalaf View Post
    The Old Firm have plenty precedents without using Derry. Wrexham, Cardiff, Swansea for example.
    They were always in the English system so it's not the same. Derry switching associations in the modern era would fit a lot better, although it still wouldn't really be a precedent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    What's the story with Vaduz of Liechtenstein playing in the Swiss league I wonder? Is it similar to Cardiff/Swansea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Vaduz have always been in the Swiss system, as far as I know.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Vaduz have always been in the Swiss system, as far as I know.
    when we played them in the UEFA Cup in 04 they were in the Swiss league back then.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    There is no Liechtenstein league for them to play in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Newport as well and the Toronoto FC, Vancover Whotecaps and Montreal impact in the MLS and Wellington Phoenix in the A league loads of examples

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There is no Liechtenstein league for them to play in.
    Ah right! That explains it! But wait!!! Liechtenstein have a national team! Thought you had to have a league to have a national team?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Granted an exemption I believe, based on the fact that the country can't really support a full league.
    Last edited by osarusan; 29/12/2014 at 1:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Surely they could just have a local league they designate as the top domestic league and have the top teams playing in Switzerland. Like if Dublin was, theoretically, independent, and had Rovers, Bohs, etc in the Irish league but a Dublin-centric LSL as the domestic competition.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Interstingly (maybe) San Marino has a population which is about 4,000 less than Liechtenstein, but does have its own amateur league, which is ranked between the Faroes and Andorra in terms of coefficient.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    It would be a nice turn up if UEFA told them to have their own league, they have half a dozen clubs or so, so why not!

UEFA and FIFA can be tricky in relation to clubs playing in other nations leagues or league systems. The Crimean club situation is a case in point, and when UEFA ruled against them being in the Russian system the Russian FA accepted it - the internet fairly exploded, part with laughter and the other part with outrage.

In 1999 there was an issue with clubs from the Republika Srpska in Bosnia, they wanted to play in the Serbian League but were blocked. Their point was (rightly) the level of violence surrounding fixtures was too much. The Bosnian FA got their act together and it has greatly reduced the tension around matches. If the IFA can do the same for Derry....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Bigger fish in a small(er) pond. Less travel. More regular Derbys v Institute, Coleraine, (Limavady, Ballinamallard?) as Harps seem in no rush to get the North West Derby going regularly. Games v the big belfast trio. Big improvement in the political stuff. An association that may appreciate the involvement of a newish football powerhouse. Novelty factor reinvigourating crowds. Potential to be a dominant force with regular European football. Setanta Cup keeping the few trips South.

There is certainly an argument for defectors defection. Assuming the IFA would have a welcome back for Derry City. A loyalty to the League of Ireland due to admission in '85 is isnt a big enough reason to stick. Newry could come the other way :P and Derry could be a leading club in agitating for an all Ireland league, reform from within the IFA. Possibility of larger govt grants for a club competing within the jurisdiction of the granter. Where's the down side?
    Whole generations of Derry fans, including myself, have only ever know League of Ireland football. For better or worse, it's our home. And if the only really compelling reason for going back is that it'll make the club easier to run, then the club needs to wind it's neck in and get down to actually running things properly.

I would assume a large proportion of Derry fans would be nationalists, so re-joining the league of a country they don't identify/identify less with would be some sight.

And won't somebody please think of James McClean?
    It's not really about nationalism or politics. Plenty of hardcore nationalists would be happy to see Derry play old rivals from the 60s on a regular basis, like the Blues and Glens. Nationalism within a Northern Irish context has never been more secure.

No, the problem is imply that vast swathes of Derry fans associate the club with the Irish League as much as they'd associate the club with the Scottish, Welsh or English leagues.

Personally, I'd be devastated if we left the LOI.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I can understand the sense of belonging to particular organisation or league SvsD. But beyond sentimental attachment there are some solid arguments for returning to the Irish League. I'd be interested to hear a less emotional opinion! After all what is important is the continued development the club, this is based on finances, if competing up North can deliver this or maximise revenue potential well isnt that the way to go. When Dundalk were being overlooked in various plans for LoI some fans rambled on about being better off in the Irish League, if it were possible and would strengthen the club (if not the football) I dont think there would have been a major adverse reaction around Oriel.

It is mainly just debate for debates sake really for me, I have no wish to see Derry change league - Derry is probably my favourite league fixture, home and away. There is a case for examining the options though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I can understand the sense of belonging to particular organisation or league SvsD. But beyond sentimental attachment there are some solid arguments for returning to the Irish League. I'd be interested to hear a less emotional opinion! After all what is important is the continued development the club, this is based on finances, if competing up North can deliver this or maximise revenue potential well isnt that the way to go. When Dundalk were being overlooked in various plans for LoI some fans rambled on about being better off in the Irish League, if it were possible and would strengthen the club (if not the football) I dont think there would have been a major adverse reaction around Oriel.

It is mainly just debate for debates sake really for me, I have no wish to see Derry change league - Derry is probably my favourite league fixture, home and away. There is a case for examining the options though!
    Aside from my final line, don't really see how my argument is particularly emotional.

Moving to the Irish League wouldn't grow the club - it wouldn't make for a better product or make money or give us any real benefit.

It would just make it financially and logistically smaller and so, in theory, easier to run. Like I said, if the argument for the Irish League is that 'we can't get our stuff together enough to make it work in this league, we should move!', then it isn't an argument at all. If we're to move it should be because the move is beneficial, not because we're simply too dysfunctional to do anything about where we are now.

I haven't read a real pro-Irish League argument yet. All I've read is a combination of nostalgia ('think of the old rivalries') and negative reinforcement of our ability to survive in the LOI ('we should go somewhere where things are easier!'). Total nonsense.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

20. Thanks From:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456