Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Collins sacked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    But is he right or wrong in the opinions he offers here?

It would be interested to hear from Derry fans
    Derry may be a close-knit community with an element of siege-type mentality, but I think any collective defensiveness is as a result of how the city suffered under an oppressive smog of surveillance during the Troubles; "besieged within the siege", as Seamus Heaney once wrote. There maybe is a bit of suspicion reserved for perceived outsiders, but the community had to be that way. My Roscommon-born ma seemed to think that, having moved up to the north-west from living in Dublin after marrying my da, although she also praises the warmth of the people and has great admiration and respect for that collective spirit.

Anyway, whatever about Roddy's sociological analysis of Derry (or my own! ), it's not really relevant insofar as what Spudulika says is true; it's always "someone else's fault" with Roddy; never his own. He's full of bluster and is just trying to deflect from his own failings by bitterly lashing out at the club, the players, the city, James McClean, Shane McEleney, whoever he can blame and whoever he thinks has it in for him... He clearly has a sour taste in his mouth because he couldn't quite work it.

Stephen Kenny was an "outsider" in Derry too, but he was relatively successful at the club and the supporters really warmed to him when he was in charge. Did Roddy even move to the local area eventually? Kenny settled in Fahan and uprooted his whole family to take the job; put his kids in local schools and everything. He also happened to have a lot of local players in his sides when he was pushing close for the title a few years ago. Why couldn't Roddy do it if Kenny, for example, could? That's what Roddy should be asking himself. If Roddy felt pressured into selecting local lads due to something he perceived, that's his own weakness for letting it get to him. I don't think the fact Roddy was an "outsider" was always or necessarily going to be something that would hold him back; I think his appointment was something that didn't go down well with so many because so many were already well aware of what an absolute charlatan the man is. It wasn't the "outsider" treatment he was getting; it was the "gangster" treatment. It was for that reason that he probably felt he had to dig his heels in more from the outset; not primarily because he wasn't from the local area.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Cork have a full Munster Senior league to select from all to themselves and Derry have the Irish league and Ulster league to select from
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Derry have the Irish league and Ulster league to select from
    I don't really see how. The Irish League isn't a Derry City feeder club; it has 12 top-flight clubs of its own, including four from Belfast (a city three or four times Derry's size), over whom Derry wield no influence whatsoever and certainly not by being a League of Ireland club in the north-west of Ireland. Derry can't just pick and choose at will any player from Ulster that the club might fancy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Cork have a full Munster Senior league to select from all to themselves and Derry have the Irish league and Ulster league to select from
    It's not that easy. When Ulster Senior League clubs, and now, even Donegal League clubs, are able to compete on the wage scale, it becomes very difficult to attract players to travel the length and breadth of the country. That's completely putting aside the Irish League factor, where just across the border you have Institute, Coleraine and Ballinamallard, in the Premier Division alone, also competing for signatures.

Derry and Harps are competing for players within the same catchment area, and also to a lesser extent, Sligo.

I'd wager Cork and Cobh have similar problems with the MSL.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    This has already been thoroughly debunked but just wanted to add a hearty LOL to the idea that Derry cherry pick players from the Irish League. We're not Real Madrid, we're only Derry.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    seen an article in one of the tabloids yesterday about Derry City could be returning to the Irish League due to financial reasons. How realistic is this of it happening? I found it surprising to be honest.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Can't happen soon enough. Fed up visiting that **** hole of a ground and their persecuted supporters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    seen an article in one of the tabloids yesterday about Derry City could be returning to the Irish League due to financial reasons. How realistic is this of it happening? I found it surprising to be honest.
    Sounds like nonsense. It's always something that pops up now and again in the tabloids/online during silly season because it provides a talking point, but why would the club ever seriously consider a completely backwards and anti-ambitious move like that? In what way would it make or save the club any more money than the present situation? Did the piece explain how it might benefit the club financially at all? The club is very much an integral part of the League of Ireland and I think most, if not all, supporters would be proud of that. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    It's crapola.

Quote Originally Posted by avvenalaf View Post
    Can't happen soon enough. Fed up visiting that **** hole of a ground and their persecuted supporters.
    Where's your Christmas spirit.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Sounds like nonsense. It's always something that pops up now and again in the tabloids/online during silly season because it provides a talking point, but why would the club ever seriously consider a completely backwards and anti-ambitious move like that? In what way would it make or save the club any more money than the present situation? Did the piece explain how it might benefit the club financially at all? The club is very much an integral part of the League of Ireland and I think most, if not all, supporters would be proud of that. I don't see that changing any time soon.
    there was very little substance to the article so there was very little talk on the financial benefits of it.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    It's crapola.
    I'm assuming none of the fans would stand for that?

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I dont know about that, seems more and more of our fans are in favour, for the good of the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I dont know about that, seems more and more of our fans are in favour, for the good of the club.
    It's a handful of people, many of which happen to be on our club's message board. Can't see it gaining any real traction. And nor should it, it's a dreadful idea.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I would assume a large proportion of Derry fans would be nationalists, so re-joining the league of a country they don't identify/identify less with would be some sight.

And won't somebody please think of James McClean?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Bigger fish in a small(er) pond. Less travel. More regular Derbys v Institute, Coleraine, (Limavady, Ballinamallard?) as Harps seem in no rush to get the North West Derby going regularly. Games v the big belfast trio. Big improvement in the political stuff. An association that may appreciate the involvement of a newish football powerhouse. Novelty factor reinvigourating crowds. Potential to be a dominant force with regular European football. Setanta Cup keeping the few trips South.

There is certainly an argument for defectors defection. Assuming the IFA would have a welcome back for Derry City. A loyalty to the League of Ireland due to admission in '85 is isnt a big enough reason to stick. Newry could come the other way :P and Derry could be a leading club in agitating for an all Ireland league, reform from within the IFA. Possibility of larger govt grants for a club competing within the jurisdiction of the granter. Where's the down side?
    Last edited by Nesta99; 27/12/2014 at 9:02 PM. Reason: typo and cant spell

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Having to start at the bottom of the pyramid? I.e championship 2. That would mean at least 2 years of playing at a much lower standard than they would wish.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Having to start at the bottom of the pyramid? I.e championship 2. That would mean at least 2 years of playing at a much lower standard than they would wish.
    They'll always be playing at a lower standard no matter what level of the IFA pyramid they reach. As much as I'm sure Derry players love playing there, they won't be as enthusiastic if the level they're playing at is lower than the one that allowed McClean, McLaughlin, etc to graduate to the UK (I know they started in the LOI FD).

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Medium term strategy long term existance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quite frankly, if they're as badly run as they are in the LOI, they'll die even more quickly in the Irish League. Moving leagues is not a coherent business strategy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    It should be a declared aim of the FAI, IFA and UEFA to normalise the footballing status of Derry City F.C. and return the club to its native association. The rationale for the special dispensation it was granted in the 80s has largely dissipated. Throwing money at DCFC would be tie in neatly with Sinn Féin's bread and circuses manoeuvres as it seeks to offset the effects of its austerity politics in NI, so the club need have no worries on that score.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

25. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast