Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The right to vote overseas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

The right to vote overseas

Greetings,

With the up and coming European elections, I am just wondering was there ever anything done to allow Irish people like myself to vote overseas? I have lived abroad now for over 14 years and its a pity that I could never vote for anything in my own country. I am just wondering was it something that ever popped up in the minds of politicians over the years? Did anyone ever propose anything? What would stop something like this from happening? Are there certain stumbling blocks for example? I am sure that with huge surge of emigration over the last 3-5 years, that I am not the only one to think of this.

Just curious

Dec
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    Greetings,

With the up and coming European elections, I am just wondering was there ever anything done to allow Irish people like myself to vote overseas? I have lived abroad now for over 14 years and its a pity that I could never vote for anything in my own country. I am just wondering was it something that ever popped up in the minds of politicians over the years? Did anyone ever propose anything? What would stop something like this from happening? Are there certain stumbling blocks for example? I am sure that with huge surge of emigration over the last 3-5 years, that I am not the only one to think of this.

Just curious

Dec

I would guess the sheer size of the diaspora would have something to do with it. If you included all people eligible for Irish citizenship, they would outnumber residents of Ireland quite comfortably. It would be relatively easy for, say, the huge voting bloc of right wing conservative catholics from the US to start interfering in Irish domestic affairs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    That and the fact that the fact that those of us overseas can't vote means that our current politicians don't really give a crap.

I'm all for us voting from abroad be it for maybe 1 TD (easily sorted, a lot of countries do this) and the Presidency. But the weighting on the presidency votes would be difficult to work out due to the volume of Irish abroad. Also referenda...

Not too pushed on local or European elections as they aren't really important to the emigrant. And those of you still living in the EU can vote on those anyway in your own country. And likewise Irish residents in Britain can vote in all elections (bar referenda).
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    As I always say in this discussion- no representation without taxation.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I'm sure that can be arranged.

A nice step would be to give those who are abroad temporarily, say travelling, working or studying, when a vote is happening the opportunity to vote at least.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I'm sure that can be arranged.

A nice step would be to give those who are abroad temporarily, say travelling, working or studying, when a vote is happening the opportunity to vote at least.
    They can not even accommodate students or people who live far from home in Ireland never mind people who live abroad with their Thursday voting, never will happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    They can not even accommodate students or people who live far from home in Ireland never mind people who live abroad with their Thursday voting, never will happen.
    I know.

"We can't do it now, therefore we should never do it." That's a great answer.

The student thing is a load of bull to be honest. Any student who doesn't register where they go to college is a moron. The excuse that they can't get home for a vote is crap.
    Going to UCD for 4 years and having your vote registered in Achill is moronic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I know.

The student thing is a load of bull to be honest. Any student who doesn't register where they go to college is a moron. The excuse that they can't get home for a vote is crap.
    Thats bull, its not very clear how to register at all, barely mentioned on the airwaves how to do it. Plus its meant to be about democracy, you have to give people as much chance as possible to vote, irrespective of whether they have the wherewithal. Why make it so hard. Many nations have elections spread out over weekends.

As for the original point, I dont think I should get a vote. I am not in Ireland, and therefore shouldnt have a say in the running of the country IMHO
    Last edited by bennocelt; 07/05/2014 at 7:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    You have literally got to be kidding?
    The procedure to register in all counties is the same. If they are registered to vote in Ballygobackwards they surely can register in Waterford or Athlone or wherever. They did it once they can do it again.

Consistently in the lead up to the "last day to register" all national outlets inform people about what to do.
    There are ads run in papers. And lo and behold when the Local Authority in EVERY area are updating the electoral register they post a form to EVERY household in their administrative area.

You see, there's an inbuilt inertia for Irish people. The constant need to be told how to do something. Just go and investigate, you'll find it's not actually that hard.

Two reports on RTE with a quick googling. And that happens everytime.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0208/297...litics_voting/
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0917/474699-referendum/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    You have literally got to be kidding?
    The procedure to register in all counties is the same. If they are registered to vote in Ballygobackwards they surely can register in Waterford or Athlone or wherever. They did it once they can do it again.

Consistently in the lead up to the "last day to register" all national outlets inform people about what to do.
    There are ads run in papers. And lo and behold when the Local Authority in EVERY area are updating the electoral register they post a form to EVERY household in their administrative area.

You see, there's an inbuilt inertia for Irish people. The constant need to be told how to do something. Just go and investigate, you'll find it's not actually that hard.

Two reports on RTE with a quick googling. And that happens everytime.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0208/297...litics_voting/
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0917/474699-referendum/
    Sorry Bonnie my mistake, I wasnt talking about that, was talking about if you cant get home to vote, and postal voting, sorry if i wasnt clear!
    Yes you are right its not that hard if pushed, but still people should get as much of a chance as possible.
    Id rather have the inert vote than the ex ff voter tbh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Apology accepted.

I think myself and yourself should be able to vote for the president if I'm honest. How the logistics of that weighting would go I don't know but we shall see.

I would sooner see citizens in Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down Fermanagh and Tyrone get their votes first before worrying about anyone not on the island.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Apology accepted.

I think myself and yourself should be able to vote for the president if I'm honest. How the logistics of that weighting would go I don't know but we shall see.

I would sooner see citizens in Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down Fermanagh and Tyrone get their votes first before worrying about anyone not on the island.
    Playing speed poker and trying to type on foot.ie is hard, and every time i do i seem to miss a kick ass hand! ha
    What do you think in the future with the internet? We do everything now on the web, why not voting?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    The constitutional convention voted in favour of recommending diaspora votes for Presidential elections only last year. Website says "Government response expected in Spring, 2014". Oops: http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/vote...garda-scandals
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I know.

Well they do go to UCD...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Just seen this shared on facebook, and though it was relevant:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...l-9427571.html

The interesting thing is the comments are dominated by little Englanders grousing about how Johnny Foreigner should be allowed to vote at all. Regardless of the fact that such people seem genetically incapable of understanding Proportional Representation, and are strictly against the EU in spite of having no idea whatsoever what it is or how it works, they've been whipped into such a frenzy by the media and the right-wing political parties that anything to do with immigration, nationality, or Europe elicits this sort of response from them.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interesting point Peadar 1987 made about the sheer size of the diaspora. I'm not sure what they could do about that but I don't think it's the underlying reason for not having a system in place. With regard to students living out of their counties, an online system could easily be set up. Other countries have them. I've been residing out of the country for the past 2 years and was talking to a Kiwi mate who voted through their online a while back with ease while he was out of New Zealand. He himself has been out of his country for 5 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It was funny, Ontario had Provincial elections in June and I actually investigated whether I could vote as a resident. Big fat emphatic no. Canadian permanent residency or citizenship is a prerequisite here at all times. Seems a but much. But there ya go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emissions View Post
    Interesting point Peadar 1987 made about the sheer size of the diaspora. I'm not sure what they could do about that but I don't think it's the underlying reason for not having a system in place. With regard to students living out of their counties, an online system could easily be set up. Other countries have them. I've been residing out of the country for the past 2 years and was talking to a Kiwi mate who voted through their online a while back with ease while he was out of New Zealand. He himself has been out of his country for 5 years.
    No one is going to touch anything related to e-voting for years and years in this country. It would be good if you could change your constituency online though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Agreed!

And wouldn't it be better if we first got into the habit of voting while we live here? ABout 48% of registered voters didn't vote in the May elections - and that's before you count the unregistered.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Don't forget that less than 40% had an opinion on either abolishing or retaining an entire arm of the legislature. The apathy of some potential voters is something that has continually baffled me since I got the franchise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast