Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Galway FC - series 2

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts

Galway FC - series 2

First series is gone and to be effectively 4 points behind isn't too bad although most of us haven't been happy with the performances.

Last meeting with Galway was extremely tight and you have to remember they were missing some big big players that night including the brilliant Ryan Manning and as a result they looked very short up front that night so I'm expecting this weekends game to be one of our biggest tests yet. We simply have to preform to our best in this game if we are to get a result because that garbage football against Harps won't get us anywhere.

Sounds like Galway are bringing a vocal crowd with them so would be nice to see our first big home attendance of the season especially if this good weather holds up but I can't see it unfortunately.

Predictions?
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    we seem to be comfortable at the back and galway like us have been struggling to score ( bar 4 nil over cobh) so i think ill go with a 0-0 or a 1-0 ,for who im not sure.. we have created nothing in games lately , sullys peno was the only shot on target we had v harps which simply is not good enough!

I hope we play well as shels away the following friday is a huge game to close the gap! Hope TC gets the staring 11 right aswell...
    With the 1st series of games over i am very disappointed in how we have played!
    I think Smithers picked me because of my motivational skills.
    Everyone says they have to work a lot harder when I'm around.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    The more pressure we are under the better look at last year we had 4 or 5 must win games in a row just to get to the playoffs never mind the playoffs themselves we won them all and should have at least got to extra time in the playoff.
    I think we will win it's the games everyone expects easy victories where we struggle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    HUUUUUGE game now tomorrow night after shels defeat in Wexford. Bound to be a bit of nerves around the place so we need to make sure that doesn't seep through to the players and get a cracking atmosphere going as Galway are likely to bring a vocal crowd of their own. Could be a belter after all. C'mon de town. I'm confident.....of a 1-0 win 😎

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Longford Town 1-4 Galway FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    Longford Town 1-4 Galway FC
    are you mad? we'll hardly score... ahno #KeepTheFaith
    I think Smithers picked me because of my motivational skills.
    Everyone says they have to work a lot harder when I'm around.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Last week i said we'd lose 3-0, we won (just about). So I'm thinking if i predict heavy defeats we'll end up scraping some wins!!

8. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    We're due a good win, I'll go for 3-1 Town if we score fairly early. 0-0 if we don't!
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    As said above, an early goal is vital for us. Teams come and park the bus against us and pack the middle and the longer it goes on and it's scoreless the more frustrated we can get. I can't imagine a high scoring game tonight with two goal-shy teams and decent defences. In Galway, bar one great chance they had in the first half we were the better team. Would like to see don start tonight to stretch them and give some of our players in the middle a chance to get their foot on the ball and create things. Is Flynn still suspended? If so, my XI would be
    Bennion
    Haverty, deans, Sullivan, tyrell
    Rice
    Don Gorman o'connor Russell
    Sully

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Flynn sits out an additional 2 games I believe.

What's happened the young Carrigy lad? Is he injured or has he left?
    Last edited by Town Legend; 26/04/2014 at 2:18 PM.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Registration issues apparently, but he should be available from June or July I believe.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    What registration and who are you talking about

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklordsbane View Post
    What registration and who are you talking about
    Daryl Carrigy, brought in from Derby County. Forgot about him to be honest.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Correct can't play till June or July.

Awful performance tonight it's simply put, Stone Age football. Galway played some nice stuff 2nd half (some would argue we let them play it but all the same). Our plan is hoof it to Hynes and see what happens, we won't win anything playing like that. Players like Gorman are being bypassed with the ball over their head and as a result confidence dips. Delighted to get the point obviously and it still sets us up to put pressure on shels next week but I wouldn't like to think what position we would of been in only for Ricer's goal and same goes if we lose next week.

Big positive was to see Salmo back and hopefully hel get a little run out Monday night among a few others. Roll on!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    I heard Cousins give out to Willie Tyrell to stop hoofing the ball, I thought Tyrell was our best player he wasn't good on the ball but was great in defence without him GUFC would/should have had 3 or 4 more goals.

Not a word to Bennion who appears to just want to hoof it all night every game.
    You can count the times he passes the ball on 1 hand, most of those passes are to a guy that is coming under pressure so he has to pass it straight back to Bennion who hoofs it, best shot stopper around but awful keeper NEVER controls the 6 yard box,

I thought Rhys Gorman had his worst game for De Town I would have had him off at half time, but to be fair to him he wasn't given many passes from his team mates I noticed several times he was in 5/10 yards of space looking for a pass and ignored, also he kept Ryan Connelly quite while he was on look how good Connelly was when Rhys went off, 1 bad game in almost a year not a bad return so will forgive him that.

I thought O' Connor was ok in the 2nd half he got a lot more ball I think he played more in the middle then but can't be sure

I thought Rice did ok very good sometimes missing others very important goal though so fair play to him,

Noel Haverty took too long to get back into position also wandered into the middle of the box leaving his winger free an awful lot, teams have him figured out ball to the corner over his head wing free to attack

Peter Hynes some good work for about 10 or 15 mins but very average overall

Sullivan solid enough but caught out a couple of times

O' Sullivan scored and worked hard but should have passed to Rhys instead of Lorcan for the best bit of play of the night from De Town

On the plus side
    Nice to see Marc Salmon back hope he has no ill effects, we created 3 or 4 good chances, took the lead, lost the lead, were losing and fought back to draw

Are the players looking to get rid of Cousins, because they certainly don't look like a football team at the moment, the passing and ball control is shockingly bad at times, if you were paranoid you would draw some comparisons with David Moyes, (no i'm not a Man Utd fan)

wondering what will happen to the team selection on Friday v's Shelbourne if the subs get a run against UCD and win on Monday night (tomorrow)