Series 9 (PD)

Results and current scores:

3 p.m. Bohemians 0 - 2 Sligo Rovers FT
    3 p.m. Derry City 0 - 0 Limerick FC FT
    3 p.m. U.C.D 0 - 1 Cork City FT
    5 p.m. Athlone Town 0 - 0 Dundalk
    6 p.m. Drogheda United 0 - 0 St. Patrick's Ath
    7 p.m. Shamrock Rovers 0 - 0 Bray Wanderers

Absolutely outrageous sending off for us against UCD earlier on, Darren Dennehy wasn't even the last man, went in for the ball and got a straight red. Dire refereeing from Sutton. But we looked comfortable enough even with 10 men...if the game was still on now I don't think UCD would have scored.
    Last edited by adamd164; 21/04/2014 at 5:17 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Spirited pwrformance from Bohs in the second half.Sligo looked disinterested throughout barely deserved the ponts.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    I see Craig Sexton is listed as starting in goals for Athlone. Is he really there or did they put a life size cardboard cut out of him and stick it between the posts?!!

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Barely a chance created by Derry in their last two games against Bray and Limerick. This season could drag on forever.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Absolutely outrageous sending off for us against UCD earlier on, Darren Dennehy wasn't even the last man, went in for the ball and got a straight red. Dire refereeing from Sutton. But we looked comfortable enough even with 10 men...if the game was still on now I don't think UCD would have scored.
    Ah stop. It was nothing to do with last man; it was all to do with that being a proper leg-breaker of a tackle. Obvious red; was amazed at the protests over it. Interesting that you don't mention Cork's goal being offside too. Maybe the ref was quicker to reach for red to even out that mistake, but still an awful tackle. And then Cork booed the wrong player for the rest of the half!

Football talk would be so much better if people could criticise their own teams.

Was surprised at Cork's second half tactics - barely bothered to attack, but put ten men behind the ball. Always risky, that. But as you say, we simply didn't know how to unpick a massed defence. Two shots in the second half - one very tame. Tells its own story, that.

Poor game overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Hold on.... we, the away team, were down to 10 men for over an hour, in that space of time you had what I counted to be 1 shot on target and you're disappointed with our tactics?

No wonder UCD are so rubbish if their own fans don't expect them to score against 10 men at home in >1 hour!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Richie Towell with an injury time winner from the spot for Dundalk!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    Hold on.... we, the away team, were down to 10 men for over an hour, in that space of time you had what I counted to be 1 shot on target and you're disappointed with our tactics?

No wonder UCD are so rubbish if their own fans don't expect them to score against 10 men at home in >1 hour!
    Now you're getting confused. I already commented on our lack of guile in the final third. So clearly you didn't read my post there.

The red card merely evened the game up. Cork are top of the league for a reason and for the remainder of the first half created a few chances. The change for the second half was to put everyone behind the ball and hang on. I don't think that approach was necessary for a top of the table team against one in eleventh.

Not reading posts properly - taking what you want to out of them - is almost as annoying as not being able to acknowledge when your side deservedly picks up a red, or flukily scores a goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ah stop. It was nothing to do with last man; it was all to do with that being a proper leg-breaker of a tackle. Obvious red; was amazed at the protests over it. Interesting that you don't mention Cork's goal being offside too. Maybe the ref was quicker to reach for red to even out that mistake, but still an awful tackle. And then Cork booed the wrong player for the rest of the half!

Football talk would be so much better if people could criticise their own teams.

Was surprised at Cork's second half tactics - barely bothered to attack, but put ten men behind the ball. Always risky, that. But as you say, we simply didn't know how to unpick a massed defence. Two shots in the second half - one very tame. Tells its own story, that.

Poor game overall.
    Come off it Stu. Never a red and I speak as an impartial spectator!

UCD were absolute rubbish. The only thing that is going to stop them going down is Athlone! Belhout hadn't a clue where to be on the pitch although he didn't play too badly - however his attitude is rubbish. Mulhall was crap too - offered nothing. Douglas played well though.

The positioning of the UCD players left alot to be desired. There was so much space out by the stand in the second half and Belhout didn't make use of it. So congested in the middle too. Cork were never in trouble even with 10 men.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    The ref in our game was an absolute disgrace. Never in a million years a penalty. We deserved at least a point. Alot going on in the tunnel after the final whistle with a few bust ups being reported.
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    I'll agree with all that except the red card. Genuinely, a bad, bad challenge. Last man or intent don't come into it.

That was our worst performance since the opening day, so I'll still reckon our points don't reflect our performances so far. But if that was your first ucd game of the season, I can see where you'd get that only Athlone can save us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

That was our worst performance since the opening day, so I'll still reckon our points don't reflect our performances so far. But if that was your first ucd game of the season, I can see where you'd get that only Athlone can save us.
    I was certainly very impressed with UCD when Pats played them. We were fortunate to come away with all 3 points.

In other news, the Champions seem to be coming into some form. Seemingly Chris Forrestor scored a couple of crackers today.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ATFC-1887 View Post
    The ref in our game was an absolute disgrace. Never in a million years a penalty. We deserved at least a point. Alot going on in the tunnel after the final whistle with a few bust ups being reported.
    Just back from the game. I didn't think it was a penalty either. The Dundalk fans were very far away from it, so I would like to see a replay. The worst Dundalk performance of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I'll agree with all that except the red card. Genuinely, a bad, bad challenge. Last man or intent don't come into it.

Honestly Stu never a red. I'll buy you a bag of chips when Town play UCD when we see it on Soccer Republic!

Well if UCD play like that when against a 10 man Cork for 60 mins with two shots on goal for the rest of the season I think that Athlone will be your saving grace!
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Worst thing about us not having a point is, in alot of our games, we have been deserving of at least a draw. Rovers is the only game i can say that we were truly and utterly battered. We are having absolutely no luck at the moment.
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    Results and current scores:

3 p.m. Bohemians 0 - 2 Sligo Rovers FT
    3 p.m. Derry City 0 - 0 Limerick FC FT
    3 p.m. U.C.D 0 - 1 Cork City FT
    5 p.m. Athlone Town 0 - 0 Dundalk
    6 p.m. Drogheda United 0 - 0 St. Patrick's Ath
    7 p.m. Shamrock Rovers 0 - 0 Bray Wanderers

Correct Red Card. Morrison had gone beyond Dennehy and he unceremoniously took him out of it with a tackle that could have done a lot of damage to the player. Nothing got to do with not being the last man. His brother went crazy and was lucky only to get a yellow. Ucd did not take advantage of the extra man and rarely troubled Cork bar the last couple of minutes.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Just back from Tallaght. Rovers were very lacklustre and lost the plot completely when Bray got a dodgy enough penalty (turn the volume up on Soccer Republic to hear Akinade screech like a banshee). Once McPhail went off and then Finn, there was a severe leadership deficit there, somebody to put their foot on the ball and calm everybody else down. On the plus side, Sean Heaney looks an absolute player. I wouldn't have Luke Byrne back in the team any time soon.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 21/04/2014 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Highlight of the game in the Brandywell was midway through the second half when a single Derry fan broke the silence by shouting a single "BORING"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    In other news, the Champions seem to be coming into some form.
    On that note, it's interesting that the league has very quickly reverted somewhat to expectations; only Derry and Drogheda in the opposite half of the league to what was expected. It's been a weird enough first few weeks - Sligo, Pat's and Derry all in the bottom half, and Bohs, UCD and Drogheda all in the top half as of two weeks ago.

Edit - I see Athlone only named three subs tonight. WTF?!
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 21/04/2014 at 9:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Edit - I see Athlone only named three subs tonight. WTF?!
    There was actually nine subs.

Six of them didnt scan.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast