Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Athlone Town (H) 18/4/14

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

Athlone Town (H) 18/4/14

With Derry, Sligo & Shams lining up after this one it would be nice to pocket the win here. Interesting to see the attendance also.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Athlone have improved just a tiny bit in the last few weeks, and I think they'll fancy a point here. I think it'll be another slog, but given their likelihood of going straight back down, anything less than a win will be disappointing.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Well, we seem happy to roll it around our back four for long periods according to reports, and they are likely to come to Thomond and be very happy to observe from their own half us doing just that for long periods.

Bet it's a 4-3 thriller now I've said that

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Usually our games end in draws with Athlone and a lot of the time 0-0 ones. If we continue to be solid at the back though and Curran getting back up to speed i'll put us down for a 2-0 win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Better stuff tonight than when I last got to a game, but plenty to still improve upon.

You could kinda tell the way the game was going in the first ten minutes, Limerick were all over them, floating balls in from the flanks, corners and a plethora of set-piece opportunities given away by the Athlone defence, but it seemed like the only time they made something of one was for the first goal. On the other hand Athlone looked plenty dangerous when they got the ball in our final third, even if they were more wasteful than threatening with their final shot, usually off target.

Limerick could have put this game to be before HT, but couldn't seem to work enough chances to actually hit the ball at the goal. A lot of times players would run at the Athlone defence from midfield and just take a few too many touches, and let the opposition defence scramble the ball back. That, or just trying one too many interconnected passes just outside their box. One time it worked out, and Hughes just blasted it straight at the keeper. But there were a lot of possibilities down the flanks, Limerick just didn't seem to have the men to take advantage with headers, save for Oji's second half effort off the post (and the first goal of course).

Ryan was solid, only had one really difficult save to make in the first and made it. Backline was mostly OK: Oji was a beast as usual, but the left back position was caught out a good few times, especially for the equaliser.Williams had more than one shot on goal, and most of them were very wayward. Seemed like the midfield and even the frontline kept having to drop back to support as the game went on. Midfield was alright, Duggan got himself around, Tracy was busy all night, his set-pieces could have been a bit better. Prince was decent in the first half but just seemed to fade out of the game later on, wasn't surprised to see him come off.

Gaffney was a workhorse, up and down the field all night, but he looked totally spent with around 15 minutes to play. Good effort overall though. Curran was decent with the time he had, and I could have sworn he was the one who scored that first goal. Shame to see him come off so early, hope it's nothing too serious. MacManus had that one moment of brilliance for his goal, top notch stuff, but seemed subdued for the rest of his time.

On the other end of the pitch for the penalty/red card, looked legit to me though, and he had to go if so. Weak enough penalty from Tracy. It would have killed the game there and then, but missing it seemed to give Athlone new life, and Limerick were pressed hard enough for the last few minutes. That fella Gorman should have scored right near the end, and Athlone might have deserved a point really.

Pitch was in better condition than I feared it would be. Not as bobbly as before, some sand placement might have helped, and when watered the ball moved fast enough. There was a lot more miscontrol as the game went on though. And was it just me or was their more stewards than normal?

Taylor animated on the sideline as usual. Is Ivan Drago the nickname for him now? One thousand, one hundred and something announced, seemed like a good enough crowd in the terrace, Athlone brought around 30 - 40 fans, back across the way. Bit of a quiet atmosphere for the first half it has to be said, seemed like people only found their voice when Taylor started gesturing at them. Is there some issue with the OSC by the way? Some abuse directed their way from the singing section, couldn't really tell if it was good natured or not.

Nine points got, away from the relegation spots for the moment, and that's great. If they could push on a get a few points from the next few games, all the better. As for Athlone, I can't see them staying up. Too wasteful up front.

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Good result. The performance was a bit of a mixed bag. In all honesty, it should have probably been a draw, that chance Athline missed at the end was shocking.
    Worrying that Curran went off, hopefully it's not too serious.
    One last thing, 1,100 at a game on Good Friday with a bar service is awful. Really should have been pushing close to 2K, but I'll hope people had just gone away for the long weekend instead of having given up on us altogether.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin4 View Post
    One last thing, 1,100 at a game on Good Friday with a bar service is awful. Really should have been pushing close to 2K, but I'll hope people had just gone away for the long weekend instead of having given up on us altogether.
    Bar was closed though right? Just that little shop-thing with the overpriced plastic cups. Thought the good weather would bring more, but honestly not surprised by attendance. If it stayed at that level for the rest of the season it'd be a miracle.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Bar was closed though right? Just that little shop-thing with the overpriced plastic cups. Thought the good weather would bring more, but honestly not surprised by attendance. If it stayed at that level for the rest of the season it'd be a miracle.
    The dugout was closed, but they were still serving drinks in the ground. People have kind of become a small bit disillusioned after the first few home games. If we keep putting points on the board, they'll slowly come back.

Small bit worrying that we gave Athlone a chance, I can't see us being any higher than 9th come the end of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    goal.jpg

Was taking photos at the match last night, here's Robbie's opening goal. Not as crisp as I'd like, but sure could be worse!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    https://www.behance.net/gallery/Lime...l-14)/16247303

Uploaded a rake of stuff here, there's a bit more actual football in these ones, compared to the last match I got to. Limerick were awfully nice to let me go pitch side and wander the stadium

Last edited by Acornvilla; 20/04/2014 at 3:02 AM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Some really lovely ones there, very nice to browse through & thank you for putting them up.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Thanks Acornvilla some great pics there.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Great pictures, only wish the stadium wasn't so empty!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Great pictures, only wish the stadium wasn't so empty!
    Thanks! All going well I might try and get to the next home match v Cork. Hopefully Limerick continue to get some results, and if Cork are still up the top, there could be a nice turnout

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Think Cork will roll over Limerick as it stands to be honest, but might have a chance to grab something off the two Rovers.