Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Never a Peno and never a red card, makes it even sweeter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Again, I don't see your point. No one claimed we were the only ones with injury problems. No one claimed anything other than 'it happens'. People just said they were happy with the point as a result.

If we had our full squad available last night (and no injuries during the game), people would probably have been disappointed with a point. Not because we're entitled to win or anything, but because we've been on a great run, and ye've been getting poor results relative to ye're ability. However, not having the squad, and having a vital player taken to hospital means people are happy rather than disappointed with it.
    I hear ya!

But if we had a fully fit squad we'd be a lot higher up the table etc

All the same our performances deserve a lot more then 5 points regardless of who's on the pitch. Someone is in for a hammering some day soon. I hope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I feel out of pocket after the game in Dalymount last night. Bohs and limerick was prob the worst game of football i have ever seen. But Derick Tomney, to think that man walked out of there with €450 quid for his performance. Dishes out yellow cards (which cant be appealed) just like the first division. He would make Jimmy MaKell and Phil Cashcera (we miss you Phil honest) blush hes that bad. Good win but as LTID was saying both teams are rubbish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Just home from Richmond. Decent attendance but poor game of football from both teams, although Pats were the better side before the sending off. My first impression of the penalty/red card was that Byrne nicked the ball away as it changed direction and it seems people in the gantry agreed. Even if it was a foul, I don't see how it was a clear goalscoring opportunity when he had three players to get past, but those are the breaks. Pats look a shadow of the team they were last season. They were wasting time with over 20 minutes to go and showed no ambition whatsoever to kill the game off in the second half. If that was Dundalk or Cork, they'd have murdered us. The league winners at home 1-0 up and a man advantage trying to run the clock down for most of the second half against a side who had barely threatened all game... I've never seen anything like it.
    Clearly weren't trying to run the clock down. Gas.

Murphy made 3/4 top class saves. If he doesn't Pats win handily, despite not really playing that well. Deserved winners though. Should have had a penalty after 10/15 minutes (foul on fagan) but the actual penalty awarded was a joke. Considering Sean Hoare is 19 and starting his second game in the league I thought he was superb for pats beside Browne. Pats midfield looked a bit disjointed but through injuries they haven't had a chance to gel yet

Think Rovers had 2 shots on target (both comfortable for Clarke) and no real chances. McPhail was very lucky he wasn't sent off. The tackle on Bolger's head got him a yellow and within 5 minutes he had clattered into Fahey and Brennan.

Enjoyable game though, even if scrappy.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353 View Post
    But Derick Tomney, to think that man walked out of there with €450 quid for his performance.
    What?? How do I sign up?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    What?? How do I sign up?
    You've a full time job with the attendance thread

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    I hear ya!

But if we had a fully fit squad we'd be a lot higher up the table etc

All the same our performances deserve a lot more then 5 points regardless of who's on the pitch. Someone is in for a hammering some day soon. I hope.
    What really killed us last night was Darren Dennehy getting injured at the last minute. It forced us to re-arrange the back 4 and you really took advantage, albeit without scoring. In the second half Brian Lenihan was moved to left-back, where all of our problems were coming from, and was immense as usual. However, the hole that Dunleavy was leaving at the back was constantly exploited then. It was unfortunate that we had so many injuries, but as said, it happens.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    Harsh on Daly. He is pound for pound our best player IMO. I wasn't there tonight though.
    Undoubtedly our POTY last season but his performances so far this year have been well below that standard. He's a fan favourite (well-deserved) though, so like Gav, he'll get away with it for a while but a few more performances like last night and it'll soon turn. Hopefully both pull the finger out, start taking some responsibility for their own performances and improve from here. They both have the ability to be the best in the league in their positions imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    What really killed us last night was Darren Dennehy getting injured at the last minute. It forced us to re-arrange the back 4 and you really took advantage, albeit without scoring. In the second half Brian Lenihan was moved to left-back, where all of our problems were coming from, and was immense as usual.
    Yeah I think that's pretty accurate, part of the problem at the back was that Iarfhlaith Davoren had to fill in at the last minute and it's his first competitive start of the season so he's not up to match speed. We closed off that avenue at HT and Sligo had less joy down that flank after.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Undoubtedly our POTY last season but his performances so far this year have been well below that standard. He's a fan favourite (well-deserved) though, so like Gav, he'll get away with it for a while but a few more performances like last night and it'll soon turn. Hopefully both pull the finger out, start taking some responsibility for their own performances and improve from here. They both have the ability to be the best in the league in their positions imo.
    I'm still cold from last night - I'm going to start bringing a hot water bottle to the games.

Can't disagree with your posts on the Bray game. I would add that I think our centre midfield lies far too deep. It's clearly the tactic as O Neill effectively comes back to fill a central midfield roll when we don't have the ball! Leaving Fabio upfront on his own and then making it hard to break the siege. This gives the opposition free reign in midfield and Cassidy took full advantage last night.

Tough three games ahead - we could really of used those points last night as winter is coming (game of thrones nerd here lol).
    Drogheda United in this together

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Clearly weren't trying to run the clock down. Gas.

Murphy made 3/4 top class saves.
    They were just wasting time for the craic then.

Murphy made one very good save and a few comfortable ones. It was a poor game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    How come Zayed stayed in the bench for Rovers last night? He must be an expensive bench warmer!

On a separate note, Athlone appear to be without a paddle.
    Last edited by adamd164; 12/04/2014 at 4:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    You've a full time job with the attendance thread
    Almost as controversial at times too.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    How come Zayed stayed in the bench for Rovers last night? He must be an expensive bench warmer!
    I think he was due to come on before O'Connor got injured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    On a separate note, Athlone appear to be without a paddle.
    We definitely havent deserved to lose our first seven but its results that count.

A change in luck would do no harm especially after James O'Briens og against Bohs Monday and last night I believe that Enda Currans misheaded goal thats trickled over the line was possibly a Sean Brennan og. Will be looking at Soccer Republic for that one.

One positive is we are scoring goals and I feel our first win is close and we will push on after that once team confidence returns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    They were just wasting time for the craic then.

Murphy made one very good save and a few comfortable ones. It was a poor game.
    They weren't wasting time from 20 minute out. And comfortable saves or not, they were still chances created (against your "not going for it" comment earlier)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Fagan was booked with 20 minutes for standing in front of a defensive free kick. That was around the time your boys started spending a lot of time on the ground.

Yeah, you created chances, none of them any good, against ten men who were already having a bit of a shocker. Rovers played with more speed and intensity (but less accuracy) in the second half whereas Saints barely looked bothered. The only person who had a go was Conan Byrne who, to be fair, was up against a winger who has never put in a tackle in his life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    We are having absolutely no luck. Did not deserve to lose at all last night. Playing well in most of our games but as BR said its the results that counts. Going nowhere with the people in charge at the club either. We dont even train in Athlone and the players from Athlone are bign told to make their own way to games and training without any expenses being paid. I know of 2 players who will be leaving soon because of this. Over the last few weeks local players are having to get lifts off fans because the club wont organise lifts. Something needs to change now. Absolute joke of a club.
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    At the Drogs game last night and while the 'keeper was poor for the first goal, and seems to have totally lost confidence, he did pull off two top class saves.
    Too many players looked dis interested.
    Am hearing Athlone could do a Monaghan, I hope that's wrong, but with players having to beg lifts to the game off fans there are clearly problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ATFC-1887 View Post
    We are having absolutely no luck. Did not deserve to lose at all last night. Playing well in most of our games but as BR said its the results that counts. Going nowhere with the people in charge at the club either. We dont even train in Athlone and the players from Athlone are bign told to make their own way to games and training without any expenses being paid. I know of 2 players who will be leaving soon because of this. Over the last few weeks local players are having to get lifts off fans because the club wont organise lifts. Something needs to change now. Absolute joke of a club.
    I feel the table at this stage is reflective of how well teams have performed. We have been hearing this kind of talk from various parties as well. For example, luck has nothing to do with the fact that Baraclough didn't bring in players of enough quality this year. McGuire and Odhiambo were much vaunted but have been pretty poor, that to me is poor player judgement. Hopefully we will see some improvement from these lads.

The likes of Spillane and Ledwith to be fair were more squad fillers from whom not that much was expected and they haven't surprised anybody either. Budgets were cut so fair enough I suppose but don't call it luck.

In the same sense, if Athlone are making players pay out of their own pocket and expecting results then it's not going to happen, no matter how much the footballing Gods shine down on you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast