Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Series 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    Hoban has charged into a player who's already in the air, and not won the ball. Even if he had won it it's probably a foul.
    Look at the video again. How long after McBride jumped did Hoban jump? Maybe 0.2-0.3 of a second? Do players have to jump at the exact same time to be classified as a 50/50 ball?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Perhaps he was fortunate! I still see it that the ball was contestable and both players did so. Hoban had greater speed and momentum going in to the challange which could have gotten him above McBride he didnt and caught the player. I agree that if the same set of circumstances were applied to a challange on the ground it would probably have had at least resulted in a free out. If both player got up and walked away this incident would be forgotten. The injury was serious but Roddy has done himself few favours with both Dundalk fans, who generally dont have an natural born hatred of the guy prior, and Derry fans who have seen the comments for what they are - a poor and patronising attempt to take attention away from the result.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    So, do we all agree that Roddy Collins was wrong to accuse Hoban of deliberately trying to cause injury to Ryan McBride?
    I think any sensible being will agree it wasn't a deliberate assualt. The issue is whether or not it was a careless foul. I think it probably was on the basis that Hoban didn't win the ball and, through recklessness rather than intent, took McBride out.

Should Collins withdraw the accusation and apologise?
    Not sure about Neish's suggestion that managers should potentially be gagged and fined by the FAI - that's another debate - but if Roddy had a sense of decency, he probably would and should. That's unlikely, however, so is there any point in harping on about expecting Roddy to retract what was a silly and over-the-top accusation? He's a chronic attention-seeker who likes to stir ****.

Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I cant believe we are still talking about this, it was very unfortunate what happened McBride, but anyone can see from the footage that it was two players attempting to win the ball, what happened was purely accidental.

Put it another way, if Hoban had been floored in the same challenge, would McBride have deserved a card ? No, as it would still be deemed accidental.
    You seem to misunderstand the laws of the game. Conduct, be it reckless or whatever, need not be intentional for it to be deemed a foul. If a player accidentally takes out another player through carelessness, recklessness or excessive force, that's still a foul. Hoban also ended up on the floor from the clash, but the crucial factor is that McBride actually won the ball in the challenge. Hoban made no contact with the ball. He had a right to challenge, certainly, but that doesn't give him a right to foul his opponent. He still had to win the ball. He didn't and took out McBride. That's a foul and probably warranted a booking.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    Roddy definitely could have used a less accusatory tone, but (and I can't believe I'm about to say this) the more I think about it the more I come round to his line of reasoning.

Hoban has charged into a player who's already in the air, and not won the ball. Even if he had won it it's probably a foul.

It's not a fifty fifty, I give you McBride is slight favourite and we'll call it reckless.

Depending on your view of it if we get much beyond 60/40 then (having done a few 180s after being barged with both feet less than a foot off the ground) we're getting into cowardly territory. Obviously Roddy strongly felt McBride was favourite.

Roddy's a muppet, we're all agreed. Now, can we get some kind of acknowledgement that perhaps Hoban was fortunate to stay on the pitch?
    Wow!

What Roddy said was the problem not his tone!

'Roddys line of reasoning' Are you serious?
    Roddy accused Hoban of intentionally hurting McBride.

To top off your incredible post, you have the cheek to call Roddy a muppet!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Looking at it again, McBride hits the ground very heavily and cracks his head on the pitch which may have been the cause of the severity of the injury rather than the clash of heads, bad pitch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    I'm just surprised that a League of Ireland ref missed an opportunity to show a red card. They usually can't wait to send people off.

8. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The thing is that managers or players don't usually pay their fines- the club does. So a club's manager goes off on one after a game- in this case where he may genuinely feel one of his players was hurt through malice/recklessness (even if very few others do) and the club ends up with a big bill. I think the best thing to do with Roddy is ignore him.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    The thing is that managers or players don't usually pay their fines- the club does. So a club's manager goes off on one after a game- in this case where he may genuinely feel one of his players was hurt through malice/recklessness (even if very few others do) and the club ends up with a big bill. I think the best thing to do with Roddy is ignore him.
    If he watched the incident back on video he should of realised it was non intentional and then apoligised for his remarks. The fact that clubs often pay these fine is up to the club and this reason should no excuse such actions. If he is alouded to get away with it other managers players may think they can too
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    We're lucky Roddy wasn't at our game on Friday, he'd be asking for the death penalty for Stephen McPhail after he kicked Greg Bolger in the face.
    Here on a technicality.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    We're lucky Roddy wasn't at our game on Friday, he'd be asking for the death penalty for Stephen McPhail after he kicked Greg Bolger in the face.
    Would have loved to see that. Bolger is a grade A wa**er who would have no problem injuring another player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    You would have loved to have seen someone get kicked in the face? Good man.
    Here on a technicality.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Would have loved to see that. Bolger is a grade A wa**er who would have no problem injuring another player
    Appalling nonsense.

Greg Bolger is a excellent player with a strong competitive approach. He is also a decent, personable individual off the pitch.

15. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He still shouldn't have been playing on Friday after getting a straight red for violent play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He still shouldn't have been playing on Friday after getting a straight red for violent play.
    He missed that Bray game, himself and Brennan have both got an extra game ban for their reds against Dundalk and will miss our game against Bohs on Friday.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    He missed that Bray game, himself and Brennan have both got an extra game ban for their reds against Dundalk and will miss our game against Bohs on Friday.
    Pretty harsh on Brennan, mouthing off to the referree gets the same punishment as the attempted amputation of a players leg.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A straight red for dangerous play should be an automatic three games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    A straight red for dangerous play should be an automatic three games.
    I agree, Luke Byrne should get a 5 game ban for his disgusting tackle on Conan Byrne
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I agree, Luke Byrne should get a 5 game ban for his disgusting tackle on Conan Byrne
    I would expect that red card to be rescinded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The ball could have been seriously injured. 10 game minimum.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456