Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: luas

thecorner

luas

how many more crashes befor xmas

how long before somebody is killed

should it have been put undergound????????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thecorner

It's a lot safer than ordinary road transport. Drivers have to adjust to their presence.

It would have been made prohibitively expensive in the process.

Give it time. Light rail has made a big positive difference to traffic flows and journey opportunities in several cities here in England since reintroduction. I'm sure Dublin will benefit in similar ways, especially once a link is finally made between the two lines.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Most of the crashes have been fairly minor anyway, car driving idiot breaks his wing mirror and the like.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    It would have been made prohibitively expensive in the process.
    Couldn't have been more expensive.

Defo should've gone underground, short termism not too IMO. Possible exception would be the Sandyford line, where it's running on the old train line (which incidentally could've linked with the dart in Bray had Rathdown not given permission for houses on part of the line ). Would've meant less disruption in the process too.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    Give it time. Light rail has made a big positive difference to traffic flows and journey opportunities in several cities here in England since reintroduction. I'm sure Dublin will benefit in similar ways, especially once a link is finally made between the two lines.
    Well it could start by introducing proper and reasonably priced park and ride schemes. I have a few doubts - in Manchester most of the lines were the original surburban train lines (only the city centre bit was new). More of a myth, that many cities feel for. Compared to the trains, capacity is lower and the un-maned stations have lead to a huge increase in attacks (muggings and sexual attacks). Undecided really on Luas - may be convinced when they extend it to Cherrywood so that I can park and ride.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There's always one moany cnut

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Having driven in Dublin at the weekend for the first time since the Luas was running must say that Jackeen drivers just aint used to it up there yet. Must say though every Luas I saw was fairly packed.
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Luas is very good - best thing thats happened to the city in years
    its obviously limited in that (like the dart it only benefits those on the route) but so wot those pampered southside cnuts had a handy journey to workey every day while we in madcow roundabout land spent 87.4% of our natural lives in traffic

as an unexpected side benefit for anyone travelling the new line, its opened up the city and creates a real modern feel - the stretch from jervis to the museum being the case in point - already new shops and business have sprung up on the route - some of it even looks vaguely "cool" - smithfield may finally be opening up to dublins population at large - as long as it avoids any temple-barization it will all look coolaboola in a few years time

can only be good

the crashes are nearly all a result of car driver stupidity - but than we already knew irish drivers were the worst in the world - yes people a yellow box - learn the rules of the fckn road!
    Last edited by wws; 28/10/2004 at 4:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    bit sceptical at first at the amount of money pumped into it. only been on the sandyford line myself great way to travel. really fast on the old line but slows down considerably on the street. whats the tallaght line like?
    "If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better." Johan Cruyff

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Putting it underground would have just pushed up the cost without it being 100% safe. Barcelona metro had a crash yesterday and we're due some sort of disaster on the underground in London, although to be fair while the track is about as safe as Packie Bonner in the Dutch game in Orlando, the safety measures brought in since the last crash 20 years ago ensure that only the willful criminality of a driver (i.e. manually by-passing those safety measures with the intent to cause destruction) would ensure a smash.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i use it every day for work and its great ( tallaght line ). it takes 17 to 20 mins from my stop to town and i'm never waitin longer than 10 mins for one....the only thingi would like is a 5 day ticket to suit work.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And we'd be still waiting for it. How long has Dublin Port tunnel taken??? and they still not finished.
    It's only just begun...............
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    [QUOTE=wws]Luas is very good - best thing thats happened to the city in years
    its obviously limited in that (like the dart it only benefits those on the route) but so wot those pampered southside cnuts had a handy journey to workey every day while we in madcow roundabout land spent 87.4% of our natural lives in traffic

QUOTE]
    To be fair the red cow is part of the southside too .
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

Luas is a waste of money. Will be surprised if can even break even & aside from rush hour is only used by OAP in middle of the day as is free to them when they'd be on buses otherwise.

As far as i can see Luas is good if runs outside your home otherwise just causes more traffic congestion.

btw Could easily have achieved same affect as luas with buses on dedicated off road route.

Stupidity of luas can be shown by new attempts to link from st stephens green to o'connell st via nassau st instead of find off road or side street solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    btw Could easily have achieved same affect as luas with buses on dedicated off road route.
    Would the busses have to be "off-road" in order to go on an "off road route"?
    Are you talking about big wheel busses like Army trucks that would cut across fields and parks instead of going on the road?
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=Kingdom]
    Quote Originally Posted by wws
    Luas is very good - best thing thats happened to the city in years

QUOTE]
    To be fair the red cow is part of the southside too .

in the broadest sense yes - but in the strictest sense no - ure a long way from the dort line travelin up to tallaght v the mad cow and on up the naas road

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Is it possible to buy a return ticket for the Luas that doesn't have to be used on the date of issue? I suspect not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Is it possible to buy a return ticket for the Luas that doesn't have to be used on the date of issue? I suspect not.
    No.

Also, get a leap card. It's only a fiver. And will save you that almost straightaway with two return journeys and multimodal transit.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Luas is a waste of money. Will be surprised if can even break even & aside from rush hour is only used by OAP in middle of the day as is free to them when they'd be on buses otherwise.

As far as i can see Luas is good if runs outside your home otherwise just causes more traffic congestion.

Stupidity of luas can be shown by new attempts to link from st stephens green to o'connell st via nassau st instead of find off road or side street solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar View Post
    Would the busses have to be "off-road" in order to go on an "off road route"?
    Are you talking about big wheel busses like Army trucks that would cut across fields and parks instead of going on the road?

Well, he was kinda wrong. And I think he meant segregated bus lines like say Ottawa's Transitway where it uses the old canal bed of the Rideau and Ottawa Canals to have segregated running.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Rapid_Transit

And I know that I'm replying to a 12 year old thread. But I can't let that lie. And I hope that Peadar gets an email notification now that confuses the bejaysus out of him.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?