Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shamrock Rovers v Liverpool

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    As a Pats fan i'm definitely ****ed off we werent asked (as league champions)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I am glad the Europa League sold out. It would be very nice to have it back again, did anyone on this forum go to it? I am a little surprised, with greater tv and internet access, that more Irish soccer fans do not follow some of the other European Leagues apart from England and a bit of Scottish Football. Two teams from Portugal were in the final then, and AVB was manager of one of them, their fans were very colourful around the city center as well. Strange time to be in Dublin with traffic blocked off etc. Also I noticed out by the airport there was loads of photographers on the road beside it the day before. If this was to do with the soccer final it must have given Ireland greater exposure/media coverage than the visit of Queen of England and Obama (forgot about him), but maybe I am wrong on this.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by desaintsno.12 View Post

Warrior have organised this match.

They weren't gonna just invited any team from Ireland to play this, even the league champions. They wanted a team who are also sponsored by Warrior so that every player the public see's in Lansdowne Road that day will be showing off the Warrior badge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Warrior did not organise this game.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Warrior did not organise this game.
    Is that all?

Do you just not want to believe it or do you want to share some information on what was the reasoning behind choosing the 2 teams involved?

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    I am glad the Europa League sold out. It would be very nice to have it back again, did anyone on this forum go to it? I am a little surprised, with greater tv and internet access, that more Irish soccer fans do not follow some of the other European Leagues apart from England and a bit of Scottish Football. Two teams from Portugal were in the final then, and AVB was manager of one of them, their fans were very colourful around the city center as well. Strange time to be in Dublin with traffic blocked off etc. Also I noticed out by the airport there was loads of photographers on the road beside it the day before. If this was to do with the soccer final it must have given Ireland greater exposure/media coverage than the visit of Queen of England and Obama (forgot about him), but maybe I am wrong on this.
    I was at the Europa league final, picked up a couple of free tickets and thoroughly enjoyed it. There seemed to be an awful lot of free tickets floating around and it would have been easy to get a ticket on the day even if it was officially sold out.

Despite having an interest in following Rovers and Liverpool this friendly game is not really appealing to me at all. A ten year old me would have driven my parents mad wanting to go and see Liverpool. These days all I can see is Rovers B playing Liverpool's disinterested reserve side and I've got better things to do with €30.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots9 View Post
    Is that all?

Do you just not want to believe it or do you want to share some information on what was the reasoning behind choosing the 2 teams involved?
    There's nothing to believe. Good luck to Rovers and fair play to them for playing their part in organising it.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    If Warrior arranged it wouldn't you think that they would have been shouting from the rooftops about it? They haven't been mentioned in any of the press releases that I've seen

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by desaintsno.12 View Post
    You're ****ed off that your status as league champions wasn't recognised by being invited to play in a meaningless mid-season friendly between two B teams? It's a commercial fixture designed to make money and the organisers invited the two teams they felt would best achieve that. It sounds like Rovers were also pro-active in making sure they were one of the clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    What I think happened is that Rovers approached the FAI to see about availability of Lansdowne if they could arrange a high profile frinedly. FAI say "funny you should ask, we had great success with Liverpool last year and were thinking of bring them back. Do you want to come in and we'll give you €x and we'll take the rest?"

Rovers get their few bob hassle free (and great PR) and FAI get another few quid to pay off the Lansdowne debt. Liverpool get their shed laod of cash so all 3 delighted with themselves
    ---

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You discounted Warrior being involved earlier but even if they didn't organise it (I've never heard of a kit sponsor putting on a game in Ireland) they did help to grease the wheels and make sure both their kits were on display.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    I went to it, got tickets the day of the game. Although the match itself wasn't great it was a great occasion to have in Dublin, enjoyable day.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    If Warrior arranged it wouldn't you think that they would have been shouting from the rooftops about it? They haven't been mentioned in any of the press releases that I've seen
    Check out Warrior Ireland's facebook page it all over it.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Check out Warrior Ireland's facebook page it all over it.
    Warrior Ireland is John Courtney. He's a Rovers man

As I said, Warrior had nothing to do with organising it but I'd fully expect them to promote it. Why wouldn't they?
    ---

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Just reading in today's Indo that Shams are to collect over €100k for this gig. http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30143084.html

Can anyone explain, from my perspective at least, why Shams are getting preferential treatment from the FAI? Do the FAI not have a duty to the other Clubs to act in a fair and transparent manner? Level playing pitch, etc. - pun intended.

I for one would certainly give serious consideration to supporting the other Clubs if they refused to play both Shams' teams. A drastic and unprecedented measure but given that the FAI are in effect financing Shams why should the other Clubs just accept it?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Get over it. Rovers have always had preferential treatment from the FAI and from the establishment ( Media, revenue, politicians etc). Similar to certain favoured clubs in other countries, i.e.Linfield, Munich, R. Madrid, PSG. The difference being that the latter clubs win their major domestic trophies on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Dalymountrower; 02/04/2014 at 3:13 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I am not sure it was always Shamrock R who got special treatment; I remember Roddy Collins saying in his newspaper column a few years ago that Bohs were getting certain advantages when the money from Zurich Bank and the property developers was wining LoI titles for them. Everyone likes a winner so decisions from refs, blind eye turned to certain rule infringements often happen. The big Dublin clubs (whoever they may be at the time) also benefit, which again in natural. Other clubs just have to try harder and when it is blatant highlight it and fight it. There is a cost of fielding a B team this year for Rovers so this friendly income should go and cover that. We couldn't have a 7 team First Division.
    But sometimes picking winners is not that easy and Fran Gavin and the FAI may get it wrong, which is why it would be better to have the clubs themselves in charge of running the league, rather than the FAI. Then there would be less chance of blatant unfairness happening.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Whatever deal Bohs did with Zurich Bank is between themselves and Zurich. Yes, they got money and won titles, but they are now paying the price with Dalymount Park mortgaged to the hilt and heavily in debt.

The FAI are not a commercial bank. They are the governing body. They should be, and be seen to be, independent.

In relation to the B team, that is a reflection on the FAI in that they could not get a new member.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Nobody knows the exact circumstances of how the friendly came about and what how extensive a role the FAI had in its organisation so it's a bit much to be alleging favouritism.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    the various posts on this thread only reinforce the fact I love love love being a Rovers fan!!!:-))
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

23. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast