Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premier Division - preview 2014

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McNasara View Post
    A few words about the remaining two teams next week... What are your opinions on this written so far, given that it was written by someone who has never been to Ireland
    Kalen Spillane is not with Cork City anymore, he's with Sligo Rovers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    Kalen Spillane is not with Cork City anymore, he's with Sligo Rovers.
    ...and I wrote it.
    Until The Last Rebel!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Derry's defense can't be rated as 2/5 minim 4/5 and probably one of the strongest of the league, specially since Collins jr. it's better than anyone could expect.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McNasara View Post
    ...and I wrote it.
    Oh yeah, so you did. Apologies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I really enjoyed that. I wouldn't agree with all of your comments, but still pretty impressive. My favaourite part is the comparison with European teams.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    McNasara - it's great stuff. Just have to ask, why is a Srbski writing about and seemingly passionate about League of Ireland?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    McNasara - it's great stuff. Just have to ask, why is a Srbski writing about and seemingly passionate about League of Ireland?
    It is clear that football is my favorite sport and that Ireland is my favorite country, but since I'm not in a position to play football or to live there I "connected with these two" through betting. I've been very well financially speaking (compared to local wages) due to the good results achieved in this past years, so I hope the successful continuation and this is my database and the basis for predictions.
    Until The Last Rebel!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

website http://www.braywanderers.ie/
    weather http://www.myweather2.com/Football/I...erers-AFC.aspx

GK and defence
    Two young and regular defenders K. Knight and E. Hyland left the team, but even bigger blow was the departure of regular goalkeeper D. Quigley. A. Mitchell (experienced centre back), D. O'Connor (captain and central defender who can play as midfielder too), D. Webster (the most regular defender in the last season) and S. O'Connor (right back who was club's young player of the year in 2011) remained as the most experienced defenders, but there were no significant signings and this can be a problem.
    rating: 1/5

Midfield
    This part of the team suffered the most changes since D. Zambra is the only regular who remained. On the other side, experienced G. Dempsey (player of the year in Bray in 2011 and in Waterford in 2012), K. O'Connor (brother of club captain Danny), experienced D. Doyle, young C. Earley and very promising winger K. Waters (club's player of the year in 2012 and in 2013) left. There came seven new midfielders, but it should be mentioned winger J. Kelly (who was Bray's player of the year in 2010), experienced D. Cassidy (player of the year in 2010 and ex captain at Shelbourne), A. Hanlon (in his second spell at Bray) and S. Byrne (played with Leicester City youth team).
    rating: 2/5

Attack
    Major drawback is going of J. Byrne (second highest goalscorer in the LOI history and the legend of Bray who was club's topscorer in last two years). Also club's youngest scorer ever J. Mulroy is gone. Young Nigerian striker I. Akinade stayed, while another youngster C. Byrne (came from Shams Perth in Australia where he was a club's topscorer) and S. O'Neill (in his third spell with his hometown club) are the only important newcomers.

Manager:
    Alan Mathews (age 48)
    He will have a difficult task to succeed a club legend P. Devlin. However, he had all wins against Athlone (4-0-0, 10:0), but poor record against Bohemians (1-2-10). The fact is that there is a great experience behind him: won the FAI Cup (twice) and the League Cup with Longford, the Setanta Cup with Cork, and was manager of Shelbourne recently.
    rating: 4/5

*if they were a big European club: They'd be Real Zaragoza. Constantly battling against relegation and then, if they do get relegated, almost always promoted back the following season.

overall rating: 2.00
    Situated by the seaside where the wind can be a factor due to it’s exposed location, the Carlisle Grounds has become a big weapon in their struggle to avoid relegation each season. But generally speaking, this is a club that has experienced the most changes in the off-season. I won't talk much in detail here, but the team is definitely weaker in all areas compared to last seasons when they barely secured the survival of the league. Much will depend on the adaptation of a new coach who has the experience, but it won't be an easy job for him.
    Until The Last Rebel!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

website http://www.ucdsoccer.com/
    weather http://www.myweather2.com/Football/Ireland/UCD.aspx

GK and defence
    The weakest defense in the league last year looks no better at the moment. It is true that he experienced I. Ryan arrived as well as a young duo M. Barker and M. Scott from Bohemians, but on the other hand D. O'Connor (key centre back in te last three seasons) and M. Leahy (captain and club player of the year in 2012) left the team. G. Matthews and M. Langrty are other important player who stayed at the club.

Midfield
    C. Mulhall and D. Wilson returned to the club and they are the most experienced midfielders now, but two regulars from the last season S. Russell (left winger) and C. Walsh (right winger) are gone. However, a good deal was extended contracts for R. Benson (new captain and club top-scorer in the last season who can play as striker too) and R. Creevy (the most experienced midfielder form last year).

Attack
    There were no changes so that young D. Clarke (the second best scorer last year), C. Morrison and S. Belhout remain as the only strikers. But we also should not forget last summer departure of D. McMillan who scored 12 goals for the Students in the first half of last season.

Manager:
    Aaron Callaghan (age 47)
    Bohemians manager in 2012 and the first half of the 2013 was the 1st team coach at UCD and St.Patrick's Athletic previously. He will have a difficult task to succeed M. Russell, who spent even four years there. His Bohs lost every game against Derry City (0-0-5, 2:11).
    rating: 3/5

*if they were a big European club: They'd be Young Boys of Bern – eh…well…they’re students and students are mostly young…

overall rating: 2.00
    Traditionally the youngest team in the league will have to fight for survival as always. They lost their best players as at the end of each season, but this time remained and without previously longest-serving manager in the league. Anyway, the Studenst can be so tricky opponent for all teams because prefer very open and attractive football, but I'm really not sure how it will look without defensive leaders and with a new coach
    Until The Last Rebel!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Completed!
    Until The Last Rebel!

14. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12