Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: FAI Cup 2014

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I agree with Stewi Byrne, this is all about the loI establishment ganging up on Roddy, and no improvement will happen because of that groupthink. He is dead right also that what is needed is a complete overhaul of the league and not just "exciting plans for St Pats" by their owner and the legacy from John Deleaney.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Roddy looks for controversy and is now complaining when it happens. But what does that mean and how do we do it? A complete overhaul costs vastly more money than is available. Realistically we need clubs to run themselves better (and we seem to be very gradually getting there although it's very difficult) and then hope facilities and standards gradually improve with the help of the FAI and the department of sport. Of course it'd be great to see an overall plan and roadmap from the FAI to drive all this.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    I agree with Stewi Byrne, this is all about the loI establishment ganging up on Roddy, and no improvement will happen because of that groupthink. He is dead right also that what is needed is a complete overhaul of the league and not just "exciting plans for St Pats" by their owner and the legacy from John Deleaney.
    That's not even remotely close to what Stuey Byrne said.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I can't see what all the fuss is about.
    Roddy makes a statement & all of a sudden everyone throws a hissy fit.
    He's just a football manager making a statement so what's so special about him ?
    Just ignore him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It's Roddy. His existence winds up most people on here. Like yourself I don't see the big deal and the OTT criticism of him. It's Roddy, move on lads.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 07/11/2014 at 5:41 PM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    True, and John O'Sullivan makes this point well: http://ninetyplusfour.wordpress.com/...e-created-him/

But here's the thing: every time a public figure, especially one seen as being from within the league, has a go at the league publicly it damages the image of the league and of our own clubs. That doesn't mean people can't be honest or point out were improvements are needed, but throwing a wobbly and talking about being embarrassed does damage the league. Maybe not much- but it all adds up. As clubs try to bring in new sponsors, investors and supporters we could do without intemperate attention seeking crap from people who have done rather well out of the league.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    And it's certainly not as if Roddy is above the league. He's made an embarrassing mess himself of a lot he's had to do with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    True, and John O'Sullivan makes this point well: http://ninetyplusfour.wordpress.com/...e-created-him/

But here's the thing: every time a public figure, especially one seen as being from within the league, has a go at the league publicly it damages the image of the league and of our own clubs. That doesn't mean people can't be honest or point out were improvements are needed, but throwing a wobbly and talking about being embarrassed does damage the league. Maybe not much- but it all adds up. As clubs try to bring in new sponsors, investors and supporters we could do without intemperate attention seeking crap from people who have done rather well out of the league.
    To be honest I don't think anyone outside of the Soccer community even knows who Roddy is & those that do don't care about Soccer anyway.
    The same might be said of Joe Brolly who seems to upset people in GAA circles.I've heard of Brolly but since I have no interest in GAA I never hear what he says & I care even less.
    If I was in a position to invest in anything you could be sure I'd know exactly what I was getting into before I put up a penny & if I didn't do my research then I wouldn't be much of a business man anyway.
    Roddy is like Dumphy, just a mouth & not many sensible people listen to him either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The issue there is that people may know Dunphy is just a mouth, but his opinions are still spewed out all over the country. He and his uber-negative mates in RTE have considerable influence even if few people would admit taking them seriously.

I don't think we can just write off the LOI's image and brand as being irrelevant to those outside the tent. We'll never be able to grow unless we can bring more people in.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Hoban confirmed that he has rejected the opportunity to go to Kilmarnock on trial because he found the offer disrespectful.

"I don't see why I should have to go on trial," said the Galwegian. "I have proved myself in two years in the league."For some reason the league doesn't get enough credit - I don't know why as we have done very well in Europe this year and I think the standard is quite high.

"I would go on trial obviously if it was a Championship or Premier League club. Who would refuse that? But when it is League One, League Two, SPL, no disrespect but I don't see why I should have to go on trial if they had done their homework.

"I think we would beat most teams in League One in England and most teams in the SPL as well, so we should be getting a lot more credit than we are at the moment."

The 23-year-old confirmed that he would ply his trade with Dundalk again next term if no suitable offer from across the water emerged.

"Stephen (Kenny) is not putting that much pressure on me. Obviously he wants me to stay but it has to be the right move for me at the end of the day as I'm not getting any younger."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30731317.html

Patrick Hoban does not appear to share Roddy's dismal view of the league.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Great - I like his attitude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Good to see players standing up to this attitude. Only wish this view was shared by the general public though.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    He's dead right too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Fair lay to Hoban, I hope it works out for him. I don't think he's good enough for Championship level but hopefully someone takes a punt on him and it works. Worse striker have left this league and done well across the water.
    Here on a technicality.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Hoban confirmed that he has rejected the opportunity to go to Kilmarnock on trial because he found the offer disrespectful.

"I don't see why I should have to go on trial," said the Galwegian. "I have proved myself in two years in the league."For some reason the league doesn't get enough credit - I don't know why as we have done very well in Europe this year and I think the standard is quite high.

"I would go on trial obviously if it was a Championship or Premier League club. Who would refuse that? But when it is League One, League Two, SPL, no disrespect but I don't see why I should have to go on trial if they had done their homework.

"I think we would beat most teams in League One in England and most teams in the SPL as well, so we should be getting a lot more credit than we are at the moment."

The 23-year-old confirmed that he would ply his trade with Dundalk again next term if no suitable offer from across the water emerged.

"Stephen (Kenny) is not putting that much pressure on me. Obviously he wants me to stay but it has to be the right move for me at the end of the day as I'm not getting any younger."

Haha, my new hero!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    On another note it makes me feel extremely old to see a 23 year old talking about "not getting any younger".
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

Good for him.
    Great attitude from a League of Ireland player.
    He obviously has confidence in his own ability & good luck to him.
    Maybe Roddy could go to Kilmarnock.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142