Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Rams and Opposition Irish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Buxton is a bit of a cult hero at Derby. I think most would rate Keogh as a more natural defender but Buxton is a kind of inspirational figure, a bit like Puyol at Barca, minus the histrionics. We met him after the Bohs Derby friendly last summer and he seems a really sound bloke as well. The jury will be out on both should they gain promotion, especially after Derby's defensive horror show the last time they went up.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 17/05/2014 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Why are Doyle and the Derby lads meeting up with the squad on Saturday if they're not going to be involved on Sunday? It would have surely made more sense for them to meet up with the team for the next training session after Sunday's game. I get the impression that all four would swim over to Ireland to meet up with the squad after the playoff game though so fair play. Another shining example to put the 205 pages of Stephen Ireland nonsense into perspective.

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    It says they'll join the squad following the game, it didn't say immediately following the game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    That's true but I saw it here yesterday as well. It's still open to interpretation but I think it's implying that they are flying into Dublin on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by thescore.ie
    Derby County trio Richard Keogh, Jeff Hendrick and Conor Sammon as well as QPR’s Kevin Doyle are expected to fly in following Saturday’s Championship playoff final at Wembley.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 21/05/2014 at 12:03 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    OK, well I think I'll skip the CL Final and head out to Heathrow just to see

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Typical derby game at the City Ground ended 1-1. Andy Reid came off injured before half time, groin I think. Keogh, bar a couple of shaky moments, was pretty good. He made one brilliant headed interception near his goal line in the first half and threw himself about effectively, in what was an unstructured kind of match. Buxton was sent off for a second yellow near the end but Keogh and Shotton saw the game out comfortably enough. Leon Best came on just before Forest took the lead in the second half but Derby equalised around ten minutes later. Keogh headed off the bar from a corner, dropped to Shotton who just squeezed it over the line before Best made sure. Didn't do too much otherwise as Derby were retreating once Buxton got the red. Hendrick not in squad and expected to miss the rest of the month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Cannot comment on the rest of his performance but Keogh was poor for their goal.

Disappointing that Stephen McLaughlin has fallen completely out of favor again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He wasn't really. He was pulled out of position because Forsyth was still up the pitch from left back and nobody filled in for him. Shotton could maybe have done better alright, sold easily enough by the turn. Very harsh to criticise Keogh but hey, that's what you do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I nitpick to critique him and you nitpick to defend him. It's what we do.

Just took a look on the forum and the consensus seems to be decent performance but a brainfart for the goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Except I don't nitpick to defend him at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Just saw the goal again and I have to admit I got it wrong. Thought at the time that Keogh was left exposed and had to go to the player, he didn't as there was cover. Apologies, you win this round Knockers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Richard Keogh's on X Factor tonight.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Just saw the goal again and I have to admit I got it wrong. Thought at the time that Keogh was left exposed and had to go to the player, he didn't as there was cover. Apologies, you win this round Knockers
    He must have had a good game though as he was the acclaimed motm (or thereabouts) for Derby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think you'd have to say he was good overall, but the goal does put a dent on the performance as he had a few shaky moments otherwise as well. He failed to cut out a cross in the first half which could have been very dangerous and gave a way a needless free kick in a perfect position for Andy Reid also, which luckily nothing came of. He misjudged a header in the second half too and accidentally headed it backwards but Shotton mopped up.

On the plus side he was visibly the organiser in chief for what was a sound defensive display by Derby, they limited Forest to very little, and I already mentioned his brilliant piece of defending in the first half. He helped Shotton on numbers occasions as well, who was struggling with the beast that is Assombalonga. The fact that he was instrumental in Derby's equaliser would probably bring him up to a 7/10 I think. Don't think any other Derby player deserved more than that and most would have been 6 or less. Forsyth is probably the only other Derby player I'd give a 7, the rest were just functional.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 15/09/2014 at 10:11 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    We all know though that these mistakes get punished at PL or International level. I wouldnt read much into him organising the defense, if he cant organise himself properly for 90 minutes.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Good Champipnship level CB. Carries the ball out of defence well. Puts his head where it hurts. Makes mistakes.

All the same stuff as last year!

What has changed? I thought he was 5th choice CB so consigned to the fringes. However the Georgia squad suggests he has leapfrogged Delaney and might now be 3rd choice. I'm not fussed with him overtaking McShane as he's not getting regular games. He has more experience than Duffy who has still to prove he can even play to Keogh's level. I'm sure Duffy has the ability but he hasn't done it yet. Clark is picking up splinters on his backside, if even that. SSL is eating nachos in Greece though O'Dea is at least professional enough to be doing some training

I'm worried by Wilson at CB and would pick Delaney or even Pearse myself.

At club level O'Neill has got a lot out of limited but game centre-backs so I'll continue to give O'Neill the benefit of the doubt. Is Keogh any worse than Scotland's CBs?

I'm just wondering do we scrutinise Pearse's game as much as we do Keogh's? I can't honestly say I've seen much of Pearse at club level though I've seen him twice live for Ireland (I was with some guys who see things properly) and thought he was solid and did little wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It seems crazy that he's gone ahead of Delaney on all known evidence. Has to be an age thing? I'm not particularly worried about Wilson at centre back. He's playing well there regularly at a high level. It's the knock on effect of Ward at left back that worries me more. Sledge is killing us really.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    There could be ingredients to some conspiracy as to why MON makes a point of excluding Delaney from the main stage. Other than that curious exclusion, we have 9 or 10 players in the EPl, the rest are elsewhere, it doesn't take a great stretch (even for some irish fans) to appreciate that O'Neill has to fill out the squad of 23 with players from championship quality sides, etc.
    It would be quite a mind fck if O'Neill didn't fill out his squad with the best players available to us from the other leagues and one of those current candidates is Keogh.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    For what it is worth Wilson is currently out highest rather player in the stats I look at, he is at no 36
    our only player in the top 100 , actually Whelan is at 93, Delaney is 178.
    However that is only for 3 or 4 games so it is liable to change significantly as more games are played.
    Delaney was quite high up last season ie around the top 50 IIRC.
    As I said with such a low number of game those stats will be erratic, nonetheless Diego Costa is at no 1.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Cannot comment on the rest of his performance but Keogh was poor for their goal.

Disappointing that Stephen McLaughlin has fallen completely out of favor again.
    McLaughlin back on the bench tonight in Reid's absence. Best misses out against his parent club for Derby so Keogh is the only Irish player involved with Duffy on the bench for Blackburn.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast