Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Setanta Cup 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    6k would be a great crowd.. how many are Sligo likely to bring with the game on in Tallaght?
    Hard to garner at the minute, some regulars saying they won't go, under the thousand mark at a guess.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    there will be 3k at most for the SSC final in tallaght
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There's a big difference in attractiveness between a Setanta final in Tallaght and a cup final at the Aviva, to be fair. A lot will depend on how the clubs market it and get people on board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    I can't remember the crowd we took in 2011, possibly 2.5k, def over 2k anyway. Sligo should be able to match that, and with the extra buzz around this Dlk side, I think we should exceed our last turn out.

No reason this game won't exceed 5k, may not be much more than that, but I think that would be a decent crowd.

The 4pm kick off is better too.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Are Sligo fans really saying it is unfair they don't have home advantage for a final?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Are Sligo fans really saying it is unfair they don't have home advantage for a final?
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    In my opinion we'll bring more than the circa 2.5k we brought to Tallaght for the last final against Rovers in the SSC, if the club can do a decent bit of PR to push interest of course. As maligned as it's portrayed, it's still a cross border cup and a cup final. Couple that with it being on a Saturday afternoon and the feel good factor/ bandwagon jumpers/ part time/ occasional fans I can see us bringing 3k or thereabouts. The earlier kick off means public transport is doable for a few scoops and a day out for those who wouldn't be on the regular private buses the lads use for aways. 2008 the last time we won a trophy with the first division and then the cup back in 02, our lot will be well up for it and with how well we're going the last year or so hopefully we can win it and push on. Ticket prices are decent too, 15 nicker, 10 for those on the rock n roll, students, oaps etc.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Random question but how do clubs/the FAI establish who's on the old rock and roll or do they just assume nobody would lie about it? Do they wear special armbands or something..?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Culchies love a big day out in Dublin, there will be a decent crowd at it
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    6k would be a great crowd.. how many are Sligo likely to bring with the game on in Tallaght?
    I'd say a lot could depend on how the next few weeks in the league go. Our crowds in general have been down the last few years and the Setanta Cup wouldn't be that big a draw as compared to the FAI Cup when we're able to get 10k+ to go to finals. If we win the next few games interest will hopefully get going again. Then again we brought a huge crowd there for a the League Cup semi final last season.

So to answer your question, I've no idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Ya, but out in Tallaght? That barely gives you time to have a quick go on the slots in Dr Quirkey's and buy a couple of cheap lighters on Henry St for the folks back home. Hardly worth the trip.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    I love em all - big and small.

I prefer Richmond to Tallaght though - we have found it easier to win in Inchicore

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Random question but how do clubs/the FAI establish who's on the old rock and roll or do they just assume nobody would lie about it? Do they wear special armbands or something..?
    No, but I'm sure Joan Burton is working on it.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Well, Rovers would have about 500 Dub supporters to come and probably close to 2000 to make the trip. I'd say attendance will be closer to 5k than to 4k and definitely more than the latter. Oh, and of course, Rovers will be winning it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Wonder if Dundalk would have been happy to play the game in Sligo

Following the decision to choose Tallaght Stadium as the venue for the Setanta Sports Cup final, Sligo Rovers wish to make the following statement.

The club's reaction is one of great disappointment that The Showgrounds will not host the final.

Sligo Rovers chairman Dermot Kelly said: “It would have been a great credit for all the improvements and investment we have made to the ground in the last number of years to host the game.

“The club would have been confident of a capacity crowd and to bring the match to a venue in Dublin that has attracted diminishing attendances in finals - in which the tenants of Tallaght Stadium have participated - makes little sense.

“The region would have backed the occasion massively but it's likely now to get 'lost' in South County Dublin.

“Sligo Rovers made a proposal to the Setanta Sports Cup committee to host the game for a smaller cost, a likely sell-out crowd and less travelling time for those attending.

“To our supporters and businesses in the county, I can say that we did our utmost to put a sensible business case for ourselves and Dundalk to host the game here in Sligo without hearing or success.

“As we express our disappointment we move forward to supporting our club for the final and our aim to make history by winning the competition for the first time.”

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I really doubt Dundalk would be happy to let their opponents have home advantage any more than they were when the final against Rovers was in Tallaght.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I am surpassed at the statement from Sligo Rovers.

They must realise that staging a final in which they are a participant would be grossly unfair on the opposition. The journey between Dundalk and Sligo is a torturous one. I drove it a few weeks ago and drove on roads that are little more than country lanes. There is also no public transport between Dundalk and Sligo. The likelihood is that given the difficulties of travelling to Sligo, Dundalk would have little more than 500 fans at the final, while the "home side" would fill most of the stadium.

I would love to see a cup final in the Showgrounds, just not one in which Sligo are playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Doubtful. Why would they? Silly move by our committee. Might make sense if we weren't in the final and they were trying to draw attention to the quality of our improved ground and facilities, but just looks petty and whingey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Ill-advised and poorly constructed statement from Sligo Rovers.

In shows no appreciation for the principals of fair play and ignores entirely the salient fact that Dundalk fans will also attend the final

less travelling time for those attending.
    It descends into the ludicrous when suggesting that Dundalk would be a joint host

I can say that we did our utmost to put a sensible business case for ourselves and Dundalk to host the game here in Sligo without hearing or success.
    Sligo Rovers have achieved a tremendous amount within the community and in ground improvements (aside from the recent on-the-pitch success), but this is displaying hints of both arrogance and ignorance from Mr Kelly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Wonder if Dundalk would have been happy to play the game in Sligo
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I really doubt Dundalk would be happy to let their opponents have home advantage any more than they were when the final against Rovers was in Tallaght.
    Stephen Kenny made his views on this prospect very clear in this post-match interview last Monday night

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/sport/...ophy-1-6005566

While the Dundalk board have not gone public on their views on this proposal (which was floated a number of weeks ago by Milo Corcoran), it is almost certain that they were very forceful in expressing their preference for a neutral venue even with the potential of lower financial returns.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 18/04/2014 at 4:24 PM.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast