Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Tigers and Opposition Irish

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quinn played pretty well, he is a busy player and acts as a kind of play maker, he is comfortable
    on the ball and defensively strong, the sort of player we need in out midfield.

He is joint top on assists for Hull, pretty impressive given he has only made 8 starts and 5 as sub.

So defensive string, good passer as creating goals, quite a good combination really?

What more could you ask for?

As I said earlier he is made so stern stuff, he took a few whacks in the game, I was expecting him to be stretcher off
    after one ankle bending challenge but he was soon back on his feet.

Must be that ginger beard.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quinn was excellent throughout. Head up, busy, proactive, always looking to do something positive. Better player than Gibson on that showing.

Brady showed some nice skill but wasted two frees, both from the same position where he delivered a beauty in Glasgow in injury time. Looks a good player, but there are lots of good players his age so needs to step up a gear soon I think.

If McShane had played like that all his career he'd never face the ridicule he gets from some in Ireland. I really warm to him. Commentator said he was 36! A bit harsh.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 04/01/2015 at 8:06 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    McShane the last year or so looks in a lot better physical shape than he ever has. He's leaner and faster, I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport...eeks-1-7047680

Lenihan should be back in action in four weeks. Hopefully he can get a full pre-season.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Safe-...ail/story.html

Brady failed to impress up front against West Brom but he may get another opportunity to impress with Jelavic and Hernandez out of action for several weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    West Ham 3-0 Hull

Brady ill, McShane an unused substitute, 90 minutes for Meyler and a rare 90 minutes for Quinn.

I wonder what the odds are on Hull trying to resign Long before the end of the window? Or is it possible to play for three teams in one season (you know what I mean)?
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 18/01/2015 at 2:29 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I wonder what the odds are on Hull trying to resign Long before the end of the window? Or is it possible to play for three teams in one season (you know what I mean)?
    The hypocrisy is cringe-inducing. You disparaged another post mockingly in another thread regarding speculation on the potential eligibility of a kid with an Irish second name but switch over to this thread to speculate on Long moving back to Hull and, previously, the potential for a loan move away from St. Mary's for Long.

I'm able to bear your being outspoken and opinionated (or however it may be described) but consistency would be just.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Shane Long is a full Ireland International. This is a football forum for Irish football fans.

I didn't disparage any post mockingly. I made a couple of harmless comments that are only been picked up on because I made them. gastric made a similarly harmless comment about me on Richard Dunne's thread which I actually found humorous and inoffensive. I presume that offended you also? All things being consistent.

Some people might think it's narrow-minded to think someone is Irish or has Irish blood just because they have an Irish surname. There are plenty of people in Northern Ireland and Great Britain with Irish surnames who have no Irish blood and don't identify as Irish. Most of our new recruits at senior (and underage) level don't have Irish surnames and so were not conjectured about, and flew under the radar, on forums like these. This could be down to any number of factors. Likewise, my surname is not Irish yet all my roots are traced to this country.

I think the bottom line is if a player is eligible and is interested, he will become known to the relevant people. I don't think the FAI are scrolling Premier League and Championship team's squad lists to find players with Irish surnames.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    I take your point that it is not just about the surname, but it is a good early indicator nonetheless, for fans in particular, but as Aldridge, Townsend etc from way back, prove, it is just a starting point, I don't feel however you can credibly argue that an Irish surname shouldn't be a factor, or indicator or even an early reference point to rule guys in/out in the matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Indeed, no harm in using a surname obviously of Irish origin as a starting point for possible enquiry. What's the harm in simply wondering or asking? Nobody's making any assumptions about such name-holders or trying to impose a possibly unwanted Irish identity upon anyone.

I don't think we should just assume that a player will become known to the FAI simply because he might be eligible and/or interested. We can't be certain that all eligible or potentially-interested players will actually formally declare their interest. Maybe they'd fear it would be perceived as arrogant or something like that. There may even be eligible players who've never really considered it as realistic or worth their while for whatever reason, but who might seriously entertain the idea if they thought the FAI were keen to have them. There are plenty of players presently playing in IFA teams who would think like that. For a long time, Sean Caffrey, for example, actually made a point of not initiating any contact with Shane Duffy whilst Shane was still registered with the IFA. This was in spite of Shane having showed an eagerness. No movement was made until Shane actually formally declared his intention to make the switch from the IFA to the FAI.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Off-topic, McShane will likely find himself back in the team after James Chester and the manager's son both joined the injury list at Hull, while Bruce publicly criticised Davies for his defending for the opening goal: http://www.theguardian.com/football/...P=share_btn_tw

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Shane Long is a full Ireland International. This is a football forum for Irish football fans.

I didn't disparage any post mockingly. I made a couple of harmless comments that are only been picked up on because I made them. gastric made a similarly harmless comment about me on Richard Dunne's thread which I actually found humorous and inoffensive. I presume that offended you also? All things being consistent.

Some people might think it's narrow-minded to think someone is Irish or has Irish blood just because they have an Irish surname. There are plenty of people in Northern Ireland and Great Britain with Irish surnames who have no Irish blood and don't identify as Irish. Most of our new recruits at senior (and underage) level don't have Irish surnames and so were not conjectured about, and flew under the radar, on forums like these. This could be down to any number of factors. Likewise, my surname is not Irish yet all my roots are traced to this country.

I think the bottom line is if a player is eligible and is interested, he will become known to the relevant people. I don't think the FAI are scrolling Premier League and Championship team's squad lists to find players with Irish surnames.
    I didn't take offence to your post, nor would I allow that to occur. I did cringe though. Same way I cringed when you played the victim card above.

I feel you're being unnecessarily harsh and critical of a willingness by some to discuss the potential eligibility of a player due to an Irish surname. It's clearly an indicator, in spite of the caveats that you have outlined.

And, in the interests of not side-tracking this thread, I'm not commenting further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I'm not playing the victim card. Your comment simply made me feel uncomfortable as it bore no relevance to Shane Long, Hull or Ireland. It's like you were calling me out on the carpet for my comments on the separate Nolan/O'Hara/Noble thread. I wasn't passing judgement on other people conjecturing the eligibility of players. I think you are being sensitive about my comments. Come on.... they were pretty harmless.

If you don't want to side-track the thread then maybe discuss it on the Nolan/O'Hara/Noble thread or with an amiable private message next time instead of calling me out in a needlessly hostile manner like this?

i.e. (or however it may be described)

Come on. I'm not that dense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Assist from Brady (good cross from left) 2-1 Hull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    McShane & Meyler not covering themselves in glory for Chelsea's second goal. 0-2 at the KC Stadium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    2-2 now tho!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Hull really struggling now. Hard to see the. Getting many more points this season. Teams below them are starting to play well. John O'Shea's Sunderland are going to find it tough too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    McShane, Quinn and Brady start for Hull. 1-0 up approaching HT at home to Liverpool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    still 1-0 up about 2 min + stops to go.

edit only 2 mins added

oops 5 mins added!!
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 28/04/2015 at 8:32 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Over, 1-0. Huge win. Clean sheet for McShane. Given the importance attributed to CBs and clean sheets in this forum maybe that's very telling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Should see Hull save, Sunderland have a tough run in too, can't see them getting 5 point.
    Mind you didn't expect Hull to win this one either, so who knows.
    But if they can win this one there is no reason why they can't pick up more points against the big clubs.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast