Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Arter (M Nots Forrest b.1989)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    MOTM Arter speaking to Tony O'Donoghue post-Uruguay game: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10734754

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Harry Arter has written a moving piece for the Players' Tribune about dealing with the tragedy of losing a daughter at birth: https://theplayerstribune.com/harry-...-my-daughters/

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Arter
    If I’m being honest, my grief didn’t fully hit me until about a week after Renée’s death, when we were away at West Brom. It was Christmastime, and I kept seeing all these happy families everywhere preparing for the holiday, and it was just devastating to me. The night before our match, I was in the hotel trying to sleep. Around midnight, I started feeling really hot. It felt like the walls were closing in on me. I went outside and took a long walk around Birmingham, and there were some tears. You can’t help but ask yourself, Why her?

Luckily, I had a long chat that night with my mate Richard Hughes, who works for the club. He really calmed me down just by letting me talk. I cannot stress enough how much it helps just to talk to somebody. Even telling the story again now helps. The process of grief is a tricky thing. One thing I’ve learned in the years since Renée’s death is that the sadness can hit you at any time. There’s no reason for it. It just comes rolling in like a wave.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Signed up for four more at Bournemouth, 27 presently - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40599847

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Ireland international Harry Arter reveals how he broke down in front of his father after the Oman game': http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-36005290.html

No one knew about my Grandad [dying] going into the Oman game. I didn’t want anyone to know about it, but it added to the cumulative effect. What happened with Renee [having a miscarriage] and trying to come to terms with that, missing out on Euro 2016 with an injury, I had been sent off in the Premier League the week before, Bournemouth hadn’t won a game, my Grandad dying…. My life had seemed perfect up to this point. I didn’t have anyone in my family who had passed away and I was living the dream as a Premier League footballer. Suddenly, everything was closing in on me.

What I didn’t know if was whether the way I was feeling was normal and I didn’t want to pull out of the squad in case this is how I would feel forever more. This was a chance for me to get an international game under my belt and I had not had too many chances with Ireland up to that point. I had to try and play, but I was not right at all.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    "'It’s harder for players with an English background' - Harry Arter opens up on his battle to play for Ireland": http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-36082256.html

I think it’s harder for players with an English background making it into the Ireland side and in many ways, I don’t have a problem with that. If I was born in Ireland, came through the ranks and had earned my chance on the international stage, it would probably annoy me that an English-born player was getting in ahead of me because he was playing for a better club at the time. In an ideal world, a kid will make his mark in the League of Ireland, then go and prove his worth in the English Premier League and eventually become an international player.

I’m not the only one that doesn’t sing the anthem so that makes me feel a bit better about not knowing the words yet. I suppose the big issue I had when I went into the Ireland squad for the first time was that everything as very new for me.

So it was a new experience going into a squad of senior international players who all knew each other and trying to fit in with them all.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Found that interesting too. Connor Ronan said that one of the reasons he went with Ireland was the sense of camaraderie was superior to the English side he was in with. http://thestar.ie/about-us/connor-ro...heyre-missing/

One issue for Arter would be that he has nothing to compare it to. Not that his comments are particularly negative but he has been on a great journey with Bournemouth that has created a natural bond. The England set-up would surely be much, much different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'm sure it would be much the same experience - rather new and daunting - for any player joining up with an international squad for the first time, especially if no other team-mate at his club also plays for that country, but, as you say, Arter only has his experience of joining the Irish set-up to comment on and has no other experience to compare it to.

I'm a big fan of Arter. He's a decent lad and definitely strikes me as a thinker; he's self-aware, knows his place and I sense he appreciates the privilege of being part of the Ireland set-up. He's come through a lot personally and certainly doesn't deserve the suspicions and aspersions that have been cast his way by doubters - out of ignorance really - in the past.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'm sure it would be much the same experience - rather new and daunting - for any player joining up with an international squad for the first time, especially if no other team-mate at his club also plays for that country, but, as you say, Arter only has his experience of joining the Irish set-up to comment on and has no other experience to compare it to.

I'm a big fan of Arter. He's a decent lad and definitely strikes me as a thinker; he's self-aware, knows his place and I sense he appreciates the privilege of being part of the Ireland set-up. He's come through a lot personally and certainly doesn't deserve the suspicions and aspersions that have been cast his way by doubters - out of ignorance really - in the past.
    Agree with everything there. For a player who probably won't reach great heights at club level, he's going to have a great career post-football. My first instinct would be as an analyst as I think the big networks would be mad to get him for some of the afore-mentioned traits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Dropped completely for today's game against Burnley
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Dropped completely for today's game against Burnley
    I saw a tweet here saying he was injured but I've no idea if that's confirmed elsewhere, nor have I seen it mentioned elsewhere: https://twitter.com/merrisman/status/911586480702869504

It's possibly just the tweeter's (incorrect) assumption. Other tweets mentioning Arter seem to suggest he was dropped due to poor form, although it's surely odd that he isn't even in the match-day squad.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    knock in training according to a post on bfc forum, sounds credible to me, if they were gonna drop him you would expect it to be the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    he for a decent rating on his last game, his best of the season iirc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Has a 90% tackling success rate, second in the Premier League according to planet football: http://www.planetfootball.com/quick-...rs-five-games/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Well Bournemouth lost without him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He is below his form of previous seasons about 6.45, been closer to 7 in the past, but his last match was a 7.03
    best of the season so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He was injured and was not in the squad today. also a doubt for the Ireland fixtures.

http://www.the42.ie/harry-arter-bour...23160-Sep2017/
    HARRY ARTER HAS emerged as an injury doubt for the Republic of Ireland’s upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Wales.
    The Bournemouth midfielder has not trained all week for the Cherries and manager Eddie Howe revealed that he will miss the side’s clash against Leicester City tomorrow.
    “The problem isn’t a serious one, but he is injured and hasn’t trained with the group this week,” Howe told reporters at his Friday press conference.
    Arter hasn’t played since the 15 September and missed Bournemouth’s last league fixture against Everton.
    However, he was included in Martin O’Neill’s squad for the crucial double-header. So, it would represent a serious blow if he misses out.
    Jon Walters and James McCarthy are absent for both fixtures because of injury while James McClean and Robbie Brady are suspended for next Friday’s clash with Moldovs

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    is that right that McCarthy is out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    is that right that McCarthy is out?
    Well it seems he has been called up, but it seems Koeman is not happy about it, so it is not correct as I understand it from the reports I have
    seen in the (other) press..

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Well it seems he has been called up, but it seems Koeman is not happy about it, so it is not correct as I understand it from the reports I have
    seen in the (other) press..
    McCarthy out? Koeman might be out before him at this rate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I doubt Koeman will be too happy if McCarthy breaks his leg against Moldova!
    Koeman should be OK, at least untill Xmas, they have some easier fixtures coming up (bar Arsenal) which should help.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast