Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Arter (M Nots Forrest b.1989)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Why would he not want to play?

Show me the quotes where O'Neill and Keane seem to think he could have played. At best it's a very loose interpretation of what they have said.

Hendrick travelling with the squad is fantastic I think, really admirable. But he doesn't have an injury so it's completely irrelevant.
    IDK. Especially since he had a worse injury before the Euros and wanted desperately to make himself available for that.

There are a couple of quotes I refer to. One of them is in the Irish Times article I linked to.

And in response to your other comment, the Internet has been available since what, 1993?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    So far in the entire first half of this game, he had one good one-two with Coleman and won a free kick in a dangerous area just before the Moldovan goal. He touched the ball maybe once or twice apart from that.

Compare that to Long, McClean and Hoolahan, who aside from all being involved in our goal have had far more of an impact on this game.

His performance against Georgia wasn't any better.

Stutts literally mentioned the only two instances in that game where he did anything of note.
    Both important instances in a tight game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    IDK. Especially since he had a worse injury before the Euros and wanted desperately to make himself available for that.

There are a couple of quotes I refer to. One of them is in the Irish Times article I linked to.

And in response to your other comment, the Internet has been available since what, 1993?
    The Irish Times quote said nothing. Some say suspicions within the camp, or something woolly.

And again, trust me: an innocuous injury can be enough to rule you out for 7 days but not 10. Nothing sinister there. I ran a half marathon this morning at 90% effort. Could I compete tomorrow? No. Tuesday? Doubtful. Wednesday, definitely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Apples and oranges.

The quotes are there for anyone who wants to dig them up. No need for any of us to analyse them to death.

What I will say though is if that's genuinely enough to rule someone out of both matches, then Ireland - and most teams - would struggle to put out an 11 for every match.

If you held Jon Walters to the same standard then he probably wouldn't/shouldn't have been fit enough to start the last four games he started going back to Sweden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,321 Posts
    Apples and oranges.

The quotes are there for anyone who wants to dig them up. No need for any of us to analyse them to death.

What I will say though is if that's genuinely enough to rule someone out of both matches, then Ireland - and most teams - would struggle to put out an 11 for every match.

If you held Jon Walters to the same standard then he probably wouldn't/shouldn't have been fit enough to start the last four games he started going back to Sweden.
    That's not an answer. Please provide the quotes you mention.

Also, you're going to have to clarify this, given that you didn't register on foot.ie until almost two years after McCarthy made his debut

I'm pretty positive I was one of the few sticking up for McCarthy when Trapattoni seemed to be doing his utmost to encourage him and Wilson to defect.

And yeah the injuries aren't comparable. McCarthy was probably a lot more touch and go than Arter yet he came in and started after a month long absence.

I don't think Arter would miss a game for Bournemouth in these circumstances. O'Neill and Keane's body language doesn't assuage my doubts about that.

Just my two cents without casting aspersions on his commitment.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 10/10/2016 at 10:36 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    865 Posts
    The elders of this little corner of the www are beginning to sharpen their knives upon your mistakes TOWK, old boy.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 09/10/2016 at 11:57 PM.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    So is Jon deserving of credit for playing through the pain? Or should he have tapped out like Arter?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Apples and oranges.

No, not apples and oranges. It doesn’t matter what the sport is, some injuries only take a week or so to heal. Some minor injuries genuinely present a longer term risk if put under unnecessary strain.

You’re being evasive and disingenuous by saying “the quotes are there for anyone”. Here is the quote I was referring to. Is this not the one you mean too?

Emmet Malone (emphasis mine)

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...ight-1.2821560

Oddly, the Arter story becomes a little more complicated with hindsight. During calls made in connection with this article, it was suggested that doubts had been expressed within the Ireland set-up about the player’s commitment – it really was as tenuous as that but even that would have been enough, perhaps, to justify questioning O’Neill on the issue.

This might indeed be the basis on which it was asked but it is certainly not the way the question was framed, and so O’Neill believed, as did all of the other reporters, that he was being questioned about Arter’s intentions on the basis of nothing more than rumour.

Rather, all the available evidence points to Arter having quietly, and with some dignity, accepted a number of injury setbacks and disappointments as he waits to make his competitive debut.

It is not clear on this occasion whether the Irish management team felt he might, at a stretch, have pushed himself so as to be available to play despite an injury that scans suggested was not that serious, but both O’Neill and Roy Keane said publicly that they believed it was his prerogative to withdraw from the squad if he did not feel right.

This doesn't even say "who the "calls" were made to or who did the suggesting - Malone himself perhaps?.

And I don’t think Walters should have started versus Sweden, especially in hindsight, but the medical team gave him the all clear. If anything it strengthens my point. Even when the scans are clear, a player can break down. Walters did.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 10/10/2016 at 11:19 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    And this is Roy Keane's direct quote on the issue.

He’s had a scan. It was positive, but the lad is still feeling tight. He hasn’t trained today and if you’re not training two days before a game, that's a problem. Hopefully it settles down and he can play a part in the second game. It’s unfortunate; he’s had some bad luck with injuries.
    In no way does this suggest that Keane felt he could have played if only the will was there. He's actually being remarkably understanding and even sympathetic. Of course, Keane's autobiography is full of regrets of not minding himself a bit more and playing in games that he really should have sat out.

I know you probably had a cyber life before your foot.ie debut, but what was the point of you saying you were one of the few defending McCarthy and Wilson (as if it was something we should all have been aware of!). What has it got to do with you later accusing McCarthy of lacking commitment and now Arter?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Has he inevitably defected yet?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    No, TOWK is still here unfortunately.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Has he inevitably defected yet?
    He's obviously not going to defect, he's been an Irish international for 10 years. How and ever(sic), I wouldn't blame him if he retired from international football with stuff like this:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35115440.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Arter should recognise that social media doesn't represent civilised society for the most part. These clowns really are the bottom of the barrel and best ignored completely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    No, TOWK is still here unfortunately.
    Zing

Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    He's obviously not going to defect, he's been an Irish international for 10 years. How and ever(sic), I wouldn't blame him if he retired from international football with stuff like this:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35115440.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Arter
    "This was Irish people who had looked at a few newspaper stories and come to the conclusion that I was about to go and play for England. I never said that was happening and my stance on the whole story was that I didn't need to comment on something that was little more than a rumour."
    If that wouldn't kill the idea nothing will.

Joe I was being a bit facetious in fairness as the last few days in this thread have been interminable.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quick recovery to match fitness by (possible potential defector) Harry.

Bournemouth v Hull (15:00 BST)

Bournemouth XI: Boruc, Smith, Francis, Cook, Daniels, Stanislas, Surman, Arter, Wilshere, Ibe, Wilson.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Full 90.

Quelle surprise

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    hmmmm......

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Wonder what Merson has to say?

He had a poor game according to he ratings, 6.9 Bournemouth lowest (well one 6.8 and another 6.9).

Just seen the highlights of the goals he was not involved in any.

Nursing his injury no doubt.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 15/10/2016 at 6:07 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    hmmmm......
    shouldnt b questioning this lads commitment been with us since 17s saw him get sent off in a 17s game in tolka against I think Serbia and he was highly thought of at the time at charlton. He has turned his career around massively after been let go and moving for was it 5 grand transfer fee and obviously had a horrific year personally last year something he likely will never get over. This lad deserves our support and is a great example to all of us

24. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    I think most people here support him but a few cranks, sensationalists and couch potatoes who don't understand what a minor injury is will still see something to moan about.

I remember when Liverpool played Rovers at Milltown in a friendly in the early 80s. Ronnie Whelan got booed every time he touched the ball and got met with chants old "Why don't you play for Ireland?". Some obviously felt he pulled out of squads too easily.

Ronnie.
    Whelan.
    Irish.
    Legend.

There have always been cranks around football.

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast