Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 94 of 128 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Been wondering about the "win at home, draw away" narrative that's sprung up on the forum in the last few days with regards to the management team, so I've had a look at the numbers.

In competitive games, the home and away results are almost identical. One more game has been drawn away than at home, the same difference between home and away victories, and two games have been lost both at home and away.
    Code:
    O’Neill  P  W  D  L
    Home    12  6  4  2
    Away    12  5  5  2
    For me, this doesn't really prove anything. Draw your own conclusions.

(note these numbers don't include the games played at Euro 2016, where all fixtures were played on neutral territory)
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 18/11/2017 at 6:47 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I think it's more that when we are away, the waywe play would suggest a team that has a 'draw away, win at home mentality', but when we're at home, we don't have that mentality.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Been wondering about the "win at home, draw away" narrative that's sprung up on the forum in the last few days with regards to the management team, so I've had a look at the numbers.

In competitive games, the home and away results are almost identical. One more game has been drawn away than at home, the same difference between home and away victories, and two games have been lost both at home and away.
    Code:
    O’Neill  P  W  D  L
    Home    12  6  4  2
    Away    12  5  5  2
    For me, this doesn't really prove anything. Draw your own conclusions.

(note these numbers don't include the games played at Euro 2016, where all fixtures were played on neutral territory)
    To only lose 2 out of 12 games away from home is excellent. To only win 50% of our home games is not good. That's the only conclusion I can draw but I would imagine that the record under Trap is roughly the same with roughly the same type of football. I'd be interested in Scotland's/Wales'/N Ireland's comparable records during the same period.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I'd be interested in Scotland's/Wales'/N Ireland's comparable records during the same period.
    Scotland P W D L
    Home 10 6 3 1
    Away 10 3 3 4
    Wales P W D L
    Home 10 5 4 1
    Away 10 5 4 1
    N. I. P W D L
    Home 11 7 2 2
    Away 11 5 3 3

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    To only lose 2 out of 12 games away from home is excellent. To only win 50% of our home games is not good. That's the only conclusion I can draw but I would imagine that the record under Trap is roughly the same with roughly the same type of football. I'd be interested in Scotland's/Wales'/N Ireland's comparable records during the same period.
    Added in the home and away competitive records of previous three full time managers (Trapattoni's excludes Euro 2012)
    Code:
    O’Neill  P  W  D  L
    Home    12  6  4  2
    Away    12  5  5  2

Trapattoni P W D L
    Home      16 6 6 4
    Away      16 8 7 1

Kerr  P W D L
    Home  8 4 3 1
    Away  8 3 4 1

McCarthy P  W D L
    Home    18 11 6 1
    Away    18  7 4 7
    Kerr had the same 50% home winning record, but never beat a team ranked higher than 84, Georgia at home in 2003
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 21/11/2017 at 11:50 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I think it was established when he departed that Trap was statistically our best away manager ever but worst home (among managers who have managed more than a nominal number of games). It's worth noting that Trap's one away defeat was his last away game (a virtual dead rubber?) in Austria. Noel King was in charge when we lost the last game I think.

He failed to win 10 out of 16 home games. O'Neill has failed to win 6 out of 12. Not great but not quite as bad. I think it just goes to show how similar they are. I argued recently here that not a huge amount has really changed but I was shot down by one poster saying that under MON we've seen nothing even remotely as bad as the 6-1 home defeat to Germany. Well, we can add Denmark as a comparison now!

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think it was established when he departed that Trap was statistically our best away manager ever but worst home (among managers who have managed more than a nominal number of games). It's worth noting that Trap's one away defeat was his last away game (a virtual dead rubber?) in Austria. Noel King was in charge when we lost the last game I think.

He failed to win 10 out of 16 home games. O'Neill has failed to win 6 out of 12. Not great but not quite as bad. I think it just goes to show how similar they are. I argued recently here that not a huge amount has really changed but I was shot down by one poster saying that under MON we've seen nothing even remotely as bad as the 6-1 home defeat to Germany. Well, we can add Denmark as a comparison now!
    It seems to me as if O'Neill's "style" (if you could say he has one at all) has regressed more and more into being like the totally-risk-averse style of Trap as time has gone on. Why that is, I don't know, but I definitely remember when O'Neill took over, I felt it refreshing or almost a relief just to see our players pressing again after the mind-numbing dullness, lethargy and stagnancy of how Trap sent us out. I do think O'Neill's teams do press a bit more overall than Trap's teams ever did - it was virtually non-existent under Trap - but our use of the tactic seems to have gradually waned, particularly over this campaign. For example, there was none of it against Georgia away and, although our goal against Wales came from Hendrick pressuring Williams and forcing an error, there wasn't a huge deal of pressing otherwise in that game from what I can recall. That's just my perception of O'Neill's evolution (or devolution, even) as Ireland boss, mind; I have no stats, figures or graphs to necessarily back that feeling up.

Interesting interview here, by the way, from after O'Neill was sacked from his role at Sunderland:

Some of the questions - particularly the allegation that he had no "plan B" - could still be applied to O'Neill today in respect of his performance as Ireland manager, but he still gets quite tetchy and defensive with the interviewer when he's challenged. He has an evident difficulty in accepting criticism and in acknowledging possible flaws and weaknesses. As one of the commenters below the video on YouTube suggests, is it possible for him to ever learn or evolve if he can't first acknowledge areas of his management that could do with improvement?

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Yes, we press more now under MON although the high press against Latvia(?) has regressed since. Full backs get further forward too. But the general style and approach is very similar still.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    This is a very well put together piece from Kieran Shannon I think, no hysteria, just fair - http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...xfBj9M5IHfoBU=

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Added in the home and away competitive records of previous three full time managers (Trapattoni's excludes Euro 2012)
    Code:
    O’Neill  P  W  D  L
    Home    12  6  4  2
    Away    12  5  5  2

Trapattoni P W D L
    Home      16 6 6 4
    Away      16 8 7 1

Kerr  P W D L
    Home  8 4 3 1
    Away  8 3 4 1

McCarthy P  W D L
    Home    18 11 6 1
    Away    18  7 4 7
    Kerr had the same 50% home winning record, but never beat a team ranked higher than 84, Georgia at home in 2003
    Mick's home record was excellent I see. If only he could have combined the gritty away records of Trap/MON with that we might have been on a par with Germany.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Rumours doing the rounds and Martin O'Neill has been installed as an odds on favourite for the Everton job by all major bookies.

It might all be over.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Rumours doing the rounds and Martin O'Neill has been installed as an odds on favourite for the Everton job by all major bookies.

It might all be over.
    I hope he goes . I don’t want to watch what Martin O’ Neill has produced football wise for two more years .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I think that would be a good way out for all concerned. It means we can freshen things up without O'Neill having to suffer the ignominy of being sacked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post

It might all be over.
    Koeman being replaced by O'Neill. Ronald will love that....

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Would he bring Keane with him, I wonder? If not, Keane would probably be odds on for the Ireland job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    If he goes it will be mixed feelings. The final match was a real letdown and I didn’t agree with all of his decisions. But if we’re being honest he didn’t have a great group of players to select from and the absences of Coleman & McCarthy for important matches in this campaign are in my view a larger reason for our failure to qualify than his tactics or team selections. If our aim is to qualify for Euro 2020 I would be confident that O’Neill is our best chance to do that. I think Roy adds some value to the setup but would have reservations of him being the main man given his temperament & unpredictability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    FAI confident that he'll be staying https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...-everton-link/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    A bit harsh on Pulis perhaps but something we can easily relate to - http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...re-463522.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Opinion: Burnley Are Setting The Blueprint For How Ireland Should Play': https://www.balls.ie/football/irelan...nalysis-378472

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Sam Allerdyce has signed an 18-month deal with Everton, so O'Neill won't be going there anyway: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42186164

Page 94 of 128 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast