Page 88 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Why pick a fight with Ronald Koeman ? I don't get it. It's a no win situation as the club will always prevail over the international side, as it did notably in Keane's career on many an occasion. What is to be gained by having a pop at Everton except to raise their hackles ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Yeah agreed not helpful. Trying to patronise Everton the club which our players play at the highest level in the premier league , it just doesn't help. He pulled out of international games himself and played in the next Man U match.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It was Koeman that picked the fight I'm fairly sure. MON and Keane are fully entitled to defend themselves.

Plus it gave him the chance to make the very valid point that the Irish players' injuries are probably down to the intensive training they do at Everton rather than Ireland.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It was Koeman that picked the fight I'm fairly sure. MON and Keane are fully entitled to defend themselves.

Plus it gave him the chance to make the very valid point that the Irish players' injuries are probably down to the intensive training they do at Everton rather than Ireland.
    I know that Koeman was the instigator, but sometimes, as we all know in life, it is better not to react when provoked especially in a no win situation. Is the attack on Koeman and Everton more likely to make the players more available or less available? I know the answer to that if we're talking about human nature.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well I don't think it's likely to make them less available then might as well have a pop. I like the *****ly side to MON and Keane. I'd say it plays well with the players too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think it's good that the management team are trying to get our players to 'man-up' to their clubs when it comes to the honour of representing their country. We use to have players whinging about how our facilities were not like they had at their clubs, how our players would be offered cheese sandwiches and cold pizza for fuel, how they would have to train on a bumpy pitch where the cones were out of alignment and then to cap it all, our goalies belonged to another trade union. We even use to have players bunking off in the early hours to skulk back to their master and playing for their club instead of country. All in the past now thank God.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I think it's good that the management team are trying to get our players to 'man-up' to their clubs when it comes to the honour of representing their country. We use to have players whinging about how our facilities were not like they had at their clubs, how our players would be offered cheese sandwiches and cold pizza for fuel, how they would have to train on a bumpy pitch where the cones were out of alignment and then to cap it all, our goalies belonged to another trade union. We even use to have players bunking off in the early hours to skulk back to their master and playing for their club instead of country. All in the past now thank God.
    He played at the weekend for Everton despite not being available for us. That was a message from Koeman I reckon.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    There was a week between games. That's a long time. I think too much is being made of this. MON was in his right to play him twice after injury, Koeman was within his to be annoyed by it. There was an exchange of opinions via the press because papers don't refuse ink as they say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I wonder if McCarthy will even be first choice for Ireland by the time March roles around? And will he still be at Everton? Yes is probably the answer to both questions but who knows. I'd like to see him paired with Arter actually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    There was a week between games. That's a long time. I think too much is being made of this. MON was in his right to play him twice after injury, Koeman was within his to be annoyed by it. There was an exchange of opinions via the press because papers don't refuse ink as they say.
    I just don't think you should bite the hands that feeds you. You don't get someone to co-operate by slating them in public. If I was the Irish management team, I would just have ignored Koeman's comments. Anyway, we move on.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    BBC on the prospect of O'Neill taking over at Leicester.

The 64-year-old Republic of Ireland manager is a Leicester City legend after taking them into the Premier League and twice winning the League Cup during his spell in charge between 1995 and 2000.

He would be greeted like a returning hero and has exactly the manner to lift the dressing room and supporters in an instant.

He is, though, currently plotting the Republic Of Ireland's route to the 2018 World Cup in Russia and enjoys the challenges of international football so this might be a case of right man at the wrong time.
    On a separate note, came across this interview by Henrik Larsson with FourFourTwo when he was asked the following:

Who was the best manager that you worked under in your playing career?

I had many good managers: Wim Jansen, Martin O’Neill, Frank Rijkaard and Alex Ferguson to name just a few. And Martin knew how to get everybody motivated. I remember when we were about to go onto the field at Liverpool in the season we reached the UEFA Cup final – we’d drawn 1-1 at Celtic Park so had to score at Anfield. The talk he gave before the game made everything sink in for me. I said to myself, ‘F**king hell, I will have no regrets after this game.’

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    O'Neill ruled out a possible return to Leicester the other day: http://lansdowneroar.com/2017/02/i-w...r-city-return/

Quote Originally Posted by Lansdowne Roar
    Martin O’Neill has ruled out a return to Leicester City following the departure of Claudio Ranieri, insisting that he is enjoying his role as Republic of Ireland manager.

O’Neill earned promotion to the Premier League and won two League Cups in his five-year spell with the Foxes, but the 64-year-old is not interested in making a return to the East Midlands club as he attempts to guide the Boys in Green to the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

“I wouldn’t be going,” O’Neill told BBC Radio 5 live. “I’m enjoying the job here at this moment and there is a big, big game ahead [against Wales] and quite some difficult matches coming ahead.

“If somebody was trying to do two jobs at same time there would be problems if you didn’t get results on both sides.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Good little teaser here... I got 16/17. Not overly disappointed with the one I didn't get, would have thought of him eventually if I had more time but an easy enough one to forget.

http://www.punditarena.com/football/...in-oneill-era/

Keane on Off The Ball last night.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off...ity_postmortem

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Good little teaser here... I got 16/17. Not overly disappointed with the one I didn't get, would have thought of him eventually if I had more time but an easy enough one to forget.

http://www.punditarena.com/football/...in-oneill-era/
    Came across that last night. Managed 15/17. I missed one that crossed my mind but I didn't bother typing his name in as I didn't think he'd scored. Probably wouldn't have got the other one. I won't mention names as it'd spoil it for others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    14/17. One I'm kicking myself for not getting, two I'm ok with missing out on.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    15/17, one obvious one and one I'd completely forgotten had even played for us!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Fourteen here, but only one of the missing three might have come to me with more time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    15/17. The two I missed both have the same initials.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    15/17 - one of which was our most recent goalscorer (for shame) and the other being one of the ones that Stutts missed - and I got the more difficult one!

25. Thanks From:

Page 88 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast