Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: New Shirts/ Kits 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post

Really like those I have to say.

Red shorts with the home and blue with the away I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by eelmonster View Post
    I like the look of those sligo jerseys, though you'll probably (depending on the ref) need a third against us. What's the star above your crest all about?
    Can't seeing them needing a third at all. The white isn't dominant at all and with possibly having red/blue shorts with either they should be grand.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Silliness of using a star contrary to some rule that isn't a rule <<< Silliness of getting precious about clubs doing so.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Really like those I have to say.

Red shorts with the home and blue with the away I take it?

Can't seeing them needing a third at all. The white isn't dominant at all and with possibly having red/blue shorts with either they should be grand.
    If officials showed a bit of common sense, yet we still have to change when playing Pat's. Read on the Umbro Twitter that sligo will be wearing white shorts and socks with the home. Not that makes any difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    You make a reasonable point, but of course being reasonable isn't a quality that is found in many League of Ireland refs. I wouldn't be surprised if Sligo are in a third kit when they play us.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    When did you stop using the stripes? I don't know how historically accurate it is, but I always associated Sligo with stripes. The all-red kit never sat right with me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Cork City as usual are going to ignore the valuable October to March trade and release the New Jersey before the season starts. The away shirt is promised for cmas but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Silliness of using a star contrary to some rule that isn't a rule <<< Silliness of getting precious about clubs doing so.
    Italy is the only country that has this rule and anyone else using it looks stupid IMO

I did get a kick of Rangers having 5 stars for 50 leagues and Celtic responding with a 'platinum' star for their European Cup win

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    When did you stop using the stripes? I don't know how historically accurate it is, but I always associated Sligo with stripes. The all-red kit never sat right with me.
    Dont think there was ever an official switch as such. Just kept changing jersey style. Wore hoops one year when we were sponsored by Beamish. Then had the abomination of a jersey when we won the cup in 94..Hope we keep with the stripes. Always think it's a stupid being called the bitored when we were wearing all red.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It never sat right with a lot of fans Charlie. Myself included. In a very small way it annoys me that the most successful period in our history had no striped jersey as part of it.
    I haven't bought a jersey for years but there will be 3 in our house for the xmass. Lovely jersey.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Italy is the only country that has this rule and anyone else using it looks stupid IMO

I did get a kick of Rangers having 5 stars for 50 leagues and Celtic responding with a 'platinum' star for their European Cup win
    Germany have the rule as well. But it's seriously convoluted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eelmonster View Post
    If officials showed a bit of common sense, yet we still have to change when playing Pat's. Read on the Umbro Twitter that sligo will be wearing white shorts and socks with the home. Not that makes any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    You make a reasonable point, but of course being reasonable isn't a quality that is found in many League of Ireland refs. I wouldn't be surprised if Sligo are in a third kit when they play us.
    I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for the moment. Why? I don't know. But I will.

Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Cork City as usual are going to ignore the valuable October to March trade and release the New Jersey before the season starts. The away shirt is promised for cmas but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Any idea what the new home will be like? Still all green. Your last hummel shirt was a beaut. Haven't liked any of of Umbro's efforts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    It never sat right with a lot of fans Charlie. Myself included. In a very small way it annoys me that the most successful period in our history had no striped jersey as part of it.
    I haven't bought a jersey for years but there will be 3 in our house for the xmass. Lovely jersey.
    Did I read something before that Sligo moved away from the stripes to be different to Derry?

I totally agree with their return to stripes, definitely one of my earliest LOI memories seeing the classic red and white striped shirt, red shorts, red socks coming to play in oriel park. If they went white shorts and white socks it would look cool.

I like traditional tops for all sides, didn't like that awful Blackburn style black and white half we had around 92-94, some thought it was nice, i just saw it as a huge break away from the classic all white. It was a barren period too which never helps. To compare with another side, for me there is too much black in the current Bohs kit also.

On a side note while looking through the history of Dundalk FC book, I note we wore all white for a complete season in 1973/74 I think, I have no idea why. We did wear all white in the cup final of 2002, but that was to avoid clash with Bohs.

The coolest top in recent times was possibly the green and red stripes that Cork had mid 00's? Pats away last season was another very nice design. I do like the new black Dundalk away top, but all red was my favourite change for us, then again it's all about opinions.
    Last edited by oriel; 08/11/2014 at 2:54 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Agreed, and like many others doing similar stunts its just looked silly to everyone outside of those clubs.
    Anyone who knew the man and the value of the work he put in at the Showgrounds over the decades will be very concerned about how the star looks to people outside the club.*

* No they won't
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Didn't Sligo always wear a basic red shirt. originally and for several decades?
    The stripes was a 70's thing, wasn't it?
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Sligo United vs Sligo Wednesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Any idea what the new home will be like? Still all green. Your last hummel shirt was a beaut. Haven't liked any of of Umbro's efforts.
    Not sure about design but will presumably be mostly green. A deal was done with a Nike distributor a couple of months ago

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde View Post
    Didn't Sligo always wear a basic red shirt. originally and for several decades?
    The stripes was a 70's thing, wasn't it?
    Here's a picture of Rovers in 1928, the year we were founded (Free state junior cup trophy in the picture). The jerseys were stripes. The basic red jersey was worn alright and the striped jersey was worn a lot from the 70s onward alright. In case anyone is wondering about the blue on the new away jersey ... I assume it is cause Rovers was formed by the amalgamation of junior teams called Sligo Town and Sligo Blues. There is a team called Sligo Rovers playing in Sligo back as far as 1908, but 1928 was the year these two teams came together.

Last edited by redobit; 08/11/2014 at 10:20 PM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louth4sam View Post
    Strange way to do it using a symbol that normally signifies winning 10 leagues to do it. I remember they had a big star on one of their old jerseys wonder why they changed from this.
    Yes it relates to a 'locally' famous poem which was made up by a hugely popular fan / lifetime supporter / committee member/ die hard fundraiser Johnny Chadda who emigrated from India in the 1950s and fell in love with Ireland, Sligo and Sligo Rovers. His poem refers to Sligo Rovers as a shining star:

Even if the wind stops to blow
    The name of Sligo Rovers, will shine.
    And shine forever like the morning star
    Glittering in the sky

Johnny died a few years back and the club have acknowledged him by putting a star on the team shirt. Yes the star was a bit larger at first but they subsequently downsized it.

Your post suggests 'our star' somehow belittles Dundalk's NEW star above the crest which signifies 10 league titles. Congrats on your title but there is no LAW in the LOI to say why you can put a star on your crest / shirt or otherwise, so in short, get over yourself and enjoy your 'own star' and your recent success.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If Sligo want to put a star on their shirt, who cares? Little symbols and shirt styles in general have meanings of their own (Derry's candystripes I believe are a tribute to Sheffield United, Juventus' black and white stripes are based on a Notts County kit they wore early in their history) and a star doesn't have to signify anything to do with titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    As Charlie says, no design element is banned and, the Sligo Rovers connection aside, I'm all in favour of anything that makes a shirt even a little bit distinctive and gives a connection to the club's history and tradition.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast