Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE next season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Interesting. They would give results from time to time and I've seen the odd bit of goals and the like from League of Ireland games on the sports news. They don't give much in the way of coverage to the Irish league though. But definitely food for thought.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    Does anyone know how to check the ratings of the shows that RTE broadbast? Be interesting to see 7pm Monday v Tuesday -> Sunday.
    Neilsen have breakdown of viewership - no sign of individusl programs

Rte actully have a page on aertel

This crowd have top ten for each channel, without numbers (cup final just made top ten)

No immediate sign of greater detail

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    From the article about the new UTV channel:

CEO of TV3 David McRedmond said TV3 will continue with its strategy of focusing more on home-produced programming.

He said programmes such as Coronation Street were becoming more expensive and that this development will free up more money to be spent on TV3 production and commissioning.
    Maybe TV3 can be convinced to throw together a highlights package.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    New UTV channel might have a little interest in LOI, with Derry being one of the top teams, but I wouldn't put any money on them wanting any substantial coverage.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    From the article about the new UTV channel:

Maybe TV3 can be convinced to throw together a highlights package.
    Putting a brave face on what puts tv3 in some serious difficulty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    New UTV channel might have a little interest in LOI, with Derry being one of the top teams, but I wouldn't put any money on them wanting any substantial coverage.
    But Derry City wouldn't be the only reason they might have an interest, historically it would have been the only appeal i'd agree but if UTV is going to be making its way to every home in Ireland then that will be its audience and that's who they'll want to cater for.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    But Derry City wouldn't be the only reason they might have an interest, historically it would have been the only appeal i'd agree but if UTV is going to be making its way to every home in Ireland then that will be its audience and that's who they'll want to cater for.
    In that case they'll ignore LOI and concentrate on winning the Premier League highlights.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29857369.html

"The 'Monday Night Soccer' programme will continue, although there is no confirmation yet on a time slot. Clubs have expressed the concern that covering too many games live could affect attendances"

MNS back next season, thank Christ for that

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29857369.html

"The 'Monday Night Soccer' programme will continue, although there is no confirmation yet on a time slot. Clubs have expressed the concern that covering too many games live could affect attendances"

MNS back next season, thank Christ for that
    Great news, thanks for posting it up, missed that in the paper. Some fans think MNS is weak but I would certainly miss it of it ended, I look forward it to every week.

Regarding live games, I don't see the benefit for this for clubs unless they are properly compensated, and I think the away side should also get something. Depending on the importance of the game, live TV will almost always effect an attendance in LOI. Cup semi finals and end of season games exempted.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Great news, thanks for posting it up, missed that in the paper. Some fans think MNS is weak but I would certainly miss it of it ended, I look forward it to every week.

Regarding live games, I don't see the benefit for this for clubs unless they are properly compensated, and I think the away side should also get something. Depending on the importance of the game, live TV will almost always effect an attendance in LOI. Cup semi finals and end of season games exempted.
    Why should away teams be compensated when they are not losing anything financially with a live game?
    I do think it has an effect on attendances but I do like getting to watch a game on TV if I can't get to a game on the night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Why should away teams be compensated when they are not losing anything financially with a live game?
    I do think it has an effect on attendances but I do like getting to watch a game on TV if I can't get to a game on the night.
    Yeah fair point, but I think the whole live TV game compensation needs to be re-visited, for one such game last season v Cork City, we had our second lowest attendance of the season. It was a dreadful night, weather wise, over 500 less than expected turned up. That's a big loss in gate revenue.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that no compensation was being paid any more for tv games these days?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    No compensation to the clubs - does that necessarily mean there's no compensation paid?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    So 20 live games and a weekly hour long highlights show on at 7pm is the same as a handful of live games at 30 minutes on at 10.30/11pm?
    Back to this old chestnut again. "It has a prime time slot, so it's great". At the end of the evening, it's essentially still 6 musical interludes of 3 minute intervals dressed up as "coverage" and half an hour of pointless waffle. Pretty much what there was in TV3 days. If the time slot is all it has going for it, it sums up the quality of programme it is.

Would rather Setanta take it on, and do it justice. Longer coverage, better camerawork, possibly both divisions shown, no music, and repeated several times a week.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Glad to hear it's gonna continue, while Setanta would do a better job for sure the exposure would be significantly lower... i.e. there'd be a bunch of hardcore LOI fans watching it and no one else. As it is, it's bound to attract a few with a passing interest.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Look at it this way, if RTE are keeping on the show, given all the cuts they've made, it must be relatively successful.

Don't fix what isn't broken, because you don't miss it until its gone.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Would rather Setanta take it on, and do it justice. Longer coverage, better camerawork, possibly both divisions shown, no music, and repeated several times a week.
    For the umpteenth feckin time - you cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear. And I'm not talking about the quality of the football.

Maybe if all the channels got together they might be able to do justice to a greater number of games each week. But as it stands the highlight packages we get are edited together from whatever the local company covering game has got. I don't think any of these has more than two cameras covering a game.

It would take a significant investment, to improve these to near the level the broadcasters themselves are capable of. Setanta may indeed be able to give more air time to it, but (unless they found buckets of cash) you'd just be getting the same 15 minute montage repated to the same music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164
    Glad to hear it's gonna continue, while Setanta would do a better job for sure the exposure would be significantly lower... i.e. there'd be a bunch of hardcore LOI fans watching it and no one else.
    Tbh, that's not much different to what happens now.

How anybody who isn't a LOI connousseur is attracted to games with no marketing, no promotion, shoddy camerawork, poor quality coverage, and littered with music, I don't know.

Setanta is widely available in this country, and handing the rights to people who have the time, the investment, and the resources to improve and enhance the coverage is a no-brainer, over a network that treats the highest standard of club football in the country as an inconvenience. The FAI tried to do that with the original Sky international deal until RTE kicked up a fuss. There would be no fuss if a LOI deal went to a different bidder.
    Last edited by mypost; 23/12/2013 at 12:43 PM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Damn music.

24. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Remember too in the summmer RTE lost the EPL rights/ didn't keep them on or whatever and Nugent said they'd be concentrating more on domestic sports. In reality of course that means more money pumped into the GAA and boxing coverage etc but I'd be hopeful that would include improving the marketing of their LOI coverage too. What about instead of the hour long on a Monday they switched it to a 90 mins/ 2 hour Goals on Sunday like show instead? Also if Sky are interested get them to show a few games over the summer. They already show a couple of games a year from up north and with us having a summer season it fills in when they have no live football over the summer then. I've never heard anything in the news about them being approached or interested but it's a bit of a no brainer for both sides, they get cheap live football during the time they've none and the league gets some coverage on the almighty Sky Sports. Though I presume they were asked at one stage and weren't interested.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast