Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE next season

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    A little bit of respect for the Dundalk FM commentators is in order.

Don't forget that John Murphy captained Dundalk when they became the first irish side to win an away match in the European Cup when they bet FC Zurich 2:0
    They do good commentary in fairness to them, I enjoy listening to them, even if they are biased!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    I think the League should copy what the SPFL are doing, they have highlights of all games from all 4 divisions on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/splofficial). Surely the Airtricity League is able to do that ?
    I don't see why not, sure some clubs' fans already produce good quality highlights videos, Shels in particular stand out in my mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Between all the fans on foot.ie alone, I'm sure we'd be able to put something together ourselves if it came to it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'd have sworn I read somewhere RTE were going back to showing AIL this season but I can't find any proper info on it.
    They've been showing a couple of games towards the end of the AIL season for the last few years afaik, they certainly did last season.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawnville Hoop View Post
    The FAI stopped clubs streaming live games with the mindset it would increase the attendance, that's their mindset so I couldn't see them ever doing something like the above.
    Wasn't that because of the RTE deal though - RTE had the rights. If there's no deal, there wouldn't be the same issue.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Considering that it licenced fee there should be a charter in place to at least have a token coverage of domestic sports. I'm pretty sure the BBC have to cover certain events no matter how minority interest they maybe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toffeejay View Post
    Considering that it licenced fee there should be a charter in place to at least have a token coverage of domestic sports. I'm pretty sure the BBC have to cover certain events no matter how minority interest they maybe.
    I think that last time there was a public charter in RTE it was done in secret. It was mentioned here that it was going to be completed and no one heard sight nor sound of it in that two year period. Public my árse, i wouldn't believe a word of it.

Domestic football is absolutely their remit, and it should be their primary concern, and have the biggest share of resources (money, time, effort) devoted to it, but they failed on every level.

The league clubs seem to be indifferent about it though, and THAT is the most concerning thing about it all !?!?!!?!?!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Domestic football is absolutely their remit, and it should be their primary concern, and have the biggest share of resources (money, time, effort) devoted to it, but they failed on every level.
    jaysus a face, will you get a grip?

The league clubs seem to be indifferent about it though, and THAT is the most concerning thing about it all !?!?!!?!?!
    What makes you think this? Just because they don't **** and moan about stuff on their websites, doesn't mean they're not concerned about issues relating to their welfare
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    jaysus a face, will you get a grip?
    No way Dodge, because I think that its the whole crux of the matter. They are a National Broadcaster, they take a licence fee, they are opposing it being divided out, they already get allowances even though they are a National Broadcaster and i get all that and don't have a problem with it per say BUT I think its cut and dry ..... National Broadcaster = National League .... I cant understand how they haven't been brought to task on this, its like there is an apathy around it or something. Do people think they can operate on their own and do as they like?

And its not like i'm not consistent either, I was saying even before TV3s effort over a decade ago.

What makes you think this? Just because they don't **** and moan about stuff on their websites, doesn't mean they're not concerned about issues relating to their welfare
    Are you telling me that the league clubs have collectively flexed their muscles EVER to do something about it?

A simple Yes or No will do.

Even before the FAI took over? Dodge, most on here are fairly closely aligned with their clubs for decades and i think as football fans go, we are a fairly knowledgeable bunch and there isn't one amongst us could tell you when ever league clubs did something about this in any meaningful way. Yes i know they are not happy about it, and i hope to god they aren't moping about over it but what are they doing about it? What have they done? You cant quantify it because there isn't anything to quantify it. Bar a couple of strongly worded letters the league clubs have sat on their hands for the last 20 years, on an issue that is pivotal to making this league sustainable.

Even when the FAI were trying to barter with the National games etc. the league should have been making moves to strengthen our position, but truth be told (if RTE pull the plug on MNS) we are no better off than we were before eircom League Weekly back in the day. You cant argue that, we are back to square one at this stage.

Of course they shouldn't be moaning on websites, that is absolutely not the mechanism to do anything about it, there are other ways to achieve it and if it were me i'd start with finding out what RTE are legally obliged to do as regards coverage. If you dont ask then you wont get ..... and if the league clubs don't ever start to challenge this then nothing with ever change, you cant blame RTE because they are not being asked, they are getting away with it so why would they change?

Every chairman and CEO of league clubs right now, are presently the ones to blame, until they step down, and pass on the baton of blame !!!
    Last edited by A face; 30/10/2013 at 9:03 AM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    No way Dodge, because I think that its the whole crux of the matter. They are a National Broadcaster, they take a licence fee, they are opposing it being divided out, they already get allowances even though they are a National Broadcaster and i get all that and don't have a problem with it per say BUT I think its cut and dry ..... National Broadcaster = National League .... I cant understand how they haven't been brought to task on this, its like there is an apathy around it or something. Do people think they can operate on their own and do as they like?
    Simply put, nobody gets their own way all the time. The league is in no position to demand more coverage than it gets. The league gets more coverage than all other football gets combined. How can you argue otherwise?

Are you telling me that the league clubs have collectively flexed their muscles EVER to do something about it?

A simple Yes or No will do.
    You can't asnwer yes or no to something as vague as that FFS. Have you ever considered that they happen to think that 20 live games and a weekly highlights package is MORE than acceptable?

Even when the FAI were trying to barter with the National games etc. the league should have been making moves to strengthen our position, but truth be told (if RTE pull the plug on MNS) we are no better off than we were before eircom League Weekly back in the day. You cant argue that, we are back to square one at this stage.
    So 20 live games and a weekly hour long highlights show on at 7pm is the same as a handful of live games at 30 minutes on at 10.30/11pm? Lauaghable

Every chairman and CEO of league clubs right now, are presently the ones to blame, until they step down, and pass on the baton of blame !!!
    Blame for what? I can't see how you think there should be more coverage. Even your own club moaned about being on TV too much. If you're serious about "blaming" chairman, you might want to ask them how much they lose each time they're on TV

I don't mean to get personal a face, but you're going way OTT on this.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Both great arguments lads. Personally I'd sit on the fence here. There's definitely sufficient coverage of the Premier Division. Nobody could really ask for much more than one hour weekly highlights programme and 20-odd games a year.

The problem is, clubs see absolutely no financial reward with this. Clubs should be getting €5-10,000 euro a game shown live by RTÉ. They should get a yearly sum either at the start or end of the season to cover the highlights packages. It happens in every other world league, but not ours.

There's coverage, and then there's poor coverage. While the actual quality of coverage is neither world class, nor terrible, it's the treatment of the clubs that renders this whole process awful. The attitude around RTÉ and the FAI seems to be that clubs should just be glad they're on TV and not complain about a lack of finance involved, which stinks to be fair.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The attitude around RTÉ and the FAI seems to be that clubs should just be glad they're on TV and not complain about a lack of finance involved, which stinks to be fair.
    Are RTE not paying for games, or is it just going into the black hole of FAI finances (like the league sponsorships)?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    This season's live games

LOI only; RTE 12, Setanta 8
    LOI/FAI/EA; RTE 15 (inc FAI cup final). Setanta; 9
    All games; RTE 15 (inc FAI cup final). Setanta 18
    What's happened with TG4. Is it cos Galway are gone that they don't shown games anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bray Head View Post
    What's happened with TG4. Is it cos Galway are gone that they don't shown games anymore.
    TG4 and RTÉ are the same thing now aren't they? They showed Harps once or twice in the past if I remember right when we had a fluent Irish speaking chairman.

Often wondered myself why they never picked up on a few games though.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Simply put, nobody gets their own way all the time. The league is in no position to demand more coverage than it gets. The league gets more coverage than all other football gets combined. How can you argue otherwise?

You can't asnwer yes or no to something as vague as that FFS. Have you ever considered that they happen to think that 20 live games and a weekly highlights package is MORE than acceptable?

So 20 live games and a weekly hour long highlights show on at 7pm is the same as a handful of live games at 30 minutes on at 10.30/11pm? Lauaghable

Blame for what? I can't see how you think there should be more coverage. Even your own club moaned about being on TV too much. If you're serious about "blaming" chairman, you might want to ask them how much they lose each time they're on TV

I don't mean to get personal a face, but you're going way OTT on this.
    Dodge, for the record, my argument is if MNS is pulled and less games are being shown. That's the reason for the rant in the first place.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    TG4 and RTÉ are the same thing now aren't they? They showed Harps once or twice in the past if I remember right when we had a fluent Irish speaking chairman.

Often wondered myself why they never picked up on a few games though.
    Nope.

Never have been. They are an independent statutory broadcaster. Similar in status as Channel 4 in Britain.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    TG4's coverage is missed, though I don't speak much Irish they really made a decent effort of putting together a good package for live games.

It'll be interesting to see how next Monday's MNS is wrapped up... not looking likely there'll be any "see you next March" type statements.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    TG4's coverage is missed, though I don't speak much Irish they really made a decent effort of putting together a good package for live games.
    They did yeah. Usually a substantial preview with footage from recent games. Gave enough time to speak to managers before and after the matches.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    They've been showing a couple of games towards the end of the AIL season for the last few years afaik, they certainly did last season.
    As far as I can remember they have only been showing the AIL final in recent years. There is against the head alright but that doesn't kick in till the six nations and at that stage you are only talking about the end of the ail seasons highlights. With coverage of the pro 12 they have pretty much given up on AIL. LOI crowds are bad but AIL is worse for most clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I wouldn't be too bothered if Setanta took over live games and the highlights as well or some arrangement with TV3. I think there's some link in ownership. Setanta have been doing a decent job of highlights from across the water.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Normally at the end of MNS each season they say "we'll see you again in march" This year Collins said "until next time" I'd guess nothing has been agreed between the FAI and RTE regarding future seasons. I think that could have been the last MNS...

24. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast